Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: ANOTHER ripoff of 360cities

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30 3:03 PM
      So ???

      360cities did not invent the content embed feature. It's been around
      for years as have all the ideas on both sites. Also both designs look
      like generic CMS templates whether or not they are I have no idea.

      Matt

      On 30 Jul 2009, at 22:42, dorindxn wrote:

      > http://www.360indiaguide.com/embed_panoramas
      > http://www.360cities.net/embed_panoramas_anywhere_with_360cities
      >
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > ...and they use the terrible "room turning" method for the VR
      > control
      > >
      > > Willy Kaemena
      > >

      > > On Jul 30, 2009, at 20:47, Hans Nyberg wrote:
      > >
      > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin |
      > 360Cities.net"

      > this
      > > > site? I

      > this?
      > > > >

      > > > What's wrong?
      > > >
      > > > I can not see anything that belongs to 360cities.
      > > > I did a search at 360cities for 4 panoramas from them but nothing
      > > > turned up.
      > > >
      > > > The only thing in design that reminds of 360cities is the text
      > > > "panorama by xxx" in the upper right corner.
      > > >
      > > > But really, besides that there is no likeness.
      > > >
      > > > Hans

    • Jan Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30 3:19 PM
        There are hundreds of sites around the globe that copy e.g. Twitter,
        Facebook, Myspace.
        They can't do anything about it.

        So can't you.

        Btw. I wish you all the luck.

        Jan

        On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Matthew Rogers
        <matthew@...>wrote:

        > So ???
        >
        > 360cities did not invent the content embed feature. It's been around
        > for years as have all the ideas on both sites. Also both designs look
        > like generic CMS templates whether or not they are I have no idea.
        >
        > Matt
        >
        > On 30 Jul 2009, at 22:42, dorindxn wrote:
        >
        > > http://www.360indiaguide.com/embed_panoramas
        > > http://www.360cities.net/embed_panoramas_anywhere_with_360cities
        > >
        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > ...and they use the terrible "room turning" method for the VR
        > > control
        > > >
        > > > Willy Kaemena

        > > 360Cities.net"

        > > this

        > > this?

      • Bill Bailey
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30 5:17 PM
          Hi Jeffrey,
          Thought I would chime in as well, unfortunately I have to also side with the
          general consensus.
          I had our lawyers take a quick peek today and they too said there is little
          you can really do unless they are infringing on actual copyright
          (text/images) or trademark issues. It's next to impossible to do an
          international copyright on themes or layout of a website. Generally it's the
          "content" that is protected (text, images, logos, custom icons, custom nav
          bars etc.) And you should actually log ALL content files used in your
          website with the appropriate authorities prior to any litigation.
          I can understanding your frustration knowing you have put a lot of time and
          money into your website - it's your baby. They say imitation is the greatest
          form of flattery so maybe look at it in a positive light.

          But if you are determined you could always have an attorney draw up a good
          cease & desist letter and fire it off to India with visible cc's everywhere
          you can think of. Some folks scare easily while others would only use the
          paper for other purposes.
          Fighting this stuff in courts can easily reach $25k+ without promise of win.
          So IMHO keep the cash in your pocket looking on the positive side and enjoy
          the fruits of your labor.
          Cheers
          Bill