Apple dropped QTVR support in Snow Leopard

  • wuuuz_144
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
      Hello all,

      since Snow Leopard is now released I can tell you that Apple dropped QTVR in their latest release of the OS. To play back QTVRs you need to manually install QuickTime 7 from the OS disc because the default QuickTime X player doesn't understand QTVR.

      QTVRs still work in the browser because they didn't update the browser plugin which still reports itself as "7.6.3" but I guess it is only a matter of time before the also "update" the plugin.

      For more info have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678

      --
      MfG,
      Thomas.
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
        Yes, I had to manually install QT7 from the DVD to open a QTVR, also, when
        you double-click
        a QTVR file it opens QT10 with an alert saying that you need to open this
        file in QT7, so
        we have to click "open in QuickTime 7" to view our QTVR.... :(

        Well, that's it... QTVR is officially dead,

        all Hail to Flash, the new King of Panorama Players ;)

        --
        Com os melhores cumprimentos,

        Paulo Fernandes
        Multimedia

        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
        Calçada do Lidador, 1ºAndar
        4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
        Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

      • erik_leeman
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
          Well, what else can we do now but stand up for a moment of silence in remembrance of our dearly beloved QTVR.

          QTVRIP

          Cheers?

          Erik Leeman

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wuuuz_144" wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > since Snow Leopard is now released I can tell you that Apple dropped
          > QTVR in their latest release of the OS. To play back QTVRs you need
          > to manually install QuickTime 7 from the OS disc because the default
          > QuickTime X player doesn't understand QTVR.
          >
          > QTVRs still work in the browser because they didn't update the
          > browser plugin which still reports itself as "7.6.3" but I guess it
          > is only a matter of time before the also "update" the plugin.
          >
          > For more info have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678
          >
          > MfG,
          > Thomas.
        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
            I can't run PTGui's preview because QT doesn't run on Vista 64. So
            what do we do now?

            wuuuz_144 wrote:
            > Hello all,
            >
            > since Snow Leopard is now released I can tell you that Apple dropped QTVR in their latest release of the OS. To play back QTVRs you need to manually install QuickTime 7 from the OS disc because the default QuickTime X player doesn't understand QTVR.
            >
            > QTVRs still work in the browser because they didn't update the browser plugin which still reports itself as "7.6.3" but I guess it is only a matter of time before the also "update" the plugin.
            >
            > For more info have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678

          • Mark D. Fink
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
              Can't you specify DevalVR as the equi viewer in Tools|Options, or is this a
              different preview you are referring to?

              Mark
              www.pinnacle-vr.com
              www.northernlight.net

            • Matt Smith
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
                If I could only find my source files to this movie I would put a
                fitting end to my quicktime use.

                http://www.photospherix.com/fullscreen/grave.html

                Matt Smith
                PhotoSpherix
                317.396.5791
                360 Product Photography
                Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                http://www.photospherix.com

              • aiwetir@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
                  you should change your nadir to a quicktime logo

                  mmm

                  On 28 Aug 2009, at 12:00, Matt Smith wrote:

                  > If I could only find my source files to this movie I would put a
                  > fitting end to my quicktime use.
                  >
                  > http://www.photospherix.com/fullscreen/grave.html
                  >
                  > Matt Smith
                  > PhotoSpherix
                  > 317.396.5791
                  > 360 Product Photography
                  > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                  > http://www.photospherix.com
                  >
                  > On Aug 28, 2009, at 2:36 PM, erik_leeman wrote:
                  >
                  > > Well, what else can we do now but stand up for a moment of silence
                  > > in remembrance of our dearly beloved QTVR.
                  > >
                  > > QTVRIP
                  > >
                  > > Cheers?
                  > >
                  > > Erik Leeman
                  > >
                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wuuuz_144" wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> Hello all,
                  > >>
                  > >> since Snow Leopard is now released I can tell you that Apple
                  > dropped
                  > >> QTVR in their latest release of the OS. To play back QTVRs you need
                  > >> to manually install QuickTime 7 from the OS disc because the
                  > default
                  > >> QuickTime X player doesn't understand QTVR.
                  > >>
                  > >> QTVRs still work in the browser because they didn't update the
                  > >> browser plugin which still reports itself as "7.6.3" but I guess it
                  > >> is only a matter of time before the also "update" the plugin.
                  > >>
                  > >> For more info have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678
                  > >>
                  > >> MfG,
                  > >> Thomas.

                • Matt Smith
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
                    I was going to change the tombstone!

                    Matt Smith
                    PhotoSpherix
                    317.396.5791
                    360 Product Photography
                    Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                    http://www.photospherix.com

                  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
                      Quoting aiwetir@...:

                      > you should change your nadir to a quicktime logo

                      rather retouch the headstone

                      > mmm

                    • jrgen_schrader
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
                        "I can't run PTGui's preview because QT doesn't run on Vista 64. So
                        what do we do now?"

                        Very simple: Use FSP viewer.
                        Works perfect with PTGUI on my XP64.

                        Cheers
                        Jürgen

                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
                          Yup, that works... Thank you jrgen and thank you Fulvio...

                          jrgen_schrader wrote:
                          > "I can't run PTGui's preview because QT doesn't run on Vista 64. So
                          > what do we do now?"
                          >
                          > Very simple: Use FSP viewer.
                          > Works perfect with PTGUI on my XP64.
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Jürgen
                          >
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> I can't run PTGui's preview because QT doesn't run on Vista 64. So
                          >> what do we do now?
                          >>
                          >> wuuuz_144 wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Hello all,
                          >>>
                          >>> since Snow Leopard is now released I can tell you that Apple dropped QTVR in their latest release of the OS. To play back QTVRs you need to manually install QuickTime 7 from the OS disc because the default QuickTime X player doesn't understand QTVR.
                          >>>
                          >>> QTVRs still work in the browser because they didn't update the browser plugin which still reports itself as "7.6.3" but I guess it is only a matter of time before the also "update" the plugin.
                          >>>
                          >>> For more info have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678

                        • Willy Kaemena
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
                            well one way to open a QTVR.mov file directly, is to drop it on a
                            Safari icon/ window.

                            in any case have to admit I am not happy with this development.

                            Willy Kaemena

                            http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
                            http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
                            http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
                            http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
                            http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

                            On Aug 28, 2009, at 20:20, Paulo Fernandes wrote:

                            > Yes, I had to manually install QT7 from the DVD to open a QTVR,
                            > also, when
                            > you double-click
                            > a QTVR file it opens QT10 with an alert saying that you need to open
                            > this
                            > file in QT7, so
                            > we have to click "open in QuickTime 7" to view our QTVR.... :(
                            >
                            > Well, that's it... QTVR is officially dead,
                            >
                            > all Hail to Flash, the new King of Panorama Players ;)
                            >
                            > On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM, wuuuz_144 <yahoo@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > > Hello all,
                            > >
                            > > since Snow Leopard is now released I can tell you that Apple
                            > dropped QTVR
                            > > in their latest release of the OS. To play back QTVRs you need to
                            > manually
                            > > install QuickTime 7 from the OS disc because the default QuickTime
                            > X player
                            > > doesn't understand QTVR.
                            > >
                            > > QTVRs still work in the browser because they didn't update the
                            > browser
                            > > plugin which still reports itself as "7.6.3" but I guess it is
                            > only a matter
                            > > of time before the also "update" the plugin.
                            > >
                            > > For more info have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > MfG,
                            > > Thomas.
                            > >

                            > --
                            > Com os melhores cumprimentos,
                            >
                            > Paulo Fernandes
                            > Multimedia
                            >
                            > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                            > Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
                            > Calçada do Lidador, 1ºAndar
                            > 4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
                            > Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
                            > :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

                          • Trausti Hraunfjord
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
                              Looking at the past 2+ or so years, this comes as no surprise. Apple has
                              not updated QTVR to match or exceed the quality of Flash or other formats.
                              I gave up on using QTVR back in 2005, simply because it was too bothersome
                              for people having to download and install QT (big and cumbersome package
                              compared to a Flash installation). They had the choice to make a completely
                              new QTVR player, that would be easier to install than Flash, and offer new
                              and better functions than Flash... and that's clearly not what they had
                              their focus on. Now QTVR panos will drop off the net, and hopefully be
                              converted to the surviving formats.

                              Next one on the list to go, are most likely the java based panos.... unless
                              there will be some MAJOR changes in development... and that's hardly going
                              to be the case. Like QT, the spread of Java is considerable, but there is
                              also the panorama quality and functionality issue to look at, and neither is
                              in a position to threaten Flash at the moment... and looking at what has
                              been done for the Java in the past couple of years... I simply don't see it
                              coming out of the shadows as a winner any time soon. Java will of course
                              stay in business, but as a panorama platform, the sooner it's out, the
                              better it will be.

                              Apple is also abandoning support for the PPC's ... probably a trend that
                              will be followed up by others ("just because it exists, doesn't grant
                              continued attention" attitude).

                              Trausti

                              > in any case have to admit I am not happy with this development.
                              >
                              > Willy Kaemena

                            • fierodeval
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 28, 2009
                                Ok, now I understand why they never fixed the problem with Windows x64.

                                regards!
                                fiero

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wuuuz_144" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                > Hello all,
                                >
                                > since Snow Leopard is now released I can tell you that Apple dropped QTVR in their latest release of the OS. To play back QTVRs you need to manually install QuickTime 7 from the OS disc because the default QuickTime X player doesn't understand QTVR.
                                >
                                > QTVRs still work in the browser because they didn't update the browser plugin which still reports itself as "7.6.3" but I guess it is only a matter of time before the also "update" the plugin.
                                >
                                > For more info have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678
                                >
                                > --
                                > MfG,
                                > Thomas.

                              • Henri Smeets
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 29, 2009
                                  QTVR RIP, may I say I've just shed a little tear.

                                  http://www.nabble.com/file/p25201789/PalaceFALagoonS.jpg

                                  Back in 1996 I fell in love with QTVR after seeing a panorama of the Palace
                                  of fine Arts on a Macworld cd-rom. You needed to install a QTVR-extension
                                  additional to the QuickTime 2.8.1 extension to be able to view it.

                                  Makes me wonder though if tools like CubicConvertor an CubicNavigator will
                                  work under Snow Leopard.

                                  The QTVR is dead, LONG LIVE FLASH!
                                • rcg_53
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 29, 2009
                                    I am a Mac Guy, just getting into VR panoramas and want to offer VR panoramas
                                    as a product in a new business I am starting.
                                    Most of the Mac software I am trying, support QTVR/Cubic format, and not SWF (Flash).
                                    I understand what is being said about Apple dropping the ball with QTVRAS,
                                    however, it appears most top end panorama software support MOV. format and not SWF.
                                    I am confused. I would like to use the Flash format, but I am discovering, if I want to,
                                    I have to convert the files. Is this because I am Mac and not PC Guy
                                    Any advice would be appreciated.
                                    Many thanks,
                                    Richard
                                  • Paulo Fernandes
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 29, 2009
                                      Hi Richard,

                                      The flash players you ear/read about are only the viewer, they work with
                                      either
                                      a Equirectangular panorama image, cube face panorama or even a QTVR as
                                      input.
                                      Internaly they convert and project it to the player.

                                      you might want to take a look at the leading Flash Panorama players:

                                      FPP - Flash Panorama Player http://www.flashpanoramas.com (my personal
                                      choice)
                                      KRPano http://www.krpano.com
                                      Pano2Vr - http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2vr.php (also does conversions
                                      between formats
                                      PanoSalado - http://panosalado.com/ (open source)

                                      The biggest advantage of Flash over QTVR is the possibility of adding user
                                      interfaces that in QTVR was
                                      very hard to do. Also all the player have big communities of user that
                                      generaly are all willing to help out
                                      fellow users :)

                                      As I said I like FPP, but the one you choose is up to you :)

                                      And please don't ask what's the best of them because that would start a HUGE
                                      discussion :P

                                      Hope it helps, any question, do ask....

                                      --
                                      Com os melhores cumprimentos,

                                      Paulo Fernandes
                                      Multimedia

                                      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                                      Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
                                      Calçada do Lidador, 1ºAndar
                                      4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
                                      Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
                                      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

                                    • Sacha Griffin
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 29, 2009
                                        Some software supports, mov because its monolithic.

                                        You get a .mov file which you can double click on and that's it.

                                        Most flash panoramas are not this way. Pano2vr the exception

                                        They are

                                        1. jpgs of the cubefaces, or 1 equictangular jpg.

                                        2. Other graphics that are your interface/gui

                                        3. swfs that are the machinery for display.

                                        4. xml file that customizes everything

                                        Learn more at

                                        Pano2vr.com

                                        flashpanoramas.com/

                                        krpano.com

                                        Flashpanos.com

                                        flashificator.com

                                        BTW, I am very glad, I am able to finally uninstall quicktime now. Clears
                                        off a couple hundred megabytes of useless software for which no one is
                                        producing new content.

                                        Next, is apple.com dropping support for quicktime itself.

                                        Sacha Griffin

                                        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                                        http://www.southern-digital.com

                                        http://www.seeit360.net

                                        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                                        404-551-4275

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 29, 2009
                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wuuuz_144" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                                          > since Snow Leopard is now released I can tell you that Apple dropped
                                          > QTVR in their latest release of the OS.

                                          It is not right that the world will lose access to amazing artwork created in the past 15 years.

                                          I've found a working link to the mythical Sydney Opera House Virtual Tour. Anno 2002. It's on my blog.

                                          <http://panospace.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/last-nail-in-the-coffin/>

                                          who will write QTVR's obituary?

                                          Yuv
                                        • Pat Swovelin
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 30, 2009
                                            On 8/28/2009 12:24 PM, crane@...'s hamster got loose on the
                                            keyboard and typed ...:
                                            > Quoting aiwetir@...:
                                            >
                                            >> you should change your nadir to a quicktime logo
                                            >
                                            > rather retouch the headstone

                                            Don't forget the 1st shovelful of dirt coming out of a shovel with an
                                            Apple logo on it.

                                            >> mmm

                                            Pat Swovelin
                                            Cool Guy @ Large
                                          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 31, 2009
                                              Quoting Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>:

                                              > On 8/28/2009 12:24 PM, crane@...'s hamster got loose on the
                                              > keyboard and typed ...:
                                              > > Quoting aiwetir@...:
                                              > >
                                              > >> you should change your nadir to a quicktime logo
                                              > >
                                              > > rather retouch the headstone
                                              >
                                              > Don't forget the 1st shovelful of dirt coming out of a shovel with an
                                              > Apple logo on it.

                                              I was also thinking the sides of the grave/the dirt could be indented with a
                                              phrase. saying what exactly I do not know.

                                              regards

                                              mick

                                              > >> mmm
                                              >

                                              > Pat Swovelin
                                              > Cool Guy @ Large

                                            • Pat Swovelin
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 31, 2009
                                                On 8/31/2009 1:56 AM, crane@...'s hamster got loose on the
                                                keyboard and typed ...:
                                                > Quoting Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>:
                                                >
                                                >> On 8/28/2009 12:24 PM, crane@...'s hamster got loose on the
                                                >> keyboard and typed ...:
                                                >>> Quoting aiwetir@...:

                                                >>> rather retouch the headstone
                                                >> Don't forget the 1st shovelful of dirt coming out of a shovel with an
                                                >> Apple logo on it.
                                                >
                                                > I was also thinking the sides of the grave/the dirt could be indented
                                                > with a
                                                > phrase. saying what exactly I do not know.

                                                Wish you were here? =8^)

                                                > regards
                                                >
                                                > mick

                                                Pat Swovelin
                                                Cool Guy @ Large
                                              • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 31, 2009
                                                  Quoting Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>:

                                                  > On 8/31/2009 1:56 AM, crane@...'s hamster got loose on the
                                                  > keyboard and typed ...:
                                                  > > Quoting Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>:
                                                  > >
                                                  > >> On 8/28/2009 12:24 PM, crane@...'s hamster got loose on the
                                                  > >> keyboard and typed ...:

                                                  > >> Don't forget the 1st shovelful of dirt coming out of a shovel with an
                                                  > >> Apple logo on it.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I was also thinking the sides of the grave/the dirt could be indented
                                                  > > with a
                                                  > > phrase. saying what exactly I do not know.
                                                  >
                                                  > Wish you were here? =8^)

                                                  I was looking to see if there was anything here.

                                                  http://www.macmothership.com/gallery/gallery1.html

                                                  "it works like you do" ?