Re: Realistic exterior views

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 2, 2009
      No, Erik, I don't think it's a matter of parallax.

      As far as I have found out so far it is more a matter of how the area close around the window frame areas are captured. Especially on the inside of a room.

      The example here has the same problems as in your picture:
      http://www.franz-marc-museum.de/rundgang/fmm_og25.html
      But this one hasn't (look at the last picture):
      http://schrader-air.de/panorama/kochel/museum/

      You may also look at the other examples of this series and judge the window areas.

      To me one of the biggest problems during tonemapping or (whatever method one prefers) is to get the perfect balance between interiors and exteriors. I wish I had found a workflow to get it in one go but yet I am searching ;)

      Best
      J├╝rgen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

      > Well, you both won AND lost your bet Erik, it was a mixture of both.
      > I used an exposure-fused (PTGui, 3 exposures) version for the window- and door frames and the areas around them, a long-exposure series for the rest of the interior, and finally blended in a short-exposure series at about 85% opacity to get some detail in the landscape. I could't find acceptable settings for the exposure fused series for all of it, the contrast just was too stark.
      >
      > Of course I could make the exterior brighter, but that's not what I want. There are situations where the exterior is just as important as the interior, so you need to capture both.
      >
      > I think one of the reasons it doesn't 'work' is that the exterior distorts with the interior when panning, like it was glued to it.
      > The brain somehow expects this to look different and 'breaks the spell' so to speak. That's why I was thinking of ways to introduce some kind of parallax between foreground and background. But how to implement that?
      >
      > Kind regards,
      >
      > Erik Leeman
      >

      > (www.erikleeman.com www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/)
      >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause wrote:
      > >
      > > Now, how did you actually get the exterior well exposed (or even too
      > > dark)? If you blended it by hand you simply can increase brightness
      > > for the exterior a bit. Anyone expects a sunlit exterior to be
      > > brighter than the interior (and even a bit washed).
      > >
      > > I bet you didn't use exposure fusion, since it normally doesn't
      > > create such unrealistic looks.
      > >
      > > best regards
      > > --
      > > Erik Krause
      > > http://www.erik-krause.de

    • erik leeman
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 8, 2009
        Hi Jann,
        Indeed mixed-light colour balance issues can really ruin interior panos with (or even without) outside views, but that was not the problem I was addressing in my posting.
        In real life our heads and eyes do not turn in a 'no parallax point' when we look around us, therefore everything we see seems to be moving in relation to everything else in view due to parallax. Of course our brain very cleverly 'repaints' this imaging chaos, so we are not too aware of this effect.
        But at the same time we do (unconsciously) use it to judge depth, especially for distant objects. This also works if you look with just one eye.
        In VR imaging we do our very best to eliminate parallax, there's no way around it for obvious reasons. But eliminating parallax has a serious drawback that becomes very apparent when you try to capture a room with a view. Of course stereo panos would solve everything, but we are not there yet, so a 'make do' solution would, for the time being, be very welcome. That was why I was thinking about creating separate layers etc. to simulate parallax. All to repair the 'exterior view pasted on the window' effect.
        Any suggestions on how to re-introduce depth parallax in a 360x180 degree panorama would be very welcome indeed!