Re: [PanoToolsNG] Latest Enfuse

  • Willy Kaemena
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2009
      Brian
      I just ran a test of your Bracketeer on 10.6 without any problem.

      Willy Kaemena

      http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
      http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
      http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
      http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
      http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

      On Sep 2, 2009, at 2:11, pangeasoft wrote:

      > Does anyone know where I can find the latest version of Enfuse for
      > the Mac? Seems the version from December 2008 crashes on the new
      > Snow Leopard (MacOS 10.6), so I'm hoping there's a newer version out
      > there that doesn't do that.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > -Brian

    • pangeasoft
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
        Bracketeer 3.3 will crash if you start fiddling with the sliders. The problem is that Enfuse randomly has problems writing out TIFF files on 10.6. Lots of errors get written to the console, and the resulting TIFF file is corrupt. So corrupt that it'll actually cause even Photoshop to crash if you try to load it.

        The temporary solution was to release Bracketeer 3.3.1 last night which saves out the files as JPEG since Enfuse seems to be able to do that okay on 10.6. It is a 100% quality JPEG, so there shouldn't be any noticeable artifacting, but I'm hoping I can find a version of Enfuse which can write out TIFF files on Snow Leopard.

        -Brian

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

        > Brian
        > I just ran a test of your Bracketeer on 10.6 without any problem.

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
          Sometime around 2/9/09 (at 12:42 +0000) pangeasoft said:

          >It is a 100% quality JPEG, so there shouldn't be any noticeable artifacting

          Good luck Brian. I prefer to stick to a 16-bit TIFF workflow wherever
          possible, so I might even hold back on upgrading to 10.6 (Gasps from
          the crowd... I'm normally the first to dive in) until there's a fix.

        • Willy Kaemena
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
            Dont fiddle with the controls in Bracketeer and you will get a 16bit
            tiff output without any problem under 10.6, well at least I could
            achieve that.

            Willy

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
              Sometime around 2/9/09 (at 15:14 +0200) Willy Kaemena said:

              >Dont fiddle with the controls in Bracketeer

              Good advice. Now that you mention it I rarely do fiddle, and if I
              need a general lighter or darker bias I just add a second instance of
              one of the images. A somewhat simplistic method, but it works. :-)

              10.6, here I come...

            • Roger Howard
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
                On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:42:05 -0000, "pangeasoft" <brian@...>
                wrote:
                > Bracketeer 3.3 will crash if you start fiddling with the sliders. The
                > problem is that Enfuse randomly has problems writing out TIFF files on
                > 10.6. Lots of errors get written to the console, and the resulting TIFF
                > file is corrupt. So corrupt that it'll actually cause even Photoshop to
                > crash if you try to load it.
                >
                > The temporary solution was to release Bracketeer 3.3.1 last night which
                > saves out the files as JPEG since Enfuse seems to be able to do that okay
                > on 10.6. It is a 100% quality JPEG, so there shouldn't be any noticeable
                > artifacting, but I'm hoping I can find a version of Enfuse which can
                write
                > out TIFF files on Snow Leopard.

                Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all you have built over the years and have
                no animus towards you for building Bracketeer (quite the opposite, have
                recommended it several times), but isn't this a *perfect* case of where a
                commercial vendor leveraging open source might want to give back by helping
                fix enfuse (or at least make a good build) for the rest of us, rather than
                waiting for someone else to do it?

                -Roger
              • yuval_levy
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2009
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:
                  > fix enfuse (or at least make a good build) for the rest of us, rather
                  > than waiting for someone else to do it?

                  enfuse, and its twin sibling enblend, are undergoing major changes at the moment. Release 4.0 is around the corner. Andrew, Christoph, and a dozen of volunteers have joined forces. We currently hunting down the bugs <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=123407&atid=696409>

                  on a related note, Hugin's next version, 2009.2.0, is in beta now. GPU accelerated stitching (experimental).

                  Yuv
                • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
                    Wow, Hugin went from version 0.8 to version 2009. :-)

                    Jeffrey Martin
                    tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin