Re: hugin newbie questions

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "huginnewbie" <annatolkournifan@...> wrote:

      > First of all, SHOULD it be possible, given the nearly ideal series of shots that I'm able to work with, to produce a pretty much flawless picture, just by tweaking parameters in hugin?

      This is usually possible when you have taken the shots with the camera mounted on a spherical panorama head such that the effects of parallax have been eliminated. If you have the camera mounted on an ordinary pan & tilt head, than this may well not be the case. The camera needs to be mounted such that it rotates about the no-parallax point - located at the entrance pupil of the lens. However, if everything is a long way away from the camera, then parallax should not be a problem anyway.

      > IF it is possible to get a flawless result, where should I look to improve this first result? Is it for optimal result better to manually create the control points maybe?

      You need to include the lens parameters b and a in the optimization, to correct lens distortions. Parameter c is not usually needed, but you can try including that too, and also the horizontal and vertical shift parameters (d & e).

      When the control points are generated automatically, some may be positioned inaccurately and there may not be a good spread of the points along the overlap areas. The control point distances reported in the control point table should be examined and the placement of the worst points checked and corrected if necessary. Where you see alignment errors in the stitched panorama, try assigning extra points manually in the neighborhood of the errors. This will encourage the optimizer to improve the alignment in those areas.

      If the control points are clustered in the middle of the seams, consider adding extra points manually to improve their spread.

      As already pointed out, you need to select rectilinear projection for the output, as that is the only projection in which all straight lines are preserved. In the equirectangular projection, only vertical straight lines and the line of the horizon are preserved, but wider views can be easily accommodated.

      John