OT: Need help to choose a new fisheye lens.

  • pollokiller
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
      Hi everyone.

      I want to buy a new fisheye to shoot panoramas, currently I'm using a Peleng 8mm and I'm very satisfied with most of my shots. However, in closed spaces with lots of light sources I get an amazing quantity of lens flares.

      I currently use this lens with a Canon Rebel XTi to shoot panos, but I'm interested in buying a lens that can also be used with a newer equipment (I'll try to buy a full sensor camera before year's end)

      Thanks in advance for everyone and greetings from the subtropical regions of Mexico

      Felipe

    • Paulo Fernandes
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
        Have you seen this review of the Samyang 8mm? It also talks about the other
        choices yo have:
        http://michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Early%20test%20report.html

        --
        Com os melhores cumprimentos,

        Paulo Fernandes
        Multimedia

        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
        Calçada do Lidador, 1ºAndar
        4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
        Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

      • pollokiller
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paulo Fernandes <paulo.jf@...> wrote:

          > Have you seen this review of the Samyang 8mm? It also talks about the other
          > choices yo have:

          Thanks Paulo!

          I have read the article, I'm interested specially on this link: http://michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Fisheyes_FLARE_tests.html

          I usually shoot using f16, but the comparison made by Thoby makes me reconsider my technique. If I find the time I'll do some test shots this weekend.

          Best regards from the subtropical regions of Mexico
        • ptgroup
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
            If you plan a FF: go for the Tokina ATX 107.
            ciao
            mike

            ----------------------------
            ----------------------------
            360° VR Fotografie:
            http://www.360de.de

            NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
            http://www.abstraktfoto.de
            -----------------------------
            Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
            http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
              Sometime around 29/8/09 (at 12:32 +0200) ptgroup said:

              >If you plan a FF: go for the Tokina ATX 107.

              Definitely more flexible than the Nikkor 10.5mm or Sigma 8mm as it
              zooms from 10 to 17mm (the only fisheye zoom there is, too).

              But it is an f3.5 optic if I recall, just a tad less bright than the
              Nikon. Generally it is best with any lens to shoot stopped down to
              some point (each lens has its own f sweet spot) but sometimes you
              just need to capture every last photon. (Okay, at least sometimes *I*
              do, as I keep trying to shoot panos in the most ridiculously dark
              situations. :-)

            • panoramicsdk
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 30, 2009

                > Sometime around 29/8/09 (at 12:32 +0200) ptgroup said:
                >
                > >If you plan a FF: go for the Tokina ATX 107.
                >
                > Definitely more flexible than the Nikkor 10.5mm or Sigma 8mm as it
                > zooms from 10 to 17mm (the only fisheye zoom there is, too).
                >
                > But it is an f3.5 optic if I recall, just a tad less bright than the
                > Nikon. Generally it is best with any lens to shoot stopped down to
                > some point (each lens has its own f sweet spot) but sometimes you
                > just need to capture every last photon. (Okay, at least sometimes *I*
                > do, as I keep trying to shoot panos in the most ridiculously dark
                > situations. :-)

                Well The Nikkor is not at all sharp at corners at f2.8 but The Tokina is at 3.5.
                However it does not make much difference as you on both has to stop down to f11 anyhow to overcome the special depth of field a 180 degree fisheye has.
                Remember that the Nadir/Zenith is just 20 cm in front of you even if it is 100 m in real distance.

                The best way to use them both is to shoot at -10 degree and shoot a zenith image also.

                Hans
              • Hakan Durgut
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2009
                  I have the Tokina ATX 107, great lens, if you wanna shoot the pano in 3
                  images zoom it out to 10mm , if you want higher resulution zoom it in 17mm,
                  I havent had it shaved yet, so I can only use 14-17 for the time being.