Re: Realistic exterior views

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 2, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jürgen!
      >
      > I am sure it is an issue quite a lot of us are struggling with.
      >
      > The Franz Marc Museum Cafe example indeed looks great, but with "the last picture" you mean the one titled Aquarium? For me it has the same 'flatness', perhaps a bit less, as the other window-views.
      >
      > Indoor/outdoor white balance differences obviously do not help to lessen the problem. I fully agree the perfect balance is soooo difficult to find!
      >
      > Erik Leeman

      I do not think you are getting the same. The last panorama is the one with the sun shining in and with shadows on the floor from the window.

      And Jürgen is right this together with the reflections in the window gives you the 3D effect you are asking for.

      It will be very difficult to get the same effect in a window of the type you have in your panorama unless you can take it at a time when the sun is shining through the window.

      Hans

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" wrote:
      > >
      > > No, Erik, I don't think it's a matter of parallax.
      > >
      > > As far as I have found out so far it is more a matter of how the
      > > area close around the window frame areas are captured. Especially
      > > on the inside of a room.
      > >
      > > The example here has the same problems as in your picture:
      > > http://www.franz-marc-museum.de/rundgang/fmm_og25.html
      > > But this one hasn't (look at the last picture):
      > > http://schrader-air.de/panorama/kochel/museum/
      > >
      > > You may also look at the other examples of this series and judge
      > > the window areas.
      > >
      > > To me one of the biggest problems during tonemapping or (whatever
      > > method one prefers) is to get the perfect balance between interiors
      > > and exteriors. I wish I had found a workflow to get it in one go
      > > but yet I am searching ;)
      > >
      > > Best
      > > Jürgen

    • erik leeman
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 8, 2009
        Hi Jann,
        Indeed mixed-light colour balance issues can really ruin interior panos with (or even without) outside views, but that was not the problem I was addressing in my posting.
        In real life our heads and eyes do not turn in a 'no parallax point' when we look around us, therefore everything we see seems to be moving in relation to everything else in view due to parallax. Of course our brain very cleverly 'repaints' this imaging chaos, so we are not too aware of this effect.
        But at the same time we do (unconsciously) use it to judge depth, especially for distant objects. This also works if you look with just one eye.
        In VR imaging we do our very best to eliminate parallax, there's no way around it for obvious reasons. But eliminating parallax has a serious drawback that becomes very apparent when you try to capture a room with a view. Of course stereo panos would solve everything, but we are not there yet, so a 'make do' solution would, for the time being, be very welcome. That was why I was thinking about creating separate layers etc. to simulate parallax. All to repair the 'exterior view pasted on the window' effect.
        Any suggestions on how to re-introduce depth parallax in a 360x180 degree panorama would be very welcome indeed!

        Kind regards,

        Erik Leeman

        (www.erikleeman.com - www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/)