Re: Quicktime alternative works with QTVR (and probably 64bit)

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:

      > Hans,
      >
      > when you say "I just set up a test PC", you mean a PC with Windows OS?

      Yes just a standard cheap Acer Aspire 2.0 which one of my friends had a couple of years before it broke. Which I found was just the harddisc so after putting one of my old Mac Hard discs on it and Installing a standard XPHome and drivers from Acer it works fine for me as a test PC.

      Hans

      > Does anyone know how to play Quicktime panos on Ubuntu Linux?
      > So far the QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0 (Totem 2.26.1) only plays audio/video,
      > but no panos.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jan
      >
      > On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I have never really tried the Quicktime alternative and as far as I
      > > know it was not able to show QTVR.
      > > However as I just set up a test PC (I am Mac user) I decided to give
      > > it a test.
      > >
      > > Searches for Quicktime alternative and QTVR did not give me any
      > > information about compatibility.
      > > However I also found that there is now an additional Quicktime viewer
      > > called QTlite from the same people as Quicktime Alternative.
      > > It does not say anything about QTVR.
      > >
      > > I uninstalled my Quicktime and tested my own old QTVR pages.
      > > I use the standard Javascript embed from Apple and I got no feedback
      > > at all in IE. After 30 sec I got the Active X menu at the top.
      > > Tested also in Firefox and this gave me a popup saying that I needed a
      > > plugin but the search for a plugin gave me no result.
      > > So next was to go to the QT lite site and install it.
      > > http://www.codecguide.com/qt_lite.htm
      > > Installation was fast and easy just 9,5mb.
      > >
      > > It asks for installing for Firefox/Netscape/Chrome/Opera but not for
      > > IE which puzzled me.
      > > Anyhow after installation I went back to my QTVR pages and surprise.
      > > Both IE6 and Firefox showed the QTVR perfectly.
      > >
      > > The page does not mention 64bit but according to other sources it
      > > should work.
      > > What puzzles me is that they say
      > > - QuickTime base components [version 7.62.14.0]
      > > - QuickTime ActiveX plugin
      > > - QuickTime plugin for Opera/Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Google Chrome
      > > No mention of IE but it works fine in the old IE 6 I have on this test PC
      > > /Win XP
      > >
      > > I have not updated from IE6 yet because I know there is still quit a lot of
      > > visitors with IE6 and IE6 has some problems with Google Maps which I have
      > > not solved yet. It just shows them once and then it tries to get them from
      > > cache which of course just gives an error page.
      > >
      > > Hans
      > > www,panoramas.dk

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
        I got a mail from someone who tested it on Vista 64 and unfortunately it seems to have the same problem with QTVR.
        Anyone else who can confirm this ?

        > I have never really tried the Quicktime alternative and as far as I
        > know it was not able to show QTVR.
        > However as I just set up a test PC (I am Mac user) I decided to give
        > it a test.
        >
        > Searches for Quicktime alternative and QTVR did not give me any
        > information about compatibility.
        > However I also found that there is now an additional Quicktime viewer
        > called QTlite from the same people as Quicktime Alternative.
        > It does not say anything about QTVR.
        >
        > I uninstalled my Quicktime and tested my own old QTVR pages.
        > I use the standard Javascript embed from Apple and I got no feedback
        > at all in IE. After 30 sec I got the Active X menu at the top.
        > Tested also in Firefox and this gave me a popup saying that I needed a
        > plugin but the search for a plugin gave me no result.
        > So next was to go to the QT lite site and install it.
        > http://www.codecguide.com/qt_lite.htm
        > Installation was fast and easy just 9,5mb.
        >
        > It asks for installing for Firefox/Netscape/Chrome/Opera but not for
        > IE which puzzled me.
        > Anyhow after installation I went back to my QTVR pages and surprise.
        > Both IE6 and Firefox showed the QTVR perfectly.
        >
        > The page does not mention 64bit but according to other sources it
        > should work.
        > What puzzles me is that they say
        > - QuickTime base components [version 7.62.14.0]
        > - QuickTime ActiveX plugin
        > - QuickTime plugin for Opera/Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Google Chrome
        > No mention of IE but it works fine in the old IE 6 I have on this test PC /Win XP
        >
        > I have not updated from IE6 yet because I know there is still quit a lot of visitors with IE6 and IE6 has some problems with Google Maps which I have not solved yet. It just shows them once and then it tries to get them from cache which of course just gives an error page.
        >
        > Hans
        > www,panoramas.dk

      • Juergen Schrader
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
          Why bother, Hans?
          The best viewer for QTVR on WIN for both 32 and 64bit ist DevalVR.

          Cheers
          Jürgen

          > I have never really tried the Quicktime alternative and as far as I
          > know it was not able to show QTVR.
          > However as I just set up a test PC (I am Mac user) I decided to give
          > it a test.
          >
          > Searches for Quicktime alternative and QTVR did not give me any
          > information about compatibility.
          > However I also found that there is now an additional Quicktime viewer
          > called QTlite from the same people as Quicktime Alternative.
          > It does not say anything about QTVR.
          >
          > I uninstalled my Quicktime and tested my own old QTVR pages.
          > I use the standard Javascript embed from Apple and I got no feedback
          > at all in IE. After 30 sec I got the Active X menu at the top.
          > Tested also in Firefox and this gave me a popup saying that I needed a
          > plugin but the search for a plugin gave me no result.
          > So next was to go to the QT lite site and install it.
          > http://www.codecguide.com/qt_lite.htm
          > Installation was fast and easy just 9,5mb.
          >
          > It asks for installing for Firefox/Netscape/Chrome/Opera but not for
          > IE which puzzled me.
          > Anyhow after installation I went back to my QTVR pages and surprise.
          > Both IE6 and Firefox showed the QTVR perfectly.
          >
          > The page does not mention 64bit but according to other sources it
          > should work.
          > What puzzles me is that they say
          > - QuickTime base components [version 7.62.14.0]
          > - QuickTime ActiveX plugin
          > - QuickTime plugin for Opera/Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Google Chrome
          > No mention of IE but it works fine in the old IE 6 I have on this test PC /Win XP
          >
          > I have not updated from IE6 yet because I know there is still quit a lot of visitors with IE6 and IE6 has some problems with Google Maps which I have not solved yet. It just shows them once and then it tries to get them from cache which of course just gives an error page.
          >
          > Hans
          > www,panoramas.dk

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

            > Why bother, Hans?
            > The best viewer for QTVR on WIN for both 32 and 64bit ist DevalVR.

            Yes but you need to recreate your pages.
            I have 2002-2007 as QTVR

            Then I can just as well do it in Flash.

            Hans

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
              Hans Nyberg wrote:

              > > The best viewer for QTVR on WIN for both 32 and 64bit ist DevalVR.
              >
              > Yes but you need to recreate your pages.

              You can have convert2.php do it for you on-the-fly:
              http://dativ.at/brocap/index.html

              best regards
            • Bruno Postle
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                On Sun 02-Aug-2009 at 12:24 +0200, Jan Martin wrote:

                > Does anyone know how to play Quicktime panos on Ubuntu Linux?
                > So far the QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0 (Totem 2.26.1) only plays
                > audio/video, but no panos.

                You can use freepv: http://freepv.sourceforge.net/ which has a
                mozilla/firefox plugin for viewing QTVR. Alternatively if you don't
                mind downloading the .mov file first, the Panini viewer works very
                well: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvqt/

                After this year's Google Summer of Code has finished, VideoLan (VLC)
                should have support for QTVR - This is ideal as it will let you view
                both QuickTime movies and QTVR with the same browser plugin on all
                platforms.

                --
                Bruno
              • fierodeval
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009

                  > Hans Nyberg wrote:
                  >
                  > > > The best viewer for QTVR on WIN for both 32 and 64bit ist DevalVR.
                  > >
                  > > Yes but you need to recreate your pages.
                  >
                  > You can have convert2.php do it for you on-the-fly:
                  > http://dativ.at/brocap/index.html
                  >
                  > best regards
                  > --
                  > Erik Krause
                  > http://www.erik-krause.de

                  Erik, I think Hans speaks about to convert pages, not about to convert files.

                  About QT Alternative, this is not a new program. QT Alternative is only a package with the Apple QuickTime DLL files in a lighter distribution. So, the browser plugin is exactly the same that Apple QuickTime. I don't know about the legality of to distribute this package, if you search "QT Alternative" on Internet you can see that there is not any company behind this package, the package is only in "donwloading codecs" pages. You can see in the installation folder, that all files are the same that Apple QuickTime, with the Apple copyright.

                  regards!
                  fiero
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                    fierodeval wrote:

                    > Erik, I think Hans speaks about to convert pages, not about to convert files

                    convert2.php does convert HTML files aka pages. You would call it like that
                    http://YOUR_URL/convert2.php?file=mypage.html&format=devr
                    in order open mypage.html usinf DevalVR

                    Some rewrite rules can shorten this to f.e.
                    http://YOUR_URL/mypage.devr
                    in order to open mypage.html and convert it to use with DevalVR.

                    See http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/turm_qt.devr (DevalVR) or
                    http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/turm_qt.htm (same page with QT) for an
                    example.
                    http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/convert2.php?file=turm_qt.htm&format=devr
                    is the not rewritten link.

                    best regards
                  • fierodeval
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                      oh!, excuse my misunderstanding, then convert2.php converts the html code. I see now, thanks!

                      fiero

                      > fierodeval wrote:
                      >
                      > > Erik, I think Hans speaks about to convert pages, not about to convert files
                      >
                      > convert2.php does convert HTML files aka pages. You would call it like that
                      > http://YOUR_URL/convert2.php?file=mypage.html&format=devr
                      > in order open mypage.html usinf DevalVR
                      >
                      > Some rewrite rules can shorten this to f.e.
                      > http://YOUR_URL/mypage.devr
                      > in order to open mypage.html and convert it to use with DevalVR.
                      >
                      > See http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/turm_qt.devr (DevalVR) or
                      > http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/turm_qt.htm (same page with QT) for an
                      > example.
                      > http://pano.erik-krause.de/turm/convert2.php?file=turm_qt.htm&format=devr
                      > is the not rewritten link.
                      >
                      > best regards
                      > --
                      > Erik Krause
                      > http://www.erik-krause.de

                    • fierodeval
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 8, 2009
                        Hi all,

                        In a previous message I told that the files of QT Alternative are the same that QuickTime official package developed by Apple, this is true, but I never tested this package in a 64bit OS. To be sure, I have installed QT Alternative (QT Lite) in a Windows XP 64bit today and the result is the same that QuickTime, it does not work.

                        regards!
                        fiero