Re: Reverse panorama software?

  • fierodeval
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1 5:26 PM
      Hi Roger,

      Do you mean a object VR? This is an example http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr_sample.php?demo=gardengnome

      regards!
      fiero

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Goodman" <rlgoodman@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, all. I am fairly new to the group, lurking for the past couple months. I am thinking about making what I am calling a reverse panorama (this may not be the correct term, someone help me out if I am incorrect). Instead of a VR panorama, where the camera is in the center of the image, and everything around it moves, I would like the center of the image to be fixed, and the camera moves around that object, so you can look at different angles, and perhaps move in close and back away from the center object. Is there software that would do this now? Any suggestions for finding tutorials, or examples, of this kind of thing? Any pointers appreciated. Oh, an animated GIF isn't quite what I have in mind, as you can't move around it, but at least it is closer than a flat panorama.
      > Thanks for any help. Roger

    • Matt Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3 4:52 AM
        You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered. http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

        Matt Smith
        PhotoSpherix
        317.396.5791
        360 Product Photography
        Indianapolis, Indiana USA
        http://www.photospherix.com

        On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:26 PM, fierodeval wrote:

        > Hi Roger,
        >
        > Do you mean a object VR? This is an example http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr_sample.php?demo=gardengnome
        >
        > regards!
        > fiero
        >

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Goodman" <rlgoodman@...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> Greetings, all. I am fairly new to the group, lurking for the past
        >> couple months. I am thinking about making what I am calling a
        >> reverse panorama (this may not be the correct term, someone help me
        >> out if I am incorrect). Instead of a VR panorama, where the camera
        >> is in the center of the image, and everything around it moves, I
        >> would like the center of the image to be fixed, and the camera
        >> moves around that object, so you can look at different angles, and
        >> perhaps move in close and back away from the center object. Is
        >> there software that would do this now? Any suggestions for finding
        >> tutorials, or examples, of this kind of thing? Any pointers
        >> appreciated. Oh, an animated GIF isn't quite what I have in mind,
        >> as you can't move around it, but at least it is closer than a flat
        >> panorama.
        >> Thanks for any help. Roger

      • Roger Goodman
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3 5:12 PM
          Matt,
          Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
          site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but at
          first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several images,
          taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after another). The
          images are not blended/fused together, so that you can view from _any_
          angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least try the software out,
          but I don't think it will be exactly what I am looking for, from the
          descriptions given. I did view their quick start demo, so I have some
          idea what the software can do.
          Thank you,
          Roger

          You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered.
          http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
          <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>

          Matt Smith
          PhotoSpherix
          317.396.5791
          360 Product Photography
          Indianapolis, Indiana USA
          http://www.photospherix.com <http://www.photospherix.com>
        • Juergen Schrader
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3 9:38 PM
            To view an object at any angle you have either to move around the object or turn the object. And if you want to make this process receptable for other spectators you will have to capture it in single pictures or a video stream unless you have a "virtual" object in 3D space. We yet can't beat physics at this point ;)

            Regards
            Jürgen

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Goodman <rlgoodman@...> wrote:

            > Matt,
            > Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
            > site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but at
            > first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several images,
            > taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after another). The
            > images are not blended/fused together, so that you can view from _any_
            > angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least try the software out,
            > but I don't think it will be exactly what I am looking for, from the
            > descriptions given. I did view their quick start demo, so I have some
            > idea what the software can do.
            > Thank you,
            > Roger
            >
            > You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered.
            > http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
            > <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>
            >
            > Matt Smith
            > PhotoSpherix
            > 317.396.5791
            > 360 Product Photography
            > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
            > http://www.photospherix.com <http://www.photospherix.com>

          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4 1:29 AM
              To expand a bit on Jürgen's post...

              Images for a panorama can be blended together because they are all
              effectively taken from the same place, so there is no parallax error.

              Photographs looking inwards at an object (an object movie) can't be
              blended/fused together because they are all taken from different
              viewpoints. EVERY view that you want in the final object movie has to
              be a separate image - if you want something smoother than an image
              every 15 degrees then you have to shoot all the extra photos and live
              with the file size ballooning.

              As an example, a view every 5 degrees is going to mean 72 photos per
              row and 18 rows to get from horizontal to looking down on the top of
              the object - that's 1296 images!

              The only way to get around this is to create a 3D model in some kind
              of modelling software and have it displayed in a 3D viewer. This will
              give a far smaller file size and give every possible viewing angle,
              but if the object is at all complex in shape, creating the 4D model
              and optimising it for viewing is going to take you a loooong time
              unless you are already a 3D pro. :-(

              Ian

              On 4 Aug 2009, at 05:38, Juergen Schrader wrote:

              > To view an object at any angle you have either to move around the
              > object or turn the object. And if you want to make this process
              > receptable for other spectators you will have to capture it in
              > single pictures or a video stream unless you have a "virtual" object
              > in 3D space. We yet can't beat physics at this point ;)
              >
              > Regards
              > Jürgen
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Goodman <rlgoodman@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> Matt,
              >> Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
              >> site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but at
              >> first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several
              >> images,
              >> taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after another).
              >> The
              >> images are not blended/fused together, so that you can view from
              >> _any_
              >> angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least try the software
              >> out,
              >> but I don't think it will be exactly what I am looking for, from the
              >> descriptions given. I did view their quick start demo, so I have
              >> some
              >> idea what the software can do.
              >> Thank you,
              >> Roger
            • Matt Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4 3:54 AM
                Roger,

                Are you thinking something more like this example?

                http://www.photospherix.com/4.asp?aid=vers_final.swf&theID=67
                It is a 10 row 360 x 180 Object shot.

                Matt Smith
                PhotoSpherix
                317.396.5791
                360 Product Photography
                Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                http://www.photospherix.com

                On Aug 3, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Roger Goodman wrote:

                > Matt,
                > Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
                > site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but
                > at first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several
                > images, taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after
                > another). The images are not blended/fused together, so that you
                > can view from _any_ angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least
                > try the software out, but I don't think it will be exactly what I am
                > looking for, from the descriptions given. I did view their quick
                > start demo, so I have some idea what the software can do.
                > Thank you,
                > Roger
                >
                > You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered. http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
                > <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>
                >
                > Matt Smith
                > PhotoSpherix
                > 317.396.5791
                > 360 Product Photography
                > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                > http://www.photospherix.com <http://www.photospherix.com>

              • Robert Slade
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4 4:08 AM
                  That's beautiful work Matt. Do you mind me asking how you shot the
                  up/down rotational part of this object? Was it using one of those object
                  VR quarter circular arms that I've seen advertised?

                  Regards,
                  Rob
                  --

                  Matt Smith wrote:
                  > Roger,
                  >
                  > Are you thinking something more like this example?
                  >
                  > http://www.photospherix.com/4.asp?aid=vers_final.swf&theID=67
                  > It is a 10 row 360 x 180 Object shot.
                  >

                  > Matt Smith
                  > PhotoSpherix
                  > 317.396.5791
                  > 360 Product Photography
                  > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                  > http://www.photospherix.com
                  >
                  > On Aug 3, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Roger Goodman wrote:
                  >
                  >> Matt,
                  >> Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
                  >> site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but
                  >> at first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several
                  >> images, taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after
                  >> another). The images are not blended/fused together, so that you
                  >> can view from _any_ angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least
                  >> try the software out, but I don't think it will be exactly what I am
                  >> looking for, from the descriptions given. I did view their quick
                  >> start demo, so I have some idea what the software can do.
                  >> Thank you,
                  >> Roger
                  >>
                  >> You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered. http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
                  >> <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>
                  >>
                  >> Matt Smith
                  >> PhotoSpherix
                  >> 317.396.5791
                  >> 360 Product Photography
                  >> Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                  >> http://www.photospherix.com <http://www.photospherix.com>

                  Robert Slade, Photographer
                  Manor Photography 07890 564889
                  http://www.manor-photography.com
                • Matt Smith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4 4:25 AM
                    Something similar to that concept, I use a couple different multi-row
                    rigs. All of the rigs that I use a purpose built. I have not found a
                    manufacturer that I like just yet. Here is a link to one that is
                    sowing great promise, I just have not had a chance to use it yet.
                    http://www.virtuall.cz/en/category/fotorobot/machinery-overview/arm/

                    The rig the radio was shot on is the rig pictured in this post.
                    http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1702&p=7596&hilit=rig#p7596

                    As Ian and Juergen said, the concept is that you have to take a
                    multitude of images from repeatable angles to generate the illusion of
                    rotation.

                    The radio is 200 images; 20 images shot every 18 degrees around 10 axis.

                    Matt Smith
                    PhotoSpherix
                    317.396.5791
                    360 Product Photography
                    Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                    http://www.photospherix.com

                    On Aug 4, 2009, at 7:08 AM, Robert Slade wrote:

                    > That's beautiful work Matt. Do you mind me asking how you shot the
                    > up/down rotational part of this object? Was it using one of those
                    > object
                    > VR quarter circular arms that I've seen advertised?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Rob
                    > --
                    >
                    > Matt Smith wrote:
                    >> Roger,
                    >>
                    >> Are you thinking something more like this example?
                    >>
                    >> http://www.photospherix.com/4.asp?aid=vers_final.swf&theID=67
                    >> It is a 10 row 360 x 180 Object shot.
                    >>

                    >> Matt Smith
                    >> PhotoSpherix
                    >> 317.396.5791
                    >> 360 Product Photography
                    >> Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                    >> http://www.photospherix.com
                    >>
                    >> On Aug 3, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Roger Goodman wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Matt,
                    >>> Thank you for your input. I have been to the gardengnomesoftware
                    >>> site, and object2VR looks somewhat like what I am thinking of, but
                    >>> at first blush it still looks a lot like an animated GIF (several
                    >>> images, taken maybe 15 degrees apart, and shown one image after
                    >>> another). The images are not blended/fused together, so that you
                    >>> can view from _any_ angle (vertical or horizontal). I will at least
                    >>> try the software out, but I don't think it will be exactly what I am
                    >>> looking for, from the descriptions given. I did view their quick
                    >>> start demo, so I have some idea what the software can do.
                    >>> Thank you,
                    >>> Roger
                    >>>
                    >>> You can go to Garden Gnomes forums and get questions answered. http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
                    >>> <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14>