RE: [PanoToolsNG] OT - canon-introduces-first-hybrid-image-stabilization-lens-ef-100mm

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
      LOL,

      There's no replacement for IS when you need it, which would be OFF tripod.
      I'm not much of a fan of using IS to get below 1/60, since usually blur
      starts coming from the subject not the lens, but above 1/60 I believe IS
      will improve your shots slightly.

      This seems like a good bug hunting lens.

      And why Zeiss, isn't it 50% more expensive?

      Sacha Griffin

      Southern Digital Solutions LLC

      http://www.southern-digital.com

      http://www.seeit360.net

      GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

      404-551-4275

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
        The Sony 100mm f/2.8 macro (ExMinolta) is also excellent - but a lot cheaper.
        http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/47-sony-alpha-aps-c/378-sony_100_28

        And Sony states like Canon, that the in-body optical stabilisation system of
        the Alpha 850 delivers up to 4 steps of anti-shake correction with all
        compatible lenses, opening up even greater creative possibilities when
        shooting handheld. This system works with EVERY lens....

        -----
        Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu
      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
          Never tried a zeiss lens uh?!
          Canon 100 macro old version is nothing special.
          105 micro Nikkor 2.8D was a killer
          100 Zeiss Makro Planar is visibly far better.

          Never got an IS lens, nor ever used AF features after the tragic first
          experience with a Nikon F90X. Then thrown off and upgrafed to F3.
          Small tries with digital Canons always led to big problems.
          Very low trustin in anything automatic concerning a photo camera, as things
          that can be "forgotten on or off" :-)))))
          As the tripod is a Necessory. If you are in reproduction or architecture you
          are with a tripod. Period.
          If you use macro for insects or wildlife you are with flash AND tripod.
          If I'm without tripod I make shure to have enough wine in my blood not to
          shake. And I do not mind to have small shakings in the final image!
          :-D
          I'd like however to have central shutters in the camera, and no mirrors...

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
            oooooooh, yessss.
            And Minolta 100 macro was just a bit better than Nikkor, in some situations.
            Minolta had some very good lenses. 70-200f4, the white one, 50mm 1.4 the
            20mm ecc.