Re: 3D models and 360's

  • robert_harshman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert_harshman" <image360@...> wrote:

      > And before I post any images of it and the 360 I want to hear what the company that's selling it says.

      Well, after a week no real response, just a " the person whom responsible for this will look into it" type response. And, perhaps it's just not a copy, I'm not sure, what do you think?

      Here's the 360, shot and posted many years ago - it's the one displayed by default:

      http://www.robertharshman.com/360vr/vr-7.html

      And here's a link to the still images of the 3D model.

      http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/baroque-grandeur?item=9440&_m=d&trid=280981508

      tiny url version

      http://tinyurl.com/nn8xcj

      Regards,

      Robert
    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
        On 31 Jul 2009 at 18:12, robert_harshman wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert_harshman" <image360@...> wrote:
        >
        > > And before I post any images of it and the 360 I want to hear what the company that's selling it says.
        > >

        > Well, after a week no real response, just a " the person whom responsible for this
        > will look into it" type response. And, perhaps it's just not a copy, I'm not sure,
        > what do you think?

        The 3D model does not look like any of your panos, as far as I can see. The floor,
        ceiling, doors, carpets, furniture etc are all different from yours.
        Actually I can't find any details in the 3D model grabbed from your pano. It's possibly
        grabbed from somewhere else though ;)
        Nice panos BTW.
        And nicely made 3D model as well...

        > Here's the 360, shot and posted many years ago - it's the one displayed by default:
        >
        > http://www.robertharshman.com/360vr/vr-7.html
        >
        > And here's a link to the still images of the 3D model.
        >
        > http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/baroque-grandeur?item=9440&_m=d&trid=280981508
        >
        > tiny url version
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/nn8xcj

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
          2009/7/31 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>

          > The 3D model does not look like any of your panos, as far as I can see. The
          > floor,
          > ceiling, doors, carpets, furniture etc are all different from yours.
          > Actually I can't find any details in the 3D model grabbed from your pano.
          > It's possibly
          > grabbed from somewhere else though ;)
          > Nice panos BTW.
          > And nicely made 3D model as well...

          I agree with all Bjørn's observations as well !

          AYRTON
          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
        • robert_harshman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
            > > what do you think?
            >
            > The 3D model does not look like any of your panos, as far as I can see. The floor,
            > ceiling, doors, carpets, furniture etc are all different from yours.
            > Actually I can't find any details in the 3D model grabbed from your pano. It's possibly
            > grabbed from somewhere else though ;)
            > Nice panos BTW.
            > And nicely made 3D model as well...

            thanks for the input, and compliment.

            And I agree with you that the details are not quite the same, but the overall room is, the windows, columns, carpet, chandeliers and even the chairs and tables bear a similar look and feel. At least by my eyes I think the 3D model was based on this room and at least should give some credit to it. The same 3D modeler has another version of this room on the site that uses windows that are definitely more explicit copies from this room. But if you and others do not see that then that's that.

            regards,

            Robert
          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
              On 31 Jul 2009, at 20:17, robert_harshman wrote:

              > And I agree with you that the details are not quite the same, but
              > the overall room is, the windows, columns, carpet, chandeliers and
              > even the chairs and tables bear a similar look and feel. At least by
              > my eyes I think the 3D model was based on this room and at least
              > should give some credit to it. The same 3D modeler has another
              > version of this room on the site that uses windows that are
              > definitely more explicit copies from this room. But if you and
              > others do not see that then that's that.

              Definitely nice panos, but I have to agree that the 3D model is not
              based on the panorama. It's not that *some* of the details are not
              wuite the same, it's that *all* the details are different.

              I'm not sure how many dealings you've had with creating 3D models from
              panoramas but I'd be very surprised if they had used your pano as the
              basis for the model. Things like the differences in the shape of the
              seat backs (and having detail on the rear of the seats), different
              carpet designs etc. would have made it *more* work for the modeller to
              start from your panorama than to start from scratch and/or their own
              reference photos.

              It's also unlikely that your pano was used as a source for textures,
              as every surface I've looked at closely is different from the actual
              room - for instance herringbone parquet in the panorama and straight
              floorboards in the model, different paintings in the panels, most of
              the flat surfaces such as wooden surfaces using stock textures etc.

              The model is clearly based on that room, but then so is the
              panorama. ;-)

              Ian
            • Bjørn K Nilssen
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
                On 31 Jul 2009 at 21:04, Ian Wood wrote:

                > On 31 Jul 2009, at 20:17, robert_harshman wrote:
                >
                > > And I agree with you that the details are not quite the same, but
                > > the overall room is, the windows, columns, carpet, chandeliers and
                > > even the chairs and tables bear a similar look and feel. At least by
                > > my eyes I think the 3D model was based on this room and at least
                > > should give some credit to it. The same 3D modeler has another
                > > version of this room on the site that uses windows that are
                > > definitely more explicit copies from this room. But if you and
                > > others do not see that then that's that.
                >
                > Definitely nice panos, but I have to agree that the 3D model is not
                > based on the panorama. It's not that *some* of the details are not
                > wuite the same, it's that *all* the details are different.
                >
                > I'm not sure how many dealings you've had with creating 3D models from
                > panoramas but I'd be very surprised if they had used your pano as the
                > basis for the model. Things like the differences in the shape of the
                > seat backs (and having detail on the rear of the seats), different
                > carpet designs etc. would have made it *more* work for the modeller to
                > start from your panorama than to start from scratch and/or their own
                > reference photos.
                >
                > It's also unlikely that your pano was used as a source for textures,
                > as every surface I've looked at closely is different from the actual
                > room - for instance herringbone parquet in the panorama and straight
                > floorboards in the model, different paintings in the panels, most of
                > the flat surfaces such as wooden surfaces using stock textures etc.
                >
                > The model is clearly based on that room, but then so is the
                > panorama. ;-)

                And/or that room in Chicago (as well as the 3D model) is most likely based on one or more
                different, similar rooms in Europe ;)