Re: low cost virtual tours

  • lybarrondo
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 12, 2009
      I've gone through this before. I started back on an Amiga using Turbo Silver ( I think that was what it was called, seems like a lifetime ago). I eventually ended up working for a company in Ames, Iowa called Engineering Animation Incorporated. I then went freelance and I was very good at it. Unfortunately, the entry barrier to the industry dropped and soon any half-talented person with discretionary funding could equal my work (at least from an indiscriminate consumer's perspective). To make matters worse, my new competitors had no business sense and were planning a bankruptcy. They were on their way out of business, too stupid to know it and taking me with them.

      What did I do? I went back to college, finished my engineering degree and got a job where I was no longer competing with the uneducated masses. Now I compete with the educated masses of the world, but at least my competitors are smart enough to work for a sustainable wage.

      So what's the moral of my story? It took years for me to figure it out. It was painful to lose control of a viable career in art, but I eventually realized that I didn't pursue it for profit. I pursued it because I loved the creative avenue digital arts provided. Believe it or not, once I realized that the engineering work became a complimentary avenue of creation as well. Bad feelings are gone and I just enjoy playing with at my leisure and totally at my whim.

      My hard earned advice: Make virtual tours because you want to and don't place yourself in a position where you have to. If you want to get rich, go to a good school and get a bankable degree in something really hard. Some will make a good profit at virtual tours, but the odds are that most will not.

      Good Luck!

      Loren

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

      > Quoting Robert Slade <robert@...>:
      >
      > > Matthew Rogers wrote:
      > >
      > > > OK then show us a tour that required you to spend an hour in post-
      > > > processing per location.
      > >
      > > Download from camera: 3 mins
      > > Develop images in ACR, colour balance, sharpen, resize: 7 mins
      > > Load into PTGui: 2 mins
      > > Set project params: 2 mins
      > > Add manual control & optimise (8 images): 11 mins
      > > Stitch (HDR): 7 mins
      > > Go back, create alpha channel for person who moved: 4 mins
      > > Stitch again 7 mins
      > > Create mirror cap: 8 mins
      > > Convert to cube faces: 2 mins
      >
      > I have been thinking about workflow the last couple of days.
      >
      > why do you make cube faces here ?
      >
      > > Retouching: 6 mins:
      > > Load into Pano2VR and create SWF files: 5 mins
      > > Add hotspots: 6 mins
      > > Add map: 3 mins (average per tour)
      > > Cup of tea: 5 mins
      > >
      > > Optional: Virtual viewpoint: 5 mins, Nadir clone 5 mins.
      >
      > regards
      >
      > mick

    • lybarrondo
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 12, 2009