Re: [PanoToolsNG] OT - canon-introduces-first-hybrid-image-stabilization-lens-ef-100mm

  • luca vascon
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
      Buy the 100mm 2.8 Zeiss and a good tripod

      --
      Luca Vascon.

      www.canalview.it
      www.officinepanottiche.com

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
        LOL,

        There's no replacement for IS when you need it, which would be OFF tripod.
        I'm not much of a fan of using IS to get below 1/60, since usually blur
        starts coming from the subject not the lens, but above 1/60 I believe IS
        will improve your shots slightly.

        This seems like a good bug hunting lens.

        And why Zeiss, isn't it 50% more expensive?

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

        404-551-4275

        canon-introduces-first-hybrid-image-stabilization-lens-ef-100mm

        Buy the 100mm 2.8 Zeiss and a good tripod

        2009/9/2 Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net <360cities@...
        <mailto:360cities%40gmail.com> >

        http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/02/canon-introduces-first-hybrid-image-stabi
        lization-lens-ef-100mm/

        > a thousand bucks for 4 stops improvement (or so they say)
        >
        > Jeffrey Martin
        > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
        > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

        --
        Luca Vascon.

        www.canalview.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com

      • Thomas Krueger
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
          The Sony 100mm f/2.8 macro (ExMinolta) is also excellent - but a lot cheaper.
          http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/47-sony-alpha-aps-c/378-sony_100_28

          And Sony states like Canon, that the in-body optical stabilisation system of
          the Alpha 850 delivers up to 4 steps of anti-shake correction with all
          compatible lenses, opening up even greater creative possibilities when
          shooting handheld. This system works with EVERY lens....

          -----
          Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu
        • luca vascon
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
            Never tried a zeiss lens uh?!
            Canon 100 macro old version is nothing special.
            105 micro Nikkor 2.8D was a killer
            100 Zeiss Makro Planar is visibly far better.

            Never got an IS lens, nor ever used AF features after the tragic first
            experience with a Nikon F90X. Then thrown off and upgrafed to F3.
            Small tries with digital Canons always led to big problems.
            Very low trustin in anything automatic concerning a photo camera, as things
            that can be "forgotten on or off" :-)))))
            As the tripod is a Necessory. If you are in reproduction or architecture you
            are with a tripod. Period.
            If you use macro for insects or wildlife you are with flash AND tripod.
            If I'm without tripod I make shure to have enough wine in my blood not to
            shake. And I do not mind to have small shakings in the final image!
            :-D
            I'd like however to have central shutters in the camera, and no mirrors...

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
              oooooooh, yessss.
              And Minolta 100 macro was just a bit better than Nikkor, in some situations.
              Minolta had some very good lenses. 70-200f4, the white one, 50mm 1.4 the
              20mm ecc.