United States Patent And Trademark Office Grants Imatronics Founder

  • imatronics
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
      We are pleased to inform you that the United States Patent And Trademark
      Office (USPTO) has granted Imatronics Founder -- Dr. Frank Edughom Ekpar
      -- patent rights to a broad range of imaging systems, devices and
      methods.

      This patent grant is recorded in United States Patent Number 7567274
      issued on July 28, 2009.

      You can access the full text of the patent on the USPTO web site:

      http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274
      <http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274>

      This invention introduces systems, devices and methods aimed at
      simplifying
      the creation and management of high-impact virtual tours as well as
      novel
      general-purpose imaging, multimedia and information processing systems.

      Our founder has made and continues to make well recognized contributions
      to the scientific community and to the advancement of humanity.

      This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
      commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
      research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
      virtual tours.

      Imatronics Software -- including Panorama Express, Interactive Video,
      Cute Album, OmniViewer, Media Express, etc -- is based on the only
      authentic and comprehensively patented virtual tour system. By using
      Imatronics Software to create and manage your virtual tours, you
      leverage the results of over 15 years of cutting-edge scientific
      research and development to take your virtual tour business to greater
      heights.

      Please visit our web site to learn more about Imatronics:

      http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

      Thank you for your attention.

      Best regards,
      The Imatronics Team.

      http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

    • Daniel Reetz
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
        > This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
        > commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
        > research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
        > virtual tours.

        I fail to see how deliberately creating more overly-broad patents on
        panoramic technology "improves the human condition".

        Daniel Reetz
      • Paulo Fernandes
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
          Thanks for the info,

          but could you please clarify what exactly is patented?
          I don't fully understand what is said in the link you provided, too much
          legal talk for me ;)

          For instance, from what I read it says that Imatronics now has the
          patent for any device that produces panoramic video and video transitions
          between panoramas?

          Is this right? If so am I the only one that smells iPix...

          or is it only the algorithm that converts and projects
          the video onto a sphere?

          Don't get me wrong it's a nice work and it should be protected, it's just
          that
          I'm a bit afraid of this patent thingies

          On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:08 AM, imatronics <imatronics@...> wrote:

          > We are pleased to inform you that the United States Patent And Trademark
          > Office (USPTO) has granted Imatronics Founder -- Dr. Frank Edughom Ekpar
          > -- patent rights to a broad range of imaging systems, devices and
          > methods.
          >
          > This patent grant is recorded in United States Patent Number 7567274
          > issued on July 28, 2009.
          >
          > You can access the full text of the patent on the USPTO web site:
          >
          > http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274
          > <http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274>
          >
          > This invention introduces systems, devices and methods aimed at
          > simplifying
          > the creation and management of high-impact virtual tours as well as
          > novel
          > general-purpose imaging, multimedia and information processing systems.
          >
          > Our founder has made and continues to make well recognized contributions
          > to the scientific community and to the advancement of humanity.
          >
          > This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
          > commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
          > research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
          > virtual tours.
          >
          > Imatronics Software -- including Panorama Express, Interactive Video,
          > Cute Album, OmniViewer, Media Express, etc -- is based on the only
          > authentic and comprehensively patented virtual tour system. By using
          > Imatronics Software to create and manage your virtual tours, you
          > leverage the results of over 15 years of cutting-edge scientific
          > research and development to take your virtual tour business to greater
          > heights.
          >
          > Please visit our web site to learn more about Imatronics:
          >
          > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>
          >
          > Thank you for your attention.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > The Imatronics Team.
          >
          > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

          Com os melhores cumprimentos,

          Paulo Fernandes
          Multimedia

          ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
          Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
          Calçada do Lidador, 1ºAndar
          4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
          Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
          :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
            In other words, you made a spherical panorama viewer.

            " The present invention discloses a method and apparatus for creating
            interactive virtual tours. In one embodiment, panoramic imaging systems
            characterized by a 360-degree lateral field of view and a vertical field of view
            that is usually less than 180 degrees are utilized and polynomial-based
            interpolation algorithms are used to correct distortions in the input panoramic
            images, video or rendered scenes, permitting the use of an arbitrary panoramic
            imaging system characterized by the ability to generate a seamless 360-degree
            panoramic view of the imaged scene in each single image frame. The input
            panoramic images, video or rendered scenes are used to create spherical
            environment maps that are packaged into completely immersive (giving the
            impression of being there) virtual tours that are rendered on a display device
            by a viewing engine that corrects perspective distortions in the spherical
            environment maps contained in the virtual tour packages and permits a plurality
            of viewers to view any portion of any of the panoramic scenes in the virtual
            tour package in a manner that is free from distortions. The present invention
            also discloses a control engine for representing the individual panoramic scenes
            contained in the virtual tour package in multi-dimensional space and/or time and
            for transmitting control signals to the viewing engine that cause the viewing
            engine to render any particular panoramic scene selected by the viewer and any
            view window on the selected panoramic scene desired by the viewer. Furthermore,
            the control engine communicates bi-directionally with the viewing engine and
            provides a means of indicating which particular panoramic scene is currently
            viewed by the viewing engine as well as a means of indicating what portion of
            the selected panoramic scene is currently displayed by the viewing engine.
            "

            I'd like to point out that my stupid Java viewer (MSJV) displays a selectable
            portion of a 360 degree by 180 degree image seamlessly WITHOUT using a
            polynomial-based algorithm.

            Enjoy your patent...

            imatronics wrote:

            > We are pleased to inform you that the United States Patent And Trademark
            > Office (USPTO) has granted Imatronics Founder -- Dr. Frank Edughom Ekpar
            > -- patent rights to a broad range of imaging systems, devices and
            > methods.
            >
            > This patent grant is recorded in United States Patent Number 7567274
            > issued on July 28, 2009.
            >
            > You can access the full text of the patent on the USPTO web site:
            >

            > http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274
            > <http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274>
            >

            > This invention introduces systems, devices and methods aimed at
            > simplifying
            > the creation and management of high-impact virtual tours as well as
            > novel
            > general-purpose imaging, multimedia and information processing systems.
            >
            > Our founder has made and continues to make well recognized contributions
            > to the scientific community and to the advancement of humanity.
            >
            > This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
            > commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
            > research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
            > virtual tours.
            >
            > Imatronics Software -- including Panorama Express, Interactive Video,
            > Cute Album, OmniViewer, Media Express, etc -- is based on the only
            > authentic and comprehensively patented virtual tour system. By using
            > Imatronics Software to create and manage your virtual tours, you
            > leverage the results of over 15 years of cutting-edge scientific
            > research and development to take your virtual tour business to greater
            > heights.
            >
            > Please visit our web site to learn more about Imatronics:
            >

            > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>
            >

            > Thank you for your attention.
            >

            > Best regards,
            > The Imatronics Team.
            >
            > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
              B.S.
              :-(

              just one more

              On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 8:08 PM, imatronics <imatronics@...> wrote:

              > We are pleased to inform you that the United States Patent And Trademark
              > Office (USPTO) has granted Imatronics Founder -- Dr. Frank Edughom Ekpar
              > -- patent rights to a broad range of imaging systems, devices and
              > methods.
              >
              > This patent grant is recorded in United States Patent Number 7567274
              > issued on July 28, 2009.
              >
              > You can access the full text of the patent on the USPTO web site:
              >

              > http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274
              > <http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274>
              >

              > This invention introduces systems, devices and methods aimed at
              > simplifying
              > the creation and management of high-impact virtual tours as well as
              > novel
              > general-purpose imaging, multimedia and information processing systems.
              >
              > Our founder has made and continues to make well recognized contributions
              > to the scientific community and to the advancement of humanity.
              >
              > This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
              > commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
              > research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
              > virtual tours.
              >
              > Imatronics Software -- including Panorama Express, Interactive Video,
              > Cute Album, OmniViewer, Media Express, etc -- is based on the only
              > authentic and comprehensively patented virtual tour system. By using
              > Imatronics Software to create and manage your virtual tours, you
              > leverage the results of over 15 years of cutting-edge scientific
              > research and development to take your virtual tour business to greater
              > heights.
              >
              > Please visit our web site to learn more about Imatronics:
              >

              > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>
              >

              > Thank you for your attention.
              >

              > Best regards,
              > The Imatronics Team.
              >
              > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

              ------------
              | A Y R |
              | T O N |
            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
                After a quick review of you patent -- it seems that you have
                patented *EVERYTHING*. Come on, leave a little for us....

                imatronics wrote:

                > We are pleased to inform you that the United States Patent And Trademark
                > Office (USPTO) has granted Imatronics Founder -- Dr. Frank Edughom Ekpar
                > -- patent rights to a broad range of imaging systems, devices and
                > methods.
                >
                > This patent grant is recorded in United States Patent Number 7567274
                > issued on July 28, 2009.
                >
                > You can access the full text of the patent on the USPTO web site:
                >

                > http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274
                > <http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7567274>
                >

                > This invention introduces systems, devices and methods aimed at
                > simplifying
                > the creation and management of high-impact virtual tours as well as
                > novel
                > general-purpose imaging, multimedia and information processing systems.
                >
                > Our founder has made and continues to make well recognized contributions
                > to the scientific community and to the advancement of humanity.
                >
                > This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's abiding
                > commitment to the improvement of the human condition through scientific
                > research and development and to empowering you to create the best-valued
                > virtual tours.
                >
                > Imatronics Software -- including Panorama Express, Interactive Video,
                > Cute Album, OmniViewer, Media Express, etc -- is based on the only
                > authentic and comprehensively patented virtual tour system. By using
                > Imatronics Software to create and manage your virtual tours, you
                > leverage the results of over 15 years of cutting-edge scientific
                > research and development to take your virtual tour business to greater
                > heights.
                >
                > Please visit our web site to learn more about Imatronics:
                >

                > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>
                >

                > Thank you for your attention.
                >

                > Best regards,
                > The Imatronics Team.
                >
                > http://www.imatronics.com <http://www.imatronics.com>

              • Eduardo Hutter
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
                  Obviously concerned about this new patent for the well know reasons, I
                  was reading the patent grant and while I'm not an expert -not even close
                  to it- it seems to me that this is not something to worry about. As far
                  as I could understand from all the "legalese" this a claim over a
                  specific method and "apparatus" commercialized by Immatronics, and not a
                  generic patent.

                  * imatronics wrote, On 01/08/2009 8:08 PM:

                  > (...) This patent grant is further recognition of our founder's
                  > abiding commitment to the improvement of the human condition (...)

                  Sheesh, get over yourself, this is just a patent grant not a Nobel
                  Prize. At most this is a recognition of you skills. The day you just
                  give it away to the public for free, than we'll see.

                  cheers,

                  Eduardo
                • Eduardo Hutter
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
                    > ... of you skills. The day you just give it away to the public for
                    > free, than we'll ...

                    err. should read your, not you and then, not than... of course. I have
                    to do something for the improvement of my English. ;)

                  • Daniel Reetz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
                      > err. should read your, not you and then, not than... of course. I have
                      > to do something for the improvement of my English. ;)

                      Fortunately your English is vastly more comprehensible than the
                      majority of this patent.
                    • Scott Witte
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2, 2009
                        This is indeed an extraordinary and ground breaking invention. To quote
                        from the patent:

                        > The entire 360-degree lateral field of view around the user is
                        > captured in a single image *flame*. .... A single image *flame* covers
                        > the entire 360-degree lateral field of view.
                        The ability to encode static data such as an image or frame of a video
                        into the dynamic, largely random and ephemeral medium of a flame has
                        consequences and application far beyond VR imaging. I am in awe.

                        But seriously, the basis of this patent seems to rest on using a "one
                        shot" lens or
                        > (panoramic annular lens systems) characterized by a 360-degree lateral
                        > field of view and a vertical field of view that is usually less than
                        > 180 degrees and *producing a donut-shaped panoramic annular image as
                        > output* in the creation of spherical environment maps.
                        I thought I saw one shot solutions exactly like this in use and for sale
                        back in 2000, for sure by October 2002. If so, I'm not sure how a patent
                        application filed afterward could be successful. If someone from
                        Imatronics would care to clarify I think we all would be interested.

                        I will leave it to others to decipher the algorithm and interface
                        aspects of the patent. But on brief inspection it generally seems to be
                        patenting capabilities and methods, some of which have existed since the
                        first introduction of QTVR. If so, I fail to see how the patent could be
                        upheld. I'm probably missing something.

                        --
                        Scott Witte
                        ---------------------------------

                      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
                          Quoting Scott Witte <scottwitte@...>:

                          > This is indeed an extraordinary and ground breaking invention. To quote
                          > from the patent:
                          >
                          > > The entire 360-degree lateral field of view around the user is
                          > > captured in a single image *flame*. .... A single image *flame* covers
                          > > the entire 360-degree lateral field of view.
                          > The ability to encode static data such as an image or frame of a video
                          > into the dynamic, largely random and ephemeral medium of a flame has
                          > consequences and application far beyond VR imaging. I am in awe.

                          This patent application seems to have been assembled using the communication
                          tool known as the english language. Perhaps we should patent it and put a stop
                          to these sort of abuses ?
                          mick

                        • ahoeben41
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
                            Wim Koorneef asked me to give my 2 cents worth regarding the Ekpar patent. I think he asked me because I have written a panorama viewer, and panorama viewers are mentioned in the patent. There's a dutch patent which has my name on it as the inventor, so I know a bit of dutch patent law, but even less about international law. I am *not a lawyer*, so *don't take this message as more than two cents*.

                            First a small bit about the anatomy of a patent text. When you want to know what is patented, skip the "Abstract" section, and go straight to the "Claims". The Abstract is just a summary, and not always very accurate, in the sense that a lawyer/judge will not grant any rights/make decissions based on what is or is not mentioned in the Abstract. Similarly, all the text after the "Claims" section only serves to clarify the invention, but not everything mentioned in the description is automatically covered by the patent if it is not mentioned in the "Claims".

                            Then there's the "newness" of the invention. It is a mistake to think that an invention has to be new in order to get a patent on it. In many countries, you can get a patent for just about anything. The question is if it will hold up in court if the invention is not new (ie: there exists "prior art"). Even if the patented invention is not new, if "they" have better lawyers then "we", or "we" can't even afford a lawyer, then the patent will hold ground. Also, the combination of several non-new elements into a "novel" system may be considered new enough to hold its own in court. So even seemingly "unpatentable" patents can cause grieve, but only once the patent-holder starts enforcing it.

                            Finally the patent itself. Looking at the claims, nrs 1 and 23 are the big ones; the others fall back to them. If these two turn out to be undefendable, the rest falls with them. If you split claim 1 at the semicolons, you get:
                            An apparatus (...) comprising:
                            a panorama data acquisition unit (...)
                            a transform engine (...) implementing means of correcting distortions
                            a package generator adapted to generate virtual tour packages
                            a viewing engine (...) implementing means for perspective correction, and user interaction
                            a control engine adapted to facilitate a higher level of interaction
                            a display means for rendering output
                            Notice there's no "or" here, so the list seems to be inclusive. It seems that what they are actually patenting is the combination of all these aspects. As long as you are not producing an "apparatus" that does all of this, I don't think you're breaching the patent (but this is just my limited understanding).

                            (note: I don't really get what they means by "stimuli" in the text... but they seem to like the word)

                            The patent claims are very broad. But what they are focussing on in the descriptive text after the claims is quite a bit more specific. From that text it looks like they have developed an optic which makes "donut-type" images (which explains the "usually less than 180 degrees" vertical), and a recursive automated way of calibrating the system. The images that go with the patent text are rather clarifying.

                            If that is what they are seeking to protect, I don't see much of a problem for us going forward. It is entirely possible that mr Ekpar just meant to patent his lens and calibration method, but his patent advisor advised him to keep the claims broader just to include the rest of his work. Note that this is pure speculation on my behalf!

                            At this point, I don't think it is necessary for me to consult a lawyer, but if you are worried I encourage you to do so, rather than get more (or less) worried from "things you read on the forums" (like this post).

                            'do
                          • Wim Koornneef
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
                              Hello Aldo,

                              Thanks for sharing your analyses of the situation and your thoughts about
                              the patent.
                              They are definitely worth more then just 2 cents !

                              Best,
                              Wim