Pole pano of a duck

  • panobanano
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
      Well, when I went up to photograph the giant duck I didn't realize how close he was to the edge. I thought I would do a standard pano with my tripod etc. but for some reason I did drag along my poles and boy I am glad I did. When I got there I couldn't see his glasses over the beak so the the tripod idea was out. I put together my poles which gives me about 12' tall on my camera which got my viewpoint up high enough to see the face. It was kinda' windy so the duck was shaking around and I am basically handholding and rotating the pole hoping to keep it steady enough to avoid a nightmare stitch. I did shoot some brackets but I was able to pull this together from just 1 series and made 2 exposures from the original RAW files. I did have to shoot 6 around and then bring down my pole and move the camera to the up position and then raise the pole back up and hoped to get it close enough to the original position for the up shot. Anyway it wasn't too bad just some minor retouching with the skew tool to get some lines back together. I also had to reconstruct the area where I was standing and remove my shadow from the duck.
      http://360around.com

      ronrack
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
        very cool!
        thats what sphericals are made for :)

        thanks for sharing
        jürgen
      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
          Great pano !
          What setup & eauipment did you use ?
          I´m just serious because of the really good sun.
          Ciao
          Mike
          ----------------------------
          360° VR Fotografie:
          http://www.360de.de

          NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
          http://www.abstraktfoto.de
          -----------------------------
          Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
          http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
            That duck made my day! ;-)
            Thanks!

            At 10:32 AM 9/2/2009, you wrote:

            >Well, when I went up to photograph the giant duck I didn't realize
            >how close he was to the edge. I thought I would do a standard pano
            >with my tripod etc. but for some reason I did drag along my poles
            >and boy I am glad I did. When I got there I couldn't see his glasses
            >over the beak so the the tripod idea was out. I put together my
            >poles which gives me about 12' tall on my camera which got my
            >viewpoint up high enough to see the face. It was kinda' windy so the
            >duck was shaking around and I am basically handholding and rotating
            >the pole hoping to keep it steady enough to avoid a nightmare
            >stitch. I did shoot some brackets but I was able to pull this
            >together from just 1 series and made 2 exposures from the original
            >RAW files. I did have to shoot 6 around and then bring down my pole
            >and move the camera to the up position and then raise the pole back
            >up and hoped to get it close enough to the original position for the
            >up shot. Anyway it wasn't too bad just s ome minor retouching with
            >the skew tool to get some lines back together. I also had to
            >reconstruct the area where I was standing and remove my shadow from the duck.
            ><http://360around.com>http://360around.com
            >
            >ronrack

          • Eduardo Hutter
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009