Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Reverse panorama software?

  • Matt Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2009
      You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered. http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

      Matt Smith
      PhotoSpherix
      317.396.5791
      360 Product Photography
      Indianapolis, Indiana USA
      http://www.photospherix.com

      On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:26 PM, fierodeval wrote:

      > Hi Roger,
      >
      > Do you mean a object VR? This is an example http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr_sample.php?demo=gardengnome
      >
      > regards!
      > fiero
      >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Goodman" <rlgoodman@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> Greetings, all. I am fairly new to the group, lurking for the past
      >> couple months. I am thinking about making what I am calling a
      >> reverse panorama (this may not be the correct term, someone help me
      >> out if I am incorrect). Instead of a VR panorama, where the camera
      >> is in the center of the image, and everything around it moves, I
      >> would like the center of the image to be fixed, and the camera
      >> moves around that object, so you can look at different angles, and
      >> perhaps move in close and back away from the center object. Is
      >> there software that would do this now? Any suggestions for finding
      >> tutorials, or examples, of this kind of thing? Any pointers
      >> appreciated. Oh, an animated GIF isn't quite what I have in mind,
      >> as you can't move around it, but at least it is closer than a flat
      >> panorama.
      >> Thanks for any help. Roger

    • Roger Goodman
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2009
        Matt,
        Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
        site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but at
        first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several images,
        taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after another). The
        images are not blended/fused together, so that you can view from _any_
        angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least try the software out,
        but I don't think it will be exactly what I am looking for, from the
        descriptions given. I did view their quick start demo, so I have some
        idea what the software can do.
        Thank you,
        Roger

        You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered.
        http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
        <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>

        Matt Smith
        PhotoSpherix
        317.396.5791
        360 Product Photography
        Indianapolis, Indiana USA
        http://www.photospherix.com <http://www.photospherix.com>
      • Juergen Schrader
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2009
          To view an object at any angle you have either to move around the object or turn the object. And if you want to make this process receptable for other spectators you will have to capture it in single pictures or a video stream unless you have a "virtual" object in 3D space. We yet can't beat physics at this point ;)

          Regards
          Jürgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Goodman <rlgoodman@...> wrote:

          > Matt,
          > Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
          > site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but at
          > first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several images,
          > taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after another). The
          > images are not blended/fused together, so that you can view from _any_
          > angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least try the software out,
          > but I don't think it will be exactly what I am looking for, from the
          > descriptions given. I did view their quick start demo, so I have some
          > idea what the software can do.
          > Thank you,
          > Roger
          >
          > You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered.
          > http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
          > <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>
          >
          > Matt Smith
          > PhotoSpherix
          > 317.396.5791
          > 360 Product Photography
          > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
          > http://www.photospherix.com <http://www.photospherix.com>

        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
            To expand a bit on Jürgen's post...

            Images for a panorama can be blended together because they are all
            effectively taken from the same place, so there is no parallax error.

            Photographs looking inwards at an object (an object movie) can't be
            blended/fused together because they are all taken from different
            viewpoints. EVERY view that you want in the final object movie has to
            be a separate image - if you want something smoother than an image
            every 15 degrees then you have to shoot all the extra photos and live
            with the file size ballooning.

            As an example, a view every 5 degrees is going to mean 72 photos per
            row and 18 rows to get from horizontal to looking down on the top of
            the object - that's 1296 images!

            The only way to get around this is to create a 3D model in some kind
            of modelling software and have it displayed in a 3D viewer. This will
            give a far smaller file size and give every possible viewing angle,
            but if the object is at all complex in shape, creating the 4D model
            and optimising it for viewing is going to take you a loooong time
            unless you are already a 3D pro. :-(

            Ian

            On 4 Aug 2009, at 05:38, Juergen Schrader wrote:

            > To view an object at any angle you have either to move around the
            > object or turn the object. And if you want to make this process
            > receptable for other spectators you will have to capture it in
            > single pictures or a video stream unless you have a "virtual" object
            > in 3D space. We yet can't beat physics at this point ;)
            >
            > Regards
            > Jürgen
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Goodman <rlgoodman@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> Matt,
            >> Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
            >> site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but at
            >> first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several
            >> images,
            >> taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after another).
            >> The
            >> images are not blended/fused together, so that you can view from
            >> _any_
            >> angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least try the software
            >> out,
            >> but I don't think it will be exactly what I am looking for, from the
            >> descriptions given. I did view their quick start demo, so I have
            >> some
            >> idea what the software can do.
            >> Thank you,
            >> Roger
          • Matt Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
              Roger,

              Are you thinking something more like this example?

              http://www.photospherix.com/4.asp?aid=vers_final.swf&theID=67
              It is a 10 row 360 x 180 Object shot.

              Matt Smith
              PhotoSpherix
              317.396.5791
              360 Product Photography
              Indianapolis, Indiana USA
              http://www.photospherix.com

              On Aug 3, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Roger Goodman wrote:

              > Matt,
              > Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
              > site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but
              > at first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several
              > images, taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after
              > another). The images are not blended/fused together, so that you
              > can view from _any_ angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least
              > try the software out, but I don't think it will be exactly what I am
              > looking for, from the descriptions given. I did view their quick
              > start demo, so I have some idea what the software can do.
              > Thank you,
              > Roger
              >
              > You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered. http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
              > <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>
              >
              > Matt Smith
              > PhotoSpherix
              > 317.396.5791
              > 360 Product Photography
              > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
              > http://www.photospherix.com <http://www.photospherix.com>

            • Robert Slade
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
                That's beautiful work Matt. Do you mind me asking how you shot the
                up/down rotational part of this object? Was it using one of those object
                VR quarter circular arms that I've seen advertised?

                Regards,
                Rob
                --

                Matt Smith wrote:
                > Roger,
                >
                > Are you thinking something more like this example?
                >
                > http://www.photospherix.com/4.asp?aid=vers_final.swf&theID=67
                > It is a 10 row 360 x 180 Object shot.
                >

                > Matt Smith
                > PhotoSpherix
                > 317.396.5791
                > 360 Product Photography
                > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                > http://www.photospherix.com
                >
                > On Aug 3, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Roger Goodman wrote:
                >
                >> Matt,
                >> Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
                >> site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but
                >> at first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several
                >> images, taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after
                >> another). The images are not blended/fused together, so that you
                >> can view from _any_ angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least
                >> try the software out, but I don't think it will be exactly what I am
                >> looking for, from the descriptions given. I did view their quick
                >> start demo, so I have some idea what the software can do.
                >> Thank you,
                >> Roger
                >>
                >> You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered. http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
                >> <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>
                >>
                >> Matt Smith
                >> PhotoSpherix
                >> 317.396.5791
                >> 360 Product Photography
                >> Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                >> http://www.photospherix.com <http://www.photospherix.com>

                Robert Slade, Photographer
                Manor Photography 07890 564889
                http://www.manor-photography.com
              • Matt Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
                  Something similar to that concept, I use a couple different multi-row
                  rigs. All of the rigs that I use a purpose built. I have not found a
                  manufacturer that I like just yet. Here is a link to one that is
                  sowing great promise, I just have not had a chance to use it yet.
                  http://www.virtuall.cz/en/category/fotorobot/machinery-overview/arm/

                  The rig the radio was shot on is the rig pictured in this post.
                  http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1702&p=7596&hilit=rig#p7596

                  As Ian and Juergen said, the concept is that you have to take a
                  multitude of images from repeatable angles to generate the illusion of
                  rotation.

                  The radio is 200 images; 20 images shot every 18 degrees around 10 axis.

                  Matt Smith
                  PhotoSpherix
                  317.396.5791
                  360 Product Photography
                  Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                  http://www.photospherix.com

                  On Aug 4, 2009, at 7:08 AM, Robert Slade wrote:

                  > That's beautiful work Matt. Do you mind me asking how you shot the
                  > up/down rotational part of this object? Was it using one of those
                  > object
                  > VR quarter circular arms that I've seen advertised?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Rob
                  > --
                  >
                  > Matt Smith wrote:
                  >> Roger,
                  >>
                  >> Are you thinking something more like this example?
                  >>
                  >> http://www.photospherix.com/4.asp?aid=vers_final.swf&theID=67
                  >> It is a 10 row 360 x 180 Object shot.
                  >>

                  >> Matt Smith
                  >> PhotoSpherix
                  >> 317.396.5791
                  >> 360 Product Photography
                  >> Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                  >> http://www.photospherix.com
                  >>
                  >> On Aug 3, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Roger Goodman wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Matt,
                  >>> Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
                  >>> site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but
                  >>> at first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several
                  >>> images, taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after
                  >>> another). The images are not blended/fused together, so that you
                  >>> can view from _any_ angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least
                  >>> try the software out, but I don't think it will be exactly what I am
                  >>> looking for, from the descriptions given. I did view their quick
                  >>> start demo, so I have some idea what the software can do.
                  >>> Thank you,
                  >>> Roger
                  >>>
                  >>> You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered. http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
                  >>> <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>