Client wants a heli pano 25000x12500. Brainstorm!

  • Andrey Ilyin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2009
      Two panos, actually - from 150 and 300 meters.

      I plan to shoot lower hemisphere in two, maybe three rows (depends on pilot's readyness) - it will give me 25000 pixels by width. Upper hemisphere will be shot from the grownd by 10,5 nikkor and stretched to necessary size.

      Will be appreciated for any advices which can hel me to improve the output.

      Thank you!

      Andrey
    • dalileis
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
        Can´t wait to see this when it´s done. Take care up there!
      • Thomas Krueger
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
          Here is a thread about taking pictures from heli with a Kenyon gyro:
          http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36634
          Kenyon Gyro Stabilizers: http://www.ken-lab.com/

          -----
          Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
            Andrey Ilyin wrote:

            > I plan to shoot lower hemisphere in two, maybe three rows (depends on
            > pilot's readyness) - it will give me 25000 pixels by width.

            I assume you'll shoot from a pole pointing down such that you can shoot
            from below the lowest part of the heli. In any case the pilot should
            keep the position as precise as possible, especially if you have to pull
            the camera and head up in order to adjust the next row.

            If there are no tall buildings below parallax won't be an issue though,
            not even for the row close to the nadir. If there are tall buildings you
            can use one edge as a fix.

            > Upper hemisphere will be shot from the ground by 10,5 nikkor and
            > stretched to necessary size.

            I'm sure you know that you can mix different lenses in PTGui or hugin.

            So far my ideas...

            best regards
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
              Wish I had one for my monopod...

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009

                > Wish I had one for my monopod...
                >
                > Thomas Krueger wrote:
                > > Here is a thread about taking pictures from heli with a Kenyon gyro:
                > > http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36634
                > > Kenyon Gyro Stabilizers: http://www.ken-lab.com/
                > >
                > > -----
                > > Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu

                Some guy from Luminos Lanscape forum recommends bungie cord: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2215552238_8bcc349b39_o.jpg
                :)

                Seriously - I think that the best resuls will be produced with IS lens, camera handheld.
              • Andrey Ilyin
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                  Hi Erik,

                  I'll shoot handheld, sitting on the the edge of the cabin - don't see how multitrow can be shot from the pole. Plan to instruct pilot to sircle slowly or stay steady it he master.
                  The height will be 150m +, tallest building 15 meters, so parallax won't be an issue.

                  I used to mix source images shot with different lenses, but only in marginal situation, when all images were shot with, say, 01,5 Nikkor and one image shot with normal lens. Would be appreciated if you could give advice on assembling panos from source images shot with various lenses.

                  BR,
                  Andrey

                  > Andrey Ilyin wrote:
                  >

                  > > I plan to shoot lower hemisphere in two, maybe three rows (depends on
                  > > pilot's readyness) - it will give me 25000 pixels by width.
                  >
                  > I assume you'll shoot from a pole pointing down such that you can shoot
                  > from below the lowest part of the heli. In any case the pilot should
                  > keep the position as precise as possible, especially if you have to pull
                  > the camera and head up in order to adjust the next row.
                  >
                  > If there are no tall buildings below parallax won't be an issue though,
                  > not even for the row close to the nadir. If there are tall buildings you
                  > can use one edge as a fix.
                  >
                  > > Upper hemisphere will be shot from the ground by 10,5 nikkor and
                  > > stretched to necessary size.
                  >
                  > I'm sure you know that you can mix different lenses in PTGui or hugin.
                  >
                  > So far my ideas...
                  >
                  > best regards
                  > --
                  > Erik Krause
                  > http://www.erik-krause.de

                • Andrey Ilyin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dalileis" <dalileis@...> wrote:

                    > Can´t wait to see this when it´s done. Take care up there!

                    Sure!
                    If there will be produced anything worth to share :)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                      Andrey Ilyin wrote:

                      > I'll shoot handheld, sitting on the the edge of the cabin - don't see
                      > how multitrow can be shot from the pole. Plan to instruct pilot to
                      > sircle slowly or stay steady it he master.

                      Some time ago Edward Fink tried the same and failed. He needed to fly
                      again: http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/30917#msg30917

                      > I used to mix source images shot with different lenses, but only in
                      > marginal situation, when all images were shot with, say, 01,5 Nikkor and
                      > one image shot with normal lens. Would be appreciated if you could give
                      > advice on assembling panos from source images shot with various lenses.

                      In PTGui it's a bit complicated since you can only specify global or
                      individual lens parameters. Hence it is a good idea to have both lenses
                      calibrated and stored in lens database. If this is the case, add all
                      images, check individual lens parameters for the lower number and load
                      lens database values for those on Image Parameters. This is easiest done
                      (in PTGui pro) if you temporarily link the relevant images (mark them in
                      the column and press space).

                      If you need to optimize lens parameters perhaps it's best to simply
                      generate enough CP's and optimize abcde individually for the lower
                      number of images.

                      In hugin you would use a second lens and assign it to the relevant images.

                      best regards
                    • Philip Warner
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                        Andrey,

                        I think trying to do a multi row panorama from a helicopter won't work without an automated panohead. Why not shoot a normal single row pano and use Photoshop to increase the final output size to 25000x12500?

                        Take a current pano and experiment with the demo versions of Genuine Fractals and Alien Skin's Blow Up. That should give you an idea of how large you can increase your current panoramas.

                        Phil
                      • Andrey Ilyin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
                          Hi Philip,

                          I ended up with similar conclusion. Muly row pano can be shot only with th ehelp of extremely scilled pilot, in ideal weather conditions and after the series of tests :)

                          Not sure if I'll have all these components in my project.

                          Guess that there are no point in artificial blowing up of panorams - the effect basically won't differ from zoming in in viewer, imo.

                          Andrey

                          > Andrey,
                          >
                          > I think trying to do a multi row panorama from a helicopter won't work without an automated panohead. Why not shoot a normal single row pano and use Photoshop to increase the final output size to 25000x12500?
                          >
                          > Take a current pano and experiment with the demo versions of Genuine Fractals and Alien Skin's Blow Up. That should give you an idea of how large you can increase your current panoramas.
                          >
                          > Phil

                        • Andrey Ilyin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
                            Thank you, Erik,