Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: 3D models and 360's

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31 11:53 AM
      2009/7/31 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>

      > The 3D model does not look like any of your panos, as far as I can see. The
      > floor,
      > ceiling, doors, carpets, furniture etc are all different from yours.
      > Actually I can't find any details in the 3D model grabbed from your pano.
      > It's possibly
      > grabbed from somewhere else though ;)
      > Nice panos BTW.
      > And nicely made 3D model as well...

      I agree with all Bjørn's observations as well !

      AYRTON
      ------------
      | A Y R |
      | T O N |
    • robert_harshman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31 12:17 PM
        > > what do you think?
        >
        > The 3D model does not look like any of your panos, as far as I can see. The floor,
        > ceiling, doors, carpets, furniture etc are all different from yours.
        > Actually I can't find any details in the 3D model grabbed from your pano. It's possibly
        > grabbed from somewhere else though ;)
        > Nice panos BTW.
        > And nicely made 3D model as well...

        thanks for the input, and compliment.

        And I agree with you that the details are not quite the same, but the overall room is, the windows, columns, carpet, chandeliers and even the chairs and tables bear a similar look and feel. At least by my eyes I think the 3D model was based on this room and at least should give some credit to it. The same 3D modeler has another version of this room on the site that uses windows that are definitely more explicit copies from this room. But if you and others do not see that then that's that.

        regards,

        Robert
      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31 1:04 PM
          On 31 Jul 2009, at 20:17, robert_harshman wrote:

          > And I agree with you that the details are not quite the same, but
          > the overall room is, the windows, columns, carpet, chandeliers and
          > even the chairs and tables bear a similar look and feel. At least by
          > my eyes I think the 3D model was based on this room and at least
          > should give some credit to it. The same 3D modeler has another
          > version of this room on the site that uses windows that are
          > definitely more explicit copies from this room. But if you and
          > others do not see that then that's that.

          Definitely nice panos, but I have to agree that the 3D model is not
          based on the panorama. It's not that *some* of the details are not
          wuite the same, it's that *all* the details are different.

          I'm not sure how many dealings you've had with creating 3D models from
          panoramas but I'd be very surprised if they had used your pano as the
          basis for the model. Things like the differences in the shape of the
          seat backs (and having detail on the rear of the seats), different
          carpet designs etc. would have made it *more* work for the modeller to
          start from your panorama than to start from scratch and/or their own
          reference photos.

          It's also unlikely that your pano was used as a source for textures,
          as every surface I've looked at closely is different from the actual
          room - for instance herringbone parquet in the panorama and straight
          floorboards in the model, different paintings in the panels, most of
          the flat surfaces such as wooden surfaces using stock textures etc.

          The model is clearly based on that room, but then so is the
          panorama. ;-)

          Ian
        • Bjørn K Nilssen
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
            On 31 Jul 2009 at 21:04, Ian Wood wrote:

            > On 31 Jul 2009, at 20:17, robert_harshman wrote:
            >
            > > And I agree with you that the details are not quite the same, but
            > > the overall room is, the windows, columns, carpet, chandeliers and
            > > even the chairs and tables bear a similar look and feel. At least by
            > > my eyes I think the 3D model was based on this room and at least
            > > should give some credit to it. The same 3D modeler has another
            > > version of this room on the site that uses windows that are
            > > definitely more explicit copies from this room. But if you and
            > > others do not see that then that's that.
            >
            > Definitely nice panos, but I have to agree that the 3D model is not
            > based on the panorama. It's not that *some* of the details are not
            > wuite the same, it's that *all* the details are different.
            >
            > I'm not sure how many dealings you've had with creating 3D models from
            > panoramas but I'd be very surprised if they had used your pano as the
            > basis for the model. Things like the differences in the shape of the
            > seat backs (and having detail on the rear of the seats), different
            > carpet designs etc. would have made it *more* work for the modeller to
            > start from your panorama than to start from scratch and/or their own
            > reference photos.
            >
            > It's also unlikely that your pano was used as a source for textures,
            > as every surface I've looked at closely is different from the actual
            > room - for instance herringbone parquet in the panorama and straight
            > floorboards in the model, different paintings in the panels, most of
            > the flat surfaces such as wooden surfaces using stock textures etc.
            >
            > The model is clearly based on that room, but then so is the
            > panorama. ;-)

            And/or that room in Chicago (as well as the 3D model) is most likely based on one or more
            different, similar rooms in Europe ;)