OT - canon-introduces-first-hybrid-image-stabilization-lens-ef-100mm

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
      http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/02/canon-introduces-first-hybrid-image-stabilization-lens-ef-100mm/

      a thousand bucks for 4 stops improvement (or so they say)

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
        Buy the 100mm 2.8 Zeiss and a good tripod

        --
        Luca Vascon.

        www.canalview.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
          LOL,

          There's no replacement for IS when you need it, which would be OFF tripod.
          I'm not much of a fan of using IS to get below 1/60, since usually blur
          starts coming from the subject not the lens, but above 1/60 I believe IS
          will improve your shots slightly.

          This seems like a good bug hunting lens.

          And why Zeiss, isn't it 50% more expensive?

          Sacha Griffin

          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

          http://www.southern-digital.com

          http://www.seeit360.net

          GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

          404-551-4275

          canon-introduces-first-hybrid-image-stabilization-lens-ef-100mm

          Buy the 100mm 2.8 Zeiss and a good tripod

          2009/9/2 Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net <360cities@...
          <mailto:360cities%40gmail.com> >

          http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/02/canon-introduces-first-hybrid-image-stabi
          lization-lens-ef-100mm/

          > a thousand bucks for 4 stops improvement (or so they say)
          >
          > Jeffrey Martin
          > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
          > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

          --
          Luca Vascon.

          www.canalview.it
          www.officinepanottiche.com

        • Thomas Krueger
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
            The Sony 100mm f/2.8 macro (ExMinolta) is also excellent - but a lot cheaper.
            http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/47-sony-alpha-aps-c/378-sony_100_28

            And Sony states like Canon, that the in-body optical stabilisation system of
            the Alpha 850 delivers up to 4 steps of anti-shake correction with all
            compatible lenses, opening up even greater creative possibilities when
            shooting handheld. This system works with EVERY lens....

            -----
            Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu
          • luca vascon
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
              Never tried a zeiss lens uh?!
              Canon 100 macro old version is nothing special.
              105 micro Nikkor 2.8D was a killer
              100 Zeiss Makro Planar is visibly far better.

              Never got an IS lens, nor ever used AF features after the tragic first
              experience with a Nikon F90X. Then thrown off and upgrafed to F3.
              Small tries with digital Canons always led to big problems.
              Very low trustin in anything automatic concerning a photo camera, as things
              that can be "forgotten on or off" :-)))))
              As the tripod is a Necessory. If you are in reproduction or architecture you
              are with a tripod. Period.
              If you use macro for insects or wildlife you are with flash AND tripod.
              If I'm without tripod I make shure to have enough wine in my blood not to
              shake. And I do not mind to have small shakings in the final image!
              :-D
              I'd like however to have central shutters in the camera, and no mirrors...

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
                oooooooh, yessss.
                And Minolta 100 macro was just a bit better than Nikkor, in some situations.
                Minolta had some very good lenses. 70-200f4, the white one, 50mm 1.4 the
                20mm ecc.