Re: [PanoToolsNG] 1st post - align 2 photos (not pano) a century apart?

  • shinpickle@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
      Well as an update, I have tried every config I could think of in huggin,
      panini, & ps, but i've had no real success.

      holy smokes Perspective Control lens are expensive, probably from all these
      fadsters trying to take miniature looking photos.

      On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

      > On Fri 13-Mar-2009 at 23:36 -0000, Jeff wrote:
      > >here's a sample of what i've got, school on Russell Ave in 1940:
      > >
      > http://lh3.ggpht.com/_g9AmCZUoW08/Sbrj48yl6tI/AAAAAAAAJz8/AfdHIEjCa90/s800/school%20-%202156%20russell.jpg
      > >and last weekend:
      > >
      > http://lh3.ggpht.com/_g9AmCZUoW08/Sbrj5tYa4uI/AAAAAAAAJ0E/nSEROmpJi0Q/s800/DSC_0009.jpg
      >
      > The old photo is taken with a shift lens, to align this with the new
      > photo you need to optimise the vertical shift 'e' parameters.
      >
      > General advice with lining up old photos is they are almost always
      > cropped, i.e. the optical centre isn't in the middle of the image.
      > So it is probably a good idea to optimise the horizontal shift 'd'
      > parameter too.
      >
      > >- imported both photos (rectilinear), and matched the exif data from the
      > new photo, for the old photo also, since I can't know anything about that
      > old photo
      > >- I assign the old photo as the position anchor
      > >- I start manually picking some control points that match in both photos,
      > end up with maybe 15
      > >- optimize for y,p,r,b
      > >- and stitch exporting the 'remapped images' only
      >
      > This technique should be fine.
      >
      > --
      > Bruno

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
        Sometime around 31/7/09 (at 11:28 -0500) shinpickle@... said:

        >holy smokes Perspective Control lens are expensive, probably from all these
        >fadsters trying to take miniature looking photos.

        They've *always* been expensive, sadly. Niche products, high-end market.
        Ah well...