Re: Quicktime alternative works with QTVR (and probably 64bit)

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
      Why bother, Hans?
      The best viewer for QTVR on WIN for both 32 and 64bit ist DevalVR.

      Cheers
      Jürgen

      > I have never really tried the Quicktime alternative and as far as I
      > know it was not able to show QTVR.
      > However as I just set up a test PC (I am Mac user) I decided to give
      > it a test.
      >
      > Searches for Quicktime alternative and QTVR did not give me any
      > information about compatibility.
      > However I also found that there is now an additional Quicktime viewer
      > called QTlite from the same people as Quicktime Alternative.
      > It does not say anything about QTVR.
      >
      > I uninstalled my Quicktime and tested my own old QTVR pages.
      > I use the standard Javascript embed from Apple and I got no feedback
      > at all in IE. After 30 sec I got the Active X menu at the top.
      > Tested also in Firefox and this gave me a popup saying that I needed a
      > plugin but the search for a plugin gave me no result.
      > So next was to go to the QT lite site and install it.
      > http://www.codecguide.com/qt_lite.htm
      > Installation was fast and easy just 9,5mb.
      >
      > It asks for installing for Firefox/Netscape/Chrome/Opera but not for
      > IE which puzzled me.
      > Anyhow after installation I went back to my QTVR pages and surprise.
      > Both IE6 and Firefox showed the QTVR perfectly.
      >
      > The page does not mention 64bit but according to other sources it
      > should work.
      > What puzzles me is that they say
      > - QuickTime base components [version 7.62.14.0]
      > - QuickTime ActiveX plugin
      > - QuickTime plugin for Opera/Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Google Chrome
      > No mention of IE but it works fine in the old IE 6 I have on this test PC /Win XP
      >
      > I have not updated from IE6 yet because I know there is still quit a lot of visitors with IE6 and IE6 has some problems with Google Maps which I have not solved yet. It just shows them once and then it tries to get them from cache which of course just gives an error page.
      >
      > Hans
      > www,panoramas.dk

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

        > Why bother, Hans?
        > The best viewer for QTVR on WIN for both 32 and 64bit ist DevalVR.

        Yes but you need to recreate your pages.
        I have 2002-2007 as QTVR

        Then I can just as well do it in Flash.

        Hans

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
          Hans Nyberg wrote:

          > > The best viewer for QTVR on WIN for both 32 and 64bit ist DevalVR.
          >
          > Yes but you need to recreate your pages.

          You can have convert2.php do it for you on-the-fly:
          http://dativ.at/brocap/index.html

          best regards
        • Bruno Postle
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
            On Sun 02-Aug-2009 at 12:24 +0200, Jan Martin wrote:

            > Does anyone know how to play Quicktime panos on Ubuntu Linux?
            > So far the QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0 (Totem 2.26.1) only plays
            > audio/video, but no panos.

            You can use freepv: http://freepv.sourceforge.net/ which has a
            mozilla/firefox plugin for viewing QTVR. Alternatively if you don't
            mind downloading the .mov file first, the Panini viewer works very
            well: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvqt/

            After this year's Google Summer of Code has finished, VideoLan (VLC)
            should have support for QTVR - This is ideal as it will let you view
            both QuickTime movies and QTVR with the same browser plugin on all
            platforms.

            --
            Bruno
          • fierodeval
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009

              > Hans Nyberg wrote:
              >
              > > > The best viewer for QTVR on WIN for both 32 and 64bit ist DevalVR.
              > >
              > > Yes but you need to recreate your pages.
              >
              > You can have convert2.php do it for you on-the-fly:
              > http://dativ.at/brocap/index.html
              >
              > best regards
              > --
              > Erik Krause
              > http://www.erik-krause.de

              Erik, I think Hans speaks about to convert pages, not about to convert files.

              About QT Alternative, this is not a new program. QT Alternative is only a package with the Apple QuickTime DLL files in a lighter distribution. So, the browser plugin is exactly the same that Apple QuickTime. I don't know about the legality of to distribute this package, if you search "QT Alternative" on Internet you can see that there is not any company behind this package, the package is only in "donwloading codecs" pages. You can see in the installation folder, that all files are the same that Apple QuickTime, with the Apple copyright.

              regards!
              fiero
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                fierodeval wrote:

                > Erik, I think Hans speaks about to convert pages, not about to convert files

                convert2.php does convert HTML files aka pages. You would call it like that
                http://YOUR_URL/convert2.php?file=mypage.html&format=devr
                in order open mypage.html usinf DevalVR

                Some rewrite rules can shorten this to f.e.
                http://YOUR_URL/mypage.devr
                in order to open mypage.html and convert it to use with DevalVR.

                See http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/turm_qt.devr (DevalVR) or
                http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/turm_qt.htm (same page with QT) for an
                example.
                http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/convert2.php?file=turm_qt.htm&format=devr
                is the not rewritten link.

                best regards
              • fierodeval
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                  oh!, excuse my misunderstanding, then convert2.php converts the html code. I see now, thanks!

                  fiero

                  > fierodeval wrote:
                  >
                  > > Erik, I think Hans speaks about to convert pages, not about to convert files
                  >
                  > convert2.php does convert HTML files aka pages. You would call it like that
                  > http://YOUR_URL/convert2.php?file=mypage.html&format=devr
                  > in order open mypage.html usinf DevalVR
                  >
                  > Some rewrite rules can shorten this to f.e.
                  > http://YOUR_URL/mypage.devr
                  > in order to open mypage.html and convert it to use with DevalVR.
                  >
                  > See http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/turm_qt.devr (DevalVR) or
                  > http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/turm_qt.htm (same page with QT) for an
                  > example.
                  > http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/convert2.php?file=turm_qt.htm&format=devr
                  > is the not rewritten link.
                  >
                  > best regards
                  > --
                  > Erik Krause
                  > http://www.erik-krause.de

                • fierodeval
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 8, 2009
                    Hi all,

                    In a previous message I told that the files of QT Alternative are the same that QuickTime official package developed by Apple, this is true, but I never tested this package in a 64bit OS. To be sure, I have installed QT Alternative (QT Lite) in a Windows XP 64bit today and the result is the same that QuickTime, it does not work.

                    regards!
                    fiero