Re: [PanoToolsNG] OT: Need help to choose a new fisheye lens.

  • panoramicsdk
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2009

      > Sometime around 29/8/09 (at 12:32 +0200) ptgroup said:
      >
      > >If you plan a FF: go for the Tokina ATX 107.
      >
      > Definitely more flexible than the Nikkor 10.5mm or Sigma 8mm as it
      > zooms from 10 to 17mm (the only fisheye zoom there is, too).
      >
      > But it is an f3.5 optic if I recall, just a tad less bright than the
      > Nikon. Generally it is best with any lens to shoot stopped down to
      > some point (each lens has its own f sweet spot) but sometimes you
      > just need to capture every last photon. (Okay, at least sometimes *I*
      > do, as I keep trying to shoot panos in the most ridiculously dark
      > situations. :-)

      Well The Nikkor is not at all sharp at corners at f2.8 but The Tokina is at 3.5.
      However it does not make much difference as you on both has to stop down to f11 anyhow to overcome the special depth of field a 180 degree fisheye has.
      Remember that the Nadir/Zenith is just 20 cm in front of you even if it is 100 m in real distance.

      The best way to use them both is to shoot at -10 degree and shoot a zenith image also.

      Hans
    • Hakan Durgut
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2009
        I have the Tokina ATX 107, great lens, if you wanna shoot the pano in 3
        images zoom it out to 10mm , if you want higher resulution zoom it in 17mm,
        I havent had it shaved yet, so I can only use 14-17 for the time being.