[PanoToolsNG] Pano walk on the Market of Ouddorp

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2009
      Cross posting in DIYstreetview.org forum

      Hello Forum,

      Based on the hardware I use for my PanoCycle I did yesterday a pano walk on
      the Market of Ouddorp with a short pole:

      http://www.dmmdh.nl/panos/panowalk/image_001.html

      In line of the concept of the PanoCycle none of the panos of the PanoWalk is
      retouched, all processing is done with batch created PTGui templates and
      with Photoshop and Pano2VR droplets.

      To get the best result I shot at least 2 or 3 panos at each location.
      Shooting the extra images only took 4 to 8 seconds for each pano and 2-3
      times more processing time.
      Later I hand picked the best* out of them.
      *best = a pano with no cloned people in the image or as less as possible.
      If my counting is right then I have cloned people in 4 of 23 panos and none
      of the cloning is irritant.

      Especially for this project I installed PTGui for Windows together with
      Smartblend on my MacBookPro with Parallels en WindowsXP.

      It was the first time that I used Smartblend and some comparisons between
      the output of PTGui blender and Smartblend immediately showed me the
      strength of Smartblend to remove ghostings on the seem so I decided to
      stitch all panos in Windows instead of OSX.

      The downside of working with Parallels+PTGui for Windows is that the
      workflow is a little more complicated to handle and that it takes a little
      longer time so I really wish that Smartblend will be available for OSX some
      day.

      The shoot with the handheld pole is much more difficult then when using the
      bicycle, due to the fast continiously rotating drive (1 turn/4 sec) and the
      eccentric gravity point of the relatively heavy 5D camera it was not easy to
      hold the pole in a steady position.

      Some thoughts about the nadir of the panos.
      Although I could easily use a mirrorball to cover nadir I deliberately
      didn't do this.
      The reasons are;
      • I prefer the view of my hat and the small visible parts of me in nadir
      because they are making me part of the dynamic scene, the advantage of this
      is that there is absolutely no need for removing my shadow.
      • The view of my hat and the small visible parts of me are also a kind of a
      trademark for this type of pano because it matches my logo perfectly.
      • The logo makes the pano less interesting for steeling, or said more
      friendly, for using it without permission ;-)
      • The use of a mirrorball would be irritant because it must cover a much
      larger part of nadir then is acceptable, I like mirrorballs a lot but they
      should be small or not used at all, but this of course is a personal
      opinion.

      I hope you like the panos and the scene of the market.

      Best,
      Wim