Re: [PanoToolsNG] Circus panos +

  • Henri Smeets
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
      1drey wrote:

      > Shooting panos in the circus is a nightmare - the light is permanently
      > changing, the objects are moving fast, the DR is huge... But it provides a
      > lot of interesting situations :)

      Still, nicely done and a great spot to shoot from showing a reflection of
      the arena and the editing room!

      I had a similar location with lots of constantly moving lights and people
      http://www.c360.nl/fzbrancheborrel/index.html here . Loved the outcome
      though and so did the client!
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
        Sometime around 2/9/09 (at 11:49 +0000) ilyin1drey said:

        >Shooting panos in the circus is a nightmare - the light is
        >permanently changing, the objects are moving fast, the DR is huge...
        >But it provides a lot of interesting situations :)

        Absolutely. Very good work there, and interesting viewing spot. I
        initially thought the rear view wouldn't be interesting, but with the
        (lighting?) control room right there I was so wrong.

        I really enjoy shooting in demanding conditions where people and
        lighting shift madly. I find it keeps me on my toes and sharpens my
        skills. Speaking of demanding conditions, I have some shots from
        Shambala festival (this past weekend) to put together...

      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
          On 9/2/2009 4:49 AM, ilyin1drey's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
          typed ...:
          > Shooting panos in the circus is a nightmare - the light is permanently
          > changing, the objects are moving fast, the DR is huge... But it
          > provides a lot of interesting situations :)

          Quit clowning around, Andrey! =8^)

          Nice job in capturing the moment. Your WWP "Performing Arts" entry will
          be great.

          > Here it is: http://pano.1drey.com/various/03circus.html

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • ilyin1drey
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
            Thank you for your kind comments, colleagues!

            Yes, the harder is the task - the higher is the satisfaction :)
            I've learned a lot while making this series of panos. And - probably it is even more important - got a chance to touch the magic world of Circus.

            Henri, very well captured light! I KNOW how many efforts required this pano.

            Keith, agree with your comment about a bit too grainy second pano - was forced to pull the shadows beyond the limits of acceptable :(

            Pat, I promise to prepare a contribution for upcoming WWP event!
          • Ron Rack
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
              I use DeNoise3 from Topaz which can does a pretty good job with the
              grain issue:
              http://www.topazlabs.com/denoise/

              ronrack

              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                Thank you for advice, Ron.

                I am surprised, but Topaz DeNoise really beats NoiseNinja (my default noise filter)! Please check updated version of second pano - http://pano.1drey.com/various/06circus.swf

                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                  Old (noisy) version - http://pano.1drey.com/various/06circus_noise.swf

                  Just for comparison.
                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                    Maybe it's just me, but I found the noise completely acceptable on the old
                    version.

                    However, I imagine you get a significant decrease in jpg file size. Is this
                    true?

                    Sacha Griffin

                    Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                    http://www.southern-digital.com

                    http://www.seeit360.net

                    GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                    404-551-4275

                    Ron Rack <ronrack@...> wrote:

                    > I use DeNoise3 from Topaz which can does a pretty good job with the
                    > grain issue:
                    > http://www.topazlabs.com/denoise/
                    >
                    > ronrack
                    >

                    > > Keith, agree with your comment about a bit too grainy second pano -
                    > > was forced to pull the shadows beyond the limits of acceptable :(

                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                      I use NoiseNinja but find it difficult to reduce noise and keep detail.
                      Topaz claims to
                      solve that problem.

                      Is Topaz stand alone or just a plugin for photo shop?

                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                        Ken,
                        DeNoise is a PSD plugin. I also use their new filter called Detail to
                        enhance local contrast, does a great job, except it is super slow

                        http://www.topazlabs.com/detail/

                        ronrack

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                          Yes, denoised panos are noticeably smaller!
                          Original pano saved in PS with quality 11 - 14Mb, processed with NoiseNinja, same settings - 10,5Mb, after Topaz - 9,5Mb.

                          I suppose that the grain visibility greatly depends on monitor's gamma. It looks like disaster on Mac displays (gamma 1,8) and okay on Windows (gamma 2,2)

                          Andrey

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                            Even greater difference for panos packed into swf: Topaz'ed - 1,7Mb, not filtered - 2,9Mb!
                          • ilyin1drey
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                              I could touch this bear with my arm - http://pano.1drey.com/various/bear3.swf

                              Huge beast!
                            • Pat Swovelin
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                On 9/7/2009 3:03 AM, ilyin1drey's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                typed ...:

                                > I could touch this bear with my arm -
                                > http://pano.1drey.com/various/bear3.swf

                                Why are his rear paws pink? Is that from stepping in the blood of the
                                last guy that tried to touch him? =8^)

                                > Huge beast!

                                Pat Swovelin
                                Cool Guy @ Large
                              • Uri Cogan
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                  In view of the coming demise QuickTime as a reliable player for
                                  panoramas, I intend to have both Flash and QT versions of my panos
                                  available on the server, but give precedence to Flash.

                                  Now I am on the lookout for HTML code that will:

                                  1. Look for Flash player in the browser. If found, load and display
                                  Flash pano page.

                                  2. If Flash not found, look for QuickTime, check for pano-compatible
                                  version. If found, load and display QT pano page.

                                  3. If none found, display notice and show links for plug-in downloads.

                                  Any ideas?

                                  Uri.

                                • Bernhard Vogl
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                    http://dativ.at/brocap/index.html

                                    But beware: this is old stuff, meanwhile "discouraged" by the authors
                                    and veery slow...

                                    Bernhard

                                    Uri Cogan schrieb:
                                    > In view of the coming demise QuickTime as a reliable player for
                                    > panoramas, I intend to have both Flash and QT versions of my panos
                                    > available on the server, but give precedence to Flash.
                                    >
                                    > Now I am on the lookout for HTML code that will:
                                    >

                                    > 1. Look for Flash player in the browser. If found, load and display
                                    > Flash pano page.
                                    >
                                    > 2. If Flash not found, look for QuickTime, check for pano-compatible
                                    > version. If found, load and display QT pano page.
                                    >
                                    > 3. If none found, display notice and show links for plug-in downloads.
                                    >
                                    > Any ideas?
                                    >
                                    > Uri.

                                  • Pat Swovelin
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                      On 9/7/2009 4:13 PM, Uri Cogan's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                      typed ...:
                                      > In view of the coming demise QuickTime as a reliable player for
                                      > panoramas, I intend to have both Flash and QT versions of my panos
                                      > available on the server, but give precedence to Flash.
                                      >
                                      > Now I am on the lookout for HTML code that will:
                                      >

                                      > 1. Look for Flash player in the browser. If found, load and display
                                      > Flash pano page.
                                      >
                                      > 2. If Flash not found, look for QuickTime, check for pano-compatible
                                      > version. If found, load and display QT pano page.
                                      >
                                      > 3. If none found, display notice and show links for plug-in downloads.
                                      >
                                      > Any ideas?

                                      Use DevalVR's detectvr, it runs on Windows/Mac/Linux.
                                      http://www.devalvr.com/paginas/productos/index.html

                                      > Uri

                                      Pat Swovelin
                                      Cool Guy @ Large
                                    • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                        I think the key here is:
                                        )> 2. If Flash not found, look for QuickTime, check for pano-compatible
                                        )> version. If found, load and display QT pano page.

                                        As brocap is old technology('older technology':-) there was not a need to
                                        check whether QT is able to play QTVR.
                                        So this possibly won't 'quite' work as needed.

                                        Likewise, does "DevalVR's detectvr" detect whether QT can play QTVR?

                                        Or have I got this wrong?

                                        Cheers,
                                        Darren.

                                        )But beware: this is old stuff, meanwhile "discouraged" by the
                                        )authors and veery slow...
                                        )
                                        )Bernhard
                                        )
                                        )Uri Cogan schrieb:
                                        )> In view of the coming demise QuickTime as a reliable player for
                                        )> panoramas, I intend to have both Flash and QT versions of my panos
                                        )> available on the server, but give precedence to Flash.
                                        )>
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                          On 9/7/2009 5:11 PM, PanoToolsNG.10.m8@...'s hamster got
                                          loose on the keyboard and typed ...:
                                          > I think the key here is:
                                          > )> 2. If Flash not found, look for QuickTime, check for pano-compatible
                                          > )> version. If found, load and display QT pano page.
                                          >
                                          > As brocap is old technology('older technology':-) there was not a need to
                                          > check whether QT is able to play QTVR.
                                          > So this possibly won't 'quite' work as needed.
                                          >
                                          > Likewise, does "DevalVR's detectvr" detect whether QT can play QTVR?

                                          I don't believe it can check the installed version but Quicktime is dead
                                          (you're flogging a dead horse), that's why I switched to Flash 2 years ago.

                                          > Or have I got this wrong?
                                          >
                                          > Cheers,
                                          > Darren.

                                          Pat Swovelin
                                          Cool Guy @ Large
                                        • Uri Cogan
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                            Pat Swovelin's weird hamster seems to have written:

                                            > > Likewise, does "DevalVR's detectvr" detect whether QT can play QTVR?
                                            >
                                            > I don't believe it can check the installed version but Quicktime is dead
                                            > (you're flogging a dead horse), that's why I switched to Flash 2 years
                                            > ago.

                                            Now I'm beginning to get second thoughts so I'm wondering should I just
                                            abandon QT and do Flash only... The silly thing is my favourite pano web
                                            page creation program (Pleinpot) requires a QT .mov file as a input for
                                            the creation of both QT and Flash pages.

                                            Pages created with Pleinpot can actually detect the absence of QT and
                                            re-direct the browser to an alternate Flash page, but it seems to have
                                            no ability to detect the QT version, and in any case I would prefer
                                            Flash to be the default, not QT. Ah well....

                                            Uri.

                                          • Pat Swovelin
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                              On 9/7/2009 5:51 PM, Uri Cogan's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                              typed ...:
                                              >>> Likewise, does "DevalVR's detectvr" detect whether QT can play QTVR?
                                              >> I don't believe it can check the installed version but Quicktime is dead
                                              >> (you're flogging a dead horse), that's why I switched to Flash 2 years
                                              >> ago.
                                              >>

                                              > Now I'm beginning to get second thoughts so I'm wondering should I just
                                              > abandon QT and do Flash only... The silly thing is my favourite pano web
                                              > page creation program (Pleinpot) requires a QT .mov file as a input for
                                              > the creation of both QT and Flash pages.
                                              >
                                              > Pages created with Pleinpot can actually detect the absence of QT and
                                              > re-direct the browser to an alternate Flash page, but it seems to have
                                              > no ability to detect the QT version, and in any case I would prefer
                                              > Flash to be the default, not QT. Ah well....

                                              Then continue to create MOVs as the interim format and feed them into
                                              Pleinpot. But at some point they're probably not going to work on your
                                              Mac (they may work forever locally but you're creating panos for site
                                              visitors so the final pano format needs to be what they can view *not*
                                              what we think is best) and you'll be forced to go Flash only and/or
                                              Pleinpot will allow users to use equirects as input files. Either that
                                              or you'll switch to a different program (Pano2VR, FPP, KRpano,
                                              PanoSalado) to generate your panos.

                                              > Uri.

                                              Pat Swovelin
                                              Cool Guy @ Large
                                            • Uri Cogan
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                                Pat Swovelin wrote:

                                                > Then continue to create MOVs as the interim format and feed them into
                                                > Pleinpot. But at some point they're probably not going to work on your
                                                > Mac (they may work forever locally but you're creating panos for site
                                                > visitors so the final pano format needs to be what they can view *not*
                                                > what we think is best) and you'll be forced to go Flash only and/or
                                                > Pleinpot will allow users to use equirects as input files. Either that
                                                > or you'll switch to a different program (Pano2VR, FPP, KRpano,
                                                > PanoSalado) to generate your panos.

                                                Well, I do use Pano2VR with which to generate both QT and Flash files
                                                and it seems to do a good job of it, I really like Flashificator and
                                                Krpano but am still just playing with them; Flashificator appears to me
                                                as really attractive.

                                                Pano2VR can also generate a web page, but I do like the Pleinpot output,
                                                so I suppose I could discard the QT pano and the Pleinpot-generated QT
                                                page, and stay with Flash pano and page only.

                                                Uri

                                              • Pat Swovelin
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                                  On 9/7/2009 6:36 PM, Uri Cogan's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                                  typed ...:
                                                  >> Then continue to create MOVs as the interim format and feed them into
                                                  >> Pleinpot. But at some point they're probably not going to work on your
                                                  >> Mac (they may work forever locally but you're creating panos for site
                                                  >> visitors so the final pano format needs to be what they can view *not*
                                                  >> what we think is best) and you'll be forced to go Flash only and/or
                                                  >> Pleinpot will allow users to use equirects as input files. Either that
                                                  >> or you'll switch to a different program (Pano2VR, FPP, KRpano,
                                                  >> PanoSalado) to generate your panos.
                                                  >
                                                  > Well, I do use Pano2VR with which to generate both QT and Flash files
                                                  > and it seems to do a good job of it, I really like Flashificator and
                                                  > Krpano but am still just playing with them; Flashificator appears to me
                                                  > as really attractive.
                                                  >
                                                  > Pano2VR can also generate a web page, but I do like the Pleinpot output,
                                                  > so I suppose I could discard the QT pano and the Pleinpot-generated QT
                                                  > page, and stay with Flash pano and page only.

                                                  Use Pleinpot to generate a page, then use the Pano2VR HTML (the stuff in
                                                  the middle of the file) in place of the MOV area in the Pleinpot page.
                                                  Fiddle with it until you get it working like you what it to work and use
                                                  that as a template for future work. Make sure you write-protect/copy it
                                                  so you don't overwrite it in the future and you'll be good to go.

                                                  > Uri

                                                  Pat Swovelin
                                                  Cool Guy @ Large
                                                • fierodeval
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                                                    > On 9/7/2009 4:13 PM, Uri Cogan's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                                    > typed ...:
                                                    > > In view of the coming demise QuickTime as a reliable player for
                                                    > > panoramas, I intend to have both Flash and QT versions of my panos
                                                    > > available on the server, but give precedence to Flash.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Now I am on the lookout for HTML code that will:
                                                    > >

                                                    > > 1. Look for Flash player in the browser. If found, load and display
                                                    > > Flash pano page.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > 2. If Flash not found, look for QuickTime, check for pano-compatible
                                                    > > version. If found, load and display QT pano page.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > 3. If none found, display notice and show links for plug-in downloads.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Any ideas?
                                                    >
                                                    > Use DevalVR's detectvr, it runs on Windows/Mac/Linux.
                                                    > http://www.devalvr.com/paginas/productos/index.html
                                                    >

                                                    > Pat Swovelin
                                                    > Cool Guy @ Large

                                                    Yes, your points 1,2,3 are exactly how detectvr.js works. You can use only the parameters to use QT + Flash, see this
                                                    http://www.devalvr.com/paginas/soporte/htmlconfig.html#javascript

                                                    In the beginning of the Javascript file, you can see some variables to change the priority, you can use these values (no problem if all plugins are not used):

                                                    var pluginPriority_QuickTime=2;
                                                    var pluginPriority_DevalVR=3;
                                                    var pluginPriority_Flash=1;
                                                    var pluginPriority_Java=5;
                                                    var pluginPriority_Spiv=6;
                                                    var pluginPriority_PangeaVR=4;

                                                    regards!
                                                    fiero
                                                  • yuval_levy
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                                                      > http://dativ.at/brocap/index.html
                                                      >
                                                      > But beware: this is old stuff, meanwhile "discouraged" by the authors
                                                      > and veery slow...

                                                      not just discouraged. At least for the part concerning me (Brocap), that server is going to be decommissioned veeery soon, with no replacement. I had notified known users (including you, dear Bernhard) already more than a year ago.

                                                      In the meantime, I moved my paying customers to a much faster and more efficient solution, with asynchronous (web2.0 style) detection. For playback, I used FPP, feeding it with the QTVR directly.

                                                      I don't know KRpano in detail, but I guess it can do the same.

                                                      The easiest solution is to get the Flash detection code from Adobe's website.

                                                      If it detects Flash, play the QTVR with FPP and the appropriate XML. Else serve the QTVR direct (and pray).

                                                      The skeleton for the FPP XML to play a panorama.mov movie (this is not enough, you will have to read the documentation to understand and change it):

                                                      <?xml version = "1.0"?>
                                                      <panorama>
                                                      <parameters>
                                                      layer_5 = movDecoder.swf
                                                      panoType = mov
                                                      panoName = panorama
                                                      </parameters>
                                                      <movDecoder>
                                                      disablePreview = 1
                                                      </movDecoder>
                                                      </panorama>

                                                      Yuv
                                                    • panoramicsdk
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Uri Cogan <uri@...> wrote:

                                                        > In view of the coming demise QuickTime as a reliable player for
                                                        > panoramas, I intend to have both Flash and QT versions of my panos
                                                        > available on the server, but give precedence to Flash.
                                                        >
                                                        > Now I am on the lookout for HTML code that will:
                                                        >

                                                        > 1. Look for Flash player in the browser. If found, load and display
                                                        > Flash pano page.
                                                        >
                                                        > 2. If Flash not found, look for QuickTime, check for pano-compatible
                                                        > version. If found, load and display QT pano page.
                                                        >
                                                        > 3. If none found, display notice and show links for plug-in downloads.
                                                        >
                                                        > Any ideas?

                                                        Hi Uri

                                                        Your really do not need a special detection for flash except the one you can do with swobject. Minimum 97% have it and currently the old non Flashpanorama compatible ones are practically gone. I had 0.6% with flash 8 or 7 last month. Flash 10 is already at 70%.

                                                        Use swobject and expressinstall for flash embed. You can set the version to minimum 9.0.28 and forget about Quicktime.

                                                        If you really want a quicktime version do that separately as a special option.

                                                        Hans

                                                        > Uri.

                                                      • ilyin1drey
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Sep 7, 2009
                                                          Yes, this is the only explanation that comes into my head too :)

                                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                                                          > On 9/7/2009 3:03 AM, ilyin1drey's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                                          > typed ...:
                                                          >
                                                          > > I could touch this bear with my arm -
                                                          > > http://pano.1drey.com/various/bear3.swf
                                                          >
                                                          > Why are his rear paws pink? Is that from stepping in the blood of the
                                                          > last guy that tried to touch him? =8^)
                                                          >
                                                          > > Huge beast!
                                                          >

                                                          > Pat Swovelin
                                                          > Cool Guy @ Large

                                                        • Uri Cogan
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Sep 8, 2009
                                                            Hans wrote:

                                                            > Use swobject and expressinstall for flash embed. You can set the
                                                            > version to minimum 9.0.28 and forget about Quicktime.
                                                            >
                                                            > If you really want a quicktime version do that separately as a special
                                                            > option.

                                                            Thanks, and thanks to all who responded.

                                                            I am getting closer to converting all my panoramas to Flash and
                                                            abandoning QTVR.

                                                            sic transit gloria mundi

                                                            Uri.