Re: [PanoToolsNG] United States Patent And Trademark Office Grants Imatronics Founder

  • Paulo Fernandes
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
      Thanks for the info,

      but could you please clarify what exactly is patented?
      I don't fully understand what is said in the link you provided, too much
      legal talk for me ;)

      For instance, from what I read it says that Imatronics now has the
      patent for any device that produces panoramic video and video transitions
      between panoramas?

      Is this right? If so am I the only one that smells iPix...

      or is it only the algorithm that converts and projects
      the video onto a sphere?

      Don't get me wrong it's a nice work and it should be protected, it's just
      that
      I'm a bit afraid of this patent thingies

      On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:08 AM, imatronics <imatronics@...> wrote:

      > We are pleased to inform you that the United States Patent And Trademark
      > Office (USPTO) has granted Imatronics Founder -- Dr. Frank Edughom Ekpar
      > -- patent rights to a broad range of imaging systems, devices and
      > methods.
      >
      > This patent grant is recorded in United States Patent Number 7567274
      > issued on July 28, 2009.
      >
      > You can access the full text of the patent on the USPTO web site:
      >
      > http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274
      > <http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274>
      >
      > This invention introduces systems, devices and methods aimed at
      > simplifying
      > the creation and management of high-impact virtual tours as well as
      > novel
      > general-purpose imaging, multimedia and information processing systems.
      >
      > Our founder has made and continues to make well recognized contributions
      > to the scientific community and to the advancement of humanity.
      >
      > This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
      > commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
      > research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
      > virtual tours.
      >
      > Imatronics Software -- including Panorama Express, Interactive Video,
      > Cute Album, OmniViewer, Media Express, etc -- is based on the only
      > authentic and comprehensively patented virtual tour system. By using
      > Imatronics Software to create and manage your virtual tours, you
      > leverage the results of over 15 years of cutting-edge scientific
      > research and development to take your virtual tour business to greater
      > heights.
      >
      > Please visit our web site to learn more about Imatronics:
      >
      > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>
      >
      > Thank you for your attention.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > The Imatronics Team.
      >
      > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

      Com os melhores cumprimentos,

      Paulo Fernandes
      Multimedia

      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
      Calçada do Lidador, 1ºAndar
      4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
      Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
        In other words, you made a spherical panorama viewer.

        " The present invention discloses a method and apparatus for creating
        interactive virtual tours. In one embodiment, panoramic imaging systems
        characterized by a 360-degree lateral field of view and a vertical field of view
        that is usually less than 180 degrees are utilized and polynomial-based
        interpolation algorithms are used to correct distortions in the input panoramic
        images, video or rendered scenes, permitting the use of an arbitrary panoramic
        imaging system characterized by the ability to generate a seamless 360-degree
        panoramic view of the imaged scene in each single image frame. The input
        panoramic images, video or rendered scenes are used to create spherical
        environment maps that are packaged into completely immersive (giving the
        impression of being there) virtual tours that are rendered on a display device
        by a viewing engine that corrects perspective distortions in the spherical
        environment maps contained in the virtual tour packages and permits a plurality
        of viewers to view any portion of any of the panoramic scenes in the virtual
        tour package in a manner that is free from distortions. The present invention
        also discloses a control engine for representing the individual panoramic scenes
        contained in the virtual tour package in multi-dimensional space and/or time and
        for transmitting control signals to the viewing engine that cause the viewing
        engine to render any particular panoramic scene selected by the viewer and any
        view window on the selected panoramic scene desired by the viewer. Furthermore,
        the control engine communicates bi-directionally with the viewing engine and
        provides a means of indicating which particular panoramic scene is currently
        viewed by the viewing engine as well as a means of indicating what portion of
        the selected panoramic scene is currently displayed by the viewing engine.
        "

        I'd like to point out that my stupid Java viewer (MSJV) displays a selectable
        portion of a 360 degree by 180 degree image seamlessly WITHOUT using a
        polynomial-based algorithm.

        Enjoy your patent...

        imatronics wrote:

        > We are pleased to inform you that the United States Patent And Trademark
        > Office (USPTO) has granted Imatronics Founder -- Dr. Frank Edughom Ekpar
        > -- patent rights to a broad range of imaging systems, devices and
        > methods.
        >
        > This patent grant is recorded in United States Patent Number 7567274
        > issued on July 28, 2009.
        >
        > You can access the full text of the patent on the USPTO web site:
        >

        > http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274
        > <http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274>
        >

        > This invention introduces systems, devices and methods aimed at
        > simplifying
        > the creation and management of high-impact virtual tours as well as
        > novel
        > general-purpose imaging, multimedia and information processing systems.
        >
        > Our founder has made and continues to make well recognized contributions
        > to the scientific community and to the advancement of humanity.
        >
        > This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
        > commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
        > research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
        > virtual tours.
        >
        > Imatronics Software -- including Panorama Express, Interactive Video,
        > Cute Album, OmniViewer, Media Express, etc -- is based on the only
        > authentic and comprehensively patented virtual tour system. By using
        > Imatronics Software to create and manage your virtual tours, you
        > leverage the results of over 15 years of cutting-edge scientific
        > research and development to take your virtual tour business to greater
        > heights.
        >
        > Please visit our web site to learn more about Imatronics:
        >

        > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>
        >

        > Thank you for your attention.
        >

        > Best regards,
        > The Imatronics Team.
        >
        > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
          B.S.
          :-(

          just one more

          On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 8:08 PM, imatronics <imatronics@...> wrote:

          > We are pleased to inform you that the United States Patent And Trademark
          > Office (USPTO) has granted Imatronics Founder -- Dr. Frank Edughom Ekpar
          > -- patent rights to a broad range of imaging systems, devices and
          > methods.
          >
          > This patent grant is recorded in United States Patent Number 7567274
          > issued on July 28, 2009.
          >
          > You can access the full text of the patent on the USPTO web site:
          >

          > http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274
          > <http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274>
          >

          > This invention introduces systems, devices and methods aimed at
          > simplifying
          > the creation and management of high-impact virtual tours as well as
          > novel
          > general-purpose imaging, multimedia and information processing systems.
          >
          > Our founder has made and continues to make well recognized contributions
          > to the scientific community and to the advancement of humanity.
          >
          > This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
          > commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
          > research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
          > virtual tours.
          >
          > Imatronics Software -- including Panorama Express, Interactive Video,
          > Cute Album, OmniViewer, Media Express, etc -- is based on the only
          > authentic and comprehensively patented virtual tour system. By using
          > Imatronics Software to create and manage your virtual tours, you
          > leverage the results of over 15 years of cutting-edge scientific
          > research and development to take your virtual tour business to greater
          > heights.
          >
          > Please visit our web site to learn more about Imatronics:
          >

          > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>
          >

          > Thank you for your attention.
          >

          > Best regards,
          > The Imatronics Team.
          >
          > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
            After a quick review of you patent -- it seems that you have
            patented *EVERYTHING*. Come on, leave a little for us....

            imatronics wrote:

            > We are pleased to inform you that the United States Patent And Trademark
            > Office (USPTO) has granted Imatronics Founder -- Dr. Frank Edughom Ekpar
            > -- patent rights to a broad range of imaging systems, devices and
            > methods.
            >
            > This patent grant is recorded in United States Patent Number 7567274
            > issued on July 28, 2009.
            >
            > You can access the full text of the patent on the USPTO web site:
            >

            > http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274
            > <http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274>
            >

            > This invention introduces systems, devices and methods aimed at
            > simplifying
            > the creation and management of high-impact virtual tours as well as
            > novel
            > general-purpose imaging, multimedia and information processing systems.
            >
            > Our founder has made and continues to make well recognized contributions
            > to the scientific community and to the advancement of humanity.
            >
            > This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
            > commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
            > research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
            > virtual tours.
            >
            > Imatronics Software -- including Panorama Express, Interactive Video,
            > Cute Album, OmniViewer, Media Express, etc -- is based on the only
            > authentic and comprehensively patented virtual tour system. By using
            > Imatronics Software to create and manage your virtual tours, you
            > leverage the results of over 15 years of cutting-edge scientific
            > research and development to take your virtual tour business to greater
            > heights.
            >
            > Please visit our web site to learn more about Imatronics:
            >

            > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>
            >

            > Thank you for your attention.
            >

            > Best regards,
            > The Imatronics Team.
            >
            > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

          • Eduardo Hutter
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
              Obviously concerned about this new patent for the well know reasons, I
              was reading the patent grant and while I'm not an expert -not even close
              to it- it seems to me that this is not something to worry about. As far
              as I could understand from all the "legalese" this a claim over a
              specific method and "apparatus" commercialized by Immatronics, and not a
              generic patent.

              * imatronics wrote, On 01/08/2009 8:08 PM:

              > (...) This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's
              > abiding commitment to the improvement of the human condition (...)

              Sheesh, get over yourself, this is just a patent grant not a Nobel
              Prize. At most this is a recognition of you skills. The day you just
              give it away to the public for free, than we'll see.

              cheers,

              Eduardo
            • Eduardo Hutter
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
                > ... of you skills. The day you just give it away to the public for
                > free, than we'll ...

                err. should read your, not you and then, not than... of course. I have
                to do something for the improvement of my English. ;)

              • Daniel Reetz
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
                  > err. should read your, not you and then, not than... of course. I have
                  > to do something for the improvement of my English. ;)

                  Fortunately your English is vastly more comprehensible than the
                  majority of this patent.
                • Scott Witte
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2009
                    This is indeed an extraordinary and ground breaking invention. To quote
                    from the patent:

                    > The entire 360-degree lateral field of view around the user is
                    > captured in a single image *flame*. .... A single image *flame* covers
                    > the entire 360-degree lateral field of view.
                    The ability to encode static data such as an image or frame of a video
                    into the dynamic, largely random and ephemeral medium of a flame has
                    consequences and application far beyond VR imaging. I am in awe.

                    But seriously, the basis of this patent seems to rest on using a "one
                    shot" lens or
                    > (panoramic annular lens systems) characterized by a 360-degree lateral
                    > field of view and a vertical field of view that is usually less than
                    > 180 degrees and *producing a donut-shaped panoramic annular image as
                    > output* in the creation of spherical environment maps.
                    I thought I saw one shot solutions exactly like this in use and for sale
                    back in 2000, for sure by October 2002. If so, I'm not sure how a patent
                    application filed afterward could be successful. If someone from
                    Imatronics would care to clarify I think we all would be interested.

                    I will leave it to others to decipher the algorithm and interface
                    aspects of the patent. But on brief inspection it generally seems to be
                    patenting capabilities and methods, some of which have existed since the
                    first introduction of QTVR. If so, I fail to see how the patent could be
                    upheld. I'm probably missing something.

                    --
                    Scott Witte
                    ---------------------------------

                  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
                      Quoting Scott Witte <scottwitte@...>:

                      > This is indeed an extraordinary and ground breaking invention. To quote
                      > from the patent:
                      >
                      > > The entire 360-degree lateral field of view around the user is
                      > > captured in a single image *flame*. .... A single image *flame* covers
                      > > the entire 360-degree lateral field of view.
                      > The ability to encode static data such as an image or frame of a video
                      > into the dynamic, largely random and ephemeral medium of a flame has
                      > consequences and application far beyond VR imaging. I am in awe.

                      This patent application seems to have been assembled using the communication
                      tool known as the english language. Perhaps we should patent it and put a stop
                      to these sort of abuses ?
                      mick

                    • ahoeben41
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
                        Wim Koorneef asked me to give my 2 cents worth regarding the Ekpar patent. I think he asked me because I have written a panorama viewer, and panorama viewers are mentioned in the patent. There's a dutch patent which has my name on it as the inventor, so I know a bit of dutch patent law, but even less about international law. I am *not a lawyer*, so *don't take this message as more than two cents*.

                        First a small bit about the anatomy of a patent text. When you want to know what is patented, skip the "Abstract" section, and go straight to the "Claims". The Abstract is just a summary, and not always very accurate, in the sense that a lawyer/judge will not grant any rights/make decissions based on what is or is not mentioned in the Abstract. Similarly, all the text after the "Claims" section only serves to clarify the invention, but not everything mentioned in the description is automatically covered by the patent if it is not mentioned in the "Claims".

                        Then there's the "newness" of the invention. It is a mistake to think that an invention has to be new in order to get a patent on it. In many countries, you can get a patent for just about anything. The question is if it will hold up in court if the invention is not new (ie: there exists "prior art"). Even if the patented invention is not new, if "they" have better lawyers then "we", or "we" can't even afford a lawyer, then the patent will hold ground. Also, the combination of several non-new elements into a "novel" system may be considered new enough to hold its own in court. So even seemingly "unpatentable" patents can cause grieve, but only once the patent-holder starts enforcing it.

                        Finally the patent itself. Looking at the claims, nrs 1 and 23 are the big ones; the others fall back to them. If these two turn out to be undefendable, the rest falls with them. If you split claim 1 at the semicolons, you get:
                        An apparatus (...) comprising:
                        a panorama data acquisition unit (...)
                        a transform engine (...) implementing means of correcting distortions
                        a package generator adapted to generate virtual tour packages
                        a viewing engine (...) implementing means for perspective correction, and user interaction
                        a control engine adapted to facilitate a higher level of interaction
                        a display means for rendering output
                        Notice there's no "or" here, so the list seems to be inclusive. It seems that what they are actually patenting is the combination of all these aspects. As long as you are not producing an "apparatus" that does all of this, I don't think you're breaching the patent (but this is just my limited understanding).

                        (note: I don't really get what they means by "stimuli" in the text... but they seem to like the word)

                        The patent claims are very broad. But what they are focussing on in the descriptive text after the claims is quite a bit more specific. From that text it looks like they have developed an optic which makes "donut-type" images (which explains the "usually less than 180 degrees" vertical), and a recursive automated way of calibrating the system. The images that go with the patent text are rather clarifying.

                        If that is what they are seeking to protect, I don't see much of a problem for us going forward. It is entirely possible that mr Ekpar just meant to patent his lens and calibration method, but his patent advisor advised him to keep the claims broader just to include the rest of his work. Note that this is pure speculation on my behalf!

                        At this point, I don't think it is necessary for me to consult a lawyer, but if you are worried I encourage you to do so, rather than get more (or less) worried from "things you read on the forums" (like this post).

                        'do
                      • Wim Koornneef
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
                          Hello Aldo,

                          Thanks for sharing your analyses of the situation and your thoughts about
                          the patent.
                          They are definitely worth more then just 2 cents !

                          Best,
                          Wim