Re: [PanoToolsNG] QTVR is NOT dead- first experiences with the new QT on MacOS 10.6

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
      Hi Willy.

      Yes, with SnowLeopard things are still working, but the run is over for
      QTVR. The program as it existed (ok... still exists) had not been
      maintained, and with this move of Apple, it is clear they have completely
      dropped it from development. QT still exists, but that too is a
      questionable success... just like RealPlayer... it used to be amongst the
      big guys in multimedia players, but now it is all but gone. QT panos can
      still be viewed in coming times, by those who have installed the 20+mb QT
      installation file. We try to keep our panos within a reasonable size (less
      than 4mb), so that potential viewing audience will not get sick and tired of
      waiting and move away, and the QT installation is 20mb, plus the additional
      clicking and installation procedure. That is NOT something that the average
      internet audience is willing to be put through... and I am pretty sure that
      it's also one of the main reasons for Apple dropping the apple on QTVR.
      Flash is (for now) the way forward, with less than 2 mb download and an
      automated install on IE, and a semi-auto on FF. That is ACCEPTABLE for
      potential viewers, and most of them already have Flash installed, so they
      won't have to make a big change in plans just to get to see a panorama they
      have been recommended, or come across.

      On those terms, and unless QT will be making some huge evolutionary changes,
      it is dead... It will take some time before QTVR content will be gone (or
      useless) from the internet scene.... maybe 10 years... but as things look
      now, it makes no sense at all to produce QTVR material.
      Oops... It just dawned on me that the death of QTVR is a potential gain for
      me and other Flash based panorama providers... damn I'm thick... I better
      stop writing this QTVR mortuary before some extremists accuse me of trying
      to gain something from the death of it. I didn't even realize that
      potential gain of clients until now. But for those who don't know me: I may
      be providing a specific product, but that does not make me into some
      "company". I am still an individual, and when I speak out/type, I do so on
      the terms of being an individual, and not as a "team" or a "company" or
      someone dedicated to telling only one side of a story... even though my
      story may BE one sided in the eyes of others. I reserve the right to speak
      for myself and air my private and personal opinions.

      I say this, after having been told that I "should not speak out" in this or
      that manner. People express them individually. We all have our own views
      and opinions (unless we have been brainwashed and given a certain
      (sub)standard mindset to act by.

      Anyways... QTVR is out of the race. The most recent QTVR examples I have
      seen, are terribly stiff and "oh so last millennium" in look and feel, that
      I am amazed that the format has survived this long.

      Equally, I can say that it is amazing that Flash and Java based players are
      still used, when compared to the extremely smooth and nice SPi-V engine. In
      quality and feel, Flash and Java have NO way of surviving the comparison.
      But market share and platform availability is a fact of life... and that
      puts Flash on top of the pile. Deserved or not... QTVR is out and Flash is
      in. Java is on the way out and Silverlight is hoping to get in... and HTMLVR
      may be the way forward, without having entered the scene.

      All of that being said (lots of rant), I have to "confess" that it was
      indeed QTVR panoramas that caught my interest in the field of panos. A
      friend of mine worked as a panographer, and his works were fantastic,
      compared to any and all normal photos. After adoring his works for months,
      I decided to jump into the same field, and that was it. So QTVR has
      absolutely affected my life, and I wouldn't be where I am today, if QTVR
      hadn't been there to impress me in the first place. So I do absolutely
      appreciate QTVR for what it was and for what it got going... but
      unfortunately it became a dinosaur in it's own field, and that is what
      brought it down.

      Rest in peace, and rest with respect... but don't come back, unless you have
      something really nice to offer!

      Sorry about your Apple Laser Writer not working... but there must be some
      bright people out there, who will make a resurrection driver pack for it.

      This may be of some help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

      But coming weeks and months will surely provide real solutions. I still
      remember how NOTHING worked for me back in 1995.... September 27th... when
      Win95 was released for the first time in Denmark... well, that was the day I
      got it anyways... and all my music software, for making music, didn't work.
      NOTHING worked for me. On the official box of Win95, they had the nerve to
      print: "Everything you have used in Windows 3.1 and 3.11 will continue to
      work in Windows95"... and when nothing worked for me, and I called MS
      support in Denmark, I was told that I had to contacct the producers of the
      software that was not working... and no matter how much I pointed out THEIR
      claims of EVERYTHING from earlier versions working..... they just brushed me
      off.

      So there isn't much respect left for MS...and in that context, I can
      understand the negative feeling towards Apple for dropping QTVR
      officially... but these htings happen, and one day we will have a global
      drop on everything made in 32bit applications... and that will be
      "disastrous" for everyone with today's mindset.

      We just have to accept "survival of the fittest"... and not the
      "creationist" theory. Flash survives (for now), not because it is the best,
      but because it fits in better than the rest. QTVR was the "creation"... and
      now it's dead and gone.

      So is my rant.

      Trausti

      http://flashificator.com

      On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

      > Here some first experiences with QTVR on the new MacOS 10.6 with the
      > new Quicktime and related issues.
      >
      > Almost everything works like before!!

    • panoramicsdk
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

        > Here some first experiences with QTVR on the new MacOS 10.6 with the
        > new Quicktime and related issues.
        >
        > Almost everything works like before!!
        >
        > - QTVR websites are working fine
        > - QTVR multiple node tours are working as before
        > - QTVR .mov files can be opened/operated with Quick Look as before
        > ( highlight file then press spacebar )
        > - opening QTVR .mov files by double clicking requires an additional
        > click as QT X is for movies and sounds and not anymore for the QTVR
        > format.
        >
        > QT 7 installation option was already highlighted in the OS 10.6
        > installation process.
        > Dont forget to tick the Rosetta option, as there are still some
        > QTVR related applications required which were written for the PPC
        > processor like CubicConverter.
        >
        > Quicktime panorama preview in PTgui works as before.
        >
        > So NOTHING really to complain
        >
        > well one thing... my Apple Laser writer with an Asantetalk box
        > Ethernet to AppleTalk is not working anymore as Apple Talk is not
        > part of latest OS ... shit

        I am not sure Apple even have any plans of using Quicktime X for Windows.
        Remember it is a special Mac technologi.

        I can see that it can not even play avi files but for that you need also the supplied Quicktime 7.6 install.
        I guess AVI is the most used video format for cameras. I have 3 different compact cameras. A Panasonic, and Canon IXUS and a Ricoh. All uses AVI.

        The Canon 5D uses Quicktime MOV (H.264)
        but the Nikon D90 uses AVI

        So dropping the avi must be a much larger "problem" than no QTVR.

        Hans
      • Willy Kaemena
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009

          AVI plays fine in QuicktimeX player !

          Willy

          On Aug 30, 2009, at 12:54, panoramicsdk wrote:

          > I am not sure Apple even have any plans of using Quicktime X for
          > Windows.
          > Remember it is a special Mac technologi.
          >
          > I can see that it can not even play avi files but for that you need
          > also the supplied Quicktime 7.6 install.
          > I guess AVI is the most used video format for cameras. I have 3
          > different compact cameras. A Panasonic, and Canon IXUS and a Ricoh.
          > All uses AVI.
          >
          > The Canon 5D uses Quicktime MOV (H.264)
          > but the Nikon D90 uses AVI
          >
          > So dropping the avi must be a much larger "problem" than no QTVR.
          >
          > Hans

        • panoramicsdk
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

            > Hans
            >
            > AVI plays fine in QuicktimeX player !

            I guess that is because you have the codec from QT
            See this thread.
            http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2131729&tstart=0

            Hans
          • Willy Kaemena
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
              Trausti
              thank you for your thoughts

              Sure there is no doubt about the future of panoramas in flash, but my
              concern was whether all our legacy QTVR content developed in the last
              10 years, would be suddenly unplayable and worthless under MACOS 10.6
              with QuicktimeX and that is luckily not the case.

              And I dont like to speak of the death of QTVR but would prefer the
              term "retirement"

              Willy

            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
                Sometime around 30/8/09 (at 05:07 -0500) Trausti Hraunfjord said:

                >I reserve the right to speak
                >for myself and air my private and personal opinions.

                As you should. Personally, I wouldn't even consider it necessary for
                you to do so. I certainly would consider it odd if you didn't speak
                out in favour of something you sink your own time and effort into.

                >I can
                >understand the negative feeling towards Apple for dropping QTVR
                >officially

                I don't believe it is official. Has anyone seen an announcement or
                even footnote from Apple regarding this? I'm not trying to hold out
                specific hope, I'm just pointing this out...

              • Willy Kaemena
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
                  well I forgot to mention that I had Perian installed on QT 7 in my
                  previous system....
                  which I strongly recommend because it adds even more codecs to the
                  100+ codecs of QT

                  Willy

                  On Aug 30, 2009, at 14:33, panoramicsdk wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hans
                  > >
                  > > AVI plays fine in QuicktimeX player !
                  > >

                  > I guess that is because you have the codec from QT
                  > See this thread.
                  > http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2131729&tstart=0
                  >
                  > Hans
                  >

                  > Messages in this topic (5) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                  > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members |
                  > Calendar

                • rcg_53
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
                    Hans:

                    This may help: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/avidivx.html

                    Richard

                    > I am not sure Apple even have any plans of using Quicktime X for Windows.
                    > Remember it is a special Mac http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/avidivx.html.
                    >
                    > I can see that it can not even play avi files but for that you need also the supplied Quicktime 7.6 install.
                    > I guess AVI is the most used video format for cameras. I have 3 different compact cameras. A Panasonic, and Canon IXUS and a Ricoh. All uses AVI.
                    >
                    > The Canon 5D uses Quicktime MOV (H.264)
                    > but the Nikon D90 uses AVI
                    >
                    > So dropping the avi must be a much larger "problem" than no QTVR.
                    >
                    > Hans

                  • yuval_levy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009

                      <http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/QuickTime/InsideQT_QTVR/7Chap/7-QTVR-atoms-file-format.html>

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:
                      > my concern was whether all our legacy QTVR content developed in the
                      > last 10 years, would be suddenly unplayable and worthless

                      this should be everybody's concern. and is an example why closed, proprietary standards are a risk. What if Microsoft decided to drop support for the .XLS format, or if Adobe decided to drop support for the PSD format?

                      If anybody still has Betamax tapes, they know what I mean. In software this can and should be avoided.

                      > And I dont like to speak of the death of QTVR but would prefer the
                      > term "retirement"

                      Right, like "life insurance".

                      "Retirement" was when active development stopped, years ago. In human terms it is that period of life when you stop working for somebody else and you "work" for your own enjoyment.

                      And in human terms at some point we all start to face the consequences of aging and see the doctor and the hospitals for some fixes. Despite all medical attempts we progressively loose functionality until the inevitable consequence of death.

                      QuickTime has already lost plenty of functionality that has not been restored (embedded flash anybody?) and is dying a slow death instead of being "decommissioned" - human equivalent: "euthanasia", still illegal in most parts of the world because we like to torture ourselves and extend life beyond shelf date.

                      Sorry for my bluntness. It's time for a QTVR museum. Collect as much as possible of these wonderful creations of mankind; collect the file format specifications and whatever is available of the software; try to preserve access, in the hope that the collection will inspire future generations.

                      One source of inspiration is http://www.videolan.org/ - there is now experimental code in their repository to play basic QTVR. If Apple would release the QTVR code under an Open Source license, the users could update the functionality in VLC and help extending the useful life of QTVR content, maybe indefinitely.

                      Yuv

                      Yuv
                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
                        Sometime around 30/8/09 (at 13:08 +0000) yuval_levy said:

                        ><http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/QuickTime/InsideQT_QTVR/7Chap/7-QTVR-atoms-file-format.html>

                        Damn. Looks like Apple signed the death warrant for quite a few
                        things recently, judging by the list of QT-based things marked as
                        Legacy on June 1st.

                        RIP, QTVR.

                      • Sacha Griffin
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
                          Well if its online qtvr, playback is already supported by a slew of flash
                          players by swapping out some lines of html etc.

                          I wonder if the flash mov plugins fail completely on strange qtvrs or merely
                          do basic functions.

                          If it's especially weird qtvr, with a GUI, which is extremely rare, then
                          someone would need to decide if it's worth the time to re-author it in
                          flash.

                          From my initial research into qtvr customization I thought it was a very
                          expensive headache and probably re-author these guis ten times faster in
                          flash that you initially did in quicktime.

                          Sacha Griffin

                          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                          http://www.southern-digital.com

                          http://www.seeit360.net

                          GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                          404-551-4275

> [...]

                          > of the
                          > software that was not working... and no matter how much I pointed
                          > out THEIR
                          > claims of EVERYTHING from earlier versions working..... they just
                          > brushed me
                          > off.
                          >
                          > So there isn't much respect left for MS...and in that context, I can
                          > understand the negative feeling towards Apple for dropping QTVR
                          > officially... but these htings happen, and one day we will have a
                          > global
                          > drop on everything made in 32bit applications... and that will be
                          > "disastrous" for everyone with today's mindset.
                          >
                          > We just have to accept "survival of the fittest"... and not the
                          > "creationist" theory. Flash survives (for now), not because it is
                          > the best,
                          > but because it fits in better than the rest. QTVR was the

                          <mailto:panokaemena%40mac.com> >
                          > wrote:
                          >

                          > > Here some first experiences with QTVR on the new MacOS 10.6 with the
                          > > new Quicktime and related issues.
                          > >
                          > > Almost everything works like before!!

                        • Ken Warner
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
                            QT will not run on my Vista 64 machine. I installed the latest version
                            and all I get is
                            the skin with a big transparent hole in it.