Settlement for Professor that was taking photos from public land.

  • jscancella2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
      Just an FYI. Taking pictures of objects or people in plain view is not a crime. An art professor who was frisked, handcuffed and detained for taking photos of power lines in Snhomish WA. just received an $8,000 (US) settlement after the U.S. District Court in Seattle found that the officers "lacked a reasonable justification for their aggressive tactics in completely restraining [Professor] Scheier's personal liberty." Professor Scheier was detained in the back of a police car for nearly an hour, after taking pictures of towers at a substation, even after she explained who she was and what she was doing.
    • texas360dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009

        Your comment is timely to our next WWP event 17 -21 September "Performing Arts". If you do not have access to this WWP Yahoo Groups List may I copy and repost it there ?

        Thank you in advance
        /s/
        Dave

        http://360texas.com

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jscancella2003" <jim@...> wrote:

        > Just an FYI. Taking pictures of objects or people in plain view is not a crime. An art professor who was frisked, handcuffed and detained for taking photos of power lines in Snhomish WA. just received an $8,000 (US) settlement after the U.S. District Court in Seattle found that the officers "lacked a reasonable justification for their aggressive tactics in completely restraining [Professor] Scheier's personal liberty." Professor Scheier was detained in the back of a police car for nearly an hour, after taking pictures of towers at a substation, even after she explained who she was and what she was doing.

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
          Sometime around 31/8/09 (at 19:53 +0000) texas360dave said:

          >If you do not have access to this WWP Yahoo Groups List may I copy
          >and repost it there ?

          Even more importantly than that, if you don't have access to the WWP
          list, we'd love to have you join and take part in the quarterly
          events!