Mulit-Webcam rigs for 360-degree one-shot panoramas?

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
      Hi all,

      anyone got experience with using Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks to create
      360-degree one-shot panoramas?
      With hfov of 72 degrees it would need 6 cameras I think. 6x72-360=60 degree
      overlapping, means 5 degree on each seam.

      What are your thoughts?
      What comes to mind?

      Thanks,
      Jan

      P.S.:
      I am aware of these mulit-webcam rigs:
      Jim Watters: http://www.photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
      Bill Meikle: http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html

      By the way does anyone know if Jim Watters is on holiday? Cannot reach him.

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > anyone got experience with using Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks to create
        > 360-degree one-shot panoramas?
        > With hfov of 72 degrees it would need 6 cameras I think. 6x72-360=60 degree
        > overlapping, means 5 degree on each seam.

        Where do you get the info that it is 72 degree.
        If it is 72 it is only around 50 on the short side and I assume you want to mount them vertically. Would be very difficult the other way.

        Hans

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
          Hans,

          you managed to make me nervous.

          So I called them and asked.

          According to Mr. Kolschen of German Logitech Infoline,
          hfov of the Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks is 75 degrees.
          vfov is unknow to him, so is dfov.

          I specifically asked if the Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks is just a
          Logitech 9000 Pro that has been turned from horizontal to vertical. He said
          no, because - as you already stated -, the result would be a mere 50 deg.
          hfov wich is totally inappropriate for a webcam this price-range and
          outdated by years.

          Unfortunately they told me this info is not available online at Logitech.

          However I goggled for
          Logitech 9000 Pro for Notebooks "75 degree"
          and found a few websites stating 75 degree.

          And where did you get your Info from? ( I really like to know.)

          Jan

          On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Jan
          > Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > anyone got experience with using Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks to create
          > > 360-degree one-shot panoramas?
          > > With hfov of 72 degrees it would need 6 cameras I think. 6x72-360=60
          > degree
          > > overlapping, means 5 degree on each seam.
          >
          > Where do you get the info that it is 72 degree.
          > If it is 72 it is only around 50 on the short side and I assume you want to
          > mount them vertically. Would be very difficult the other way.
          >
          > Hans
          >

          > > What are your thoughts?
          > > What comes to mind?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jan
          > >
          > > P.S.:
          > > I am aware of these mulit-webcam rigs:
          > > Jim Watters: http://www.photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
          > > Bill Meikle: http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
          > >
          > > By the way does anyone know if Jim Watters is on holiday? Cannot reach
          > him.

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:

            > Hans,
            >
            > you managed to make me nervous.
            >
            > So I called them and asked.
            >
            > According to Mr. Kolschen of German Logitech Infoline,
            > hfov of the Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks is 75 degrees.
            > vfov is unknow to him, so is dfov.
            >
            > I specifically asked if the Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks is just a
            > Logitech 9000 Pro that has been turned from horizontal to vertical. He said
            > no, because - as you already stated -, the result would be a mere 50 deg.
            > hfov wich is totally inappropriate for a webcam this price-range and
            > outdated by years.
            >
            > Unfortunately they told me this info is not available online at Logitech.
            >
            > However I goggled for
            > Logitech 9000 Pro for Notebooks "75 degree"
            > and found a few websites stating 75 degree.
            >
            > And where did you get your Info from? ( I really like to know.)

            I looked at the official site and there is no info.
            Also it is always the long side or the diagonal which you get the FOV for.

            As far as I can see you get 1200x1600 pixels so you just get 52 degree on the short side.
            That corresponds t a 25mm lens on a 35mm camera which is a very large wideangle for a
            webcam.

            Hans

            > Jan
            >

            > On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
            >

            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Jan
            > > Martin <janmartin3@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > anyone got experience with using Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks to create
            > > > 360-degree one-shot panoramas?
            > > > With hfov of 72 degrees it would need 6 cameras I think. 6x72-360=60
            > > degree
            > > > overlapping, means 5 degree on each seam.
            > >
            > > Where do you get the info that it is 72 degree.
            > > If it is 72 it is only around 50 on the short side and I assume you want to
            > > mount them vertically. Would be very difficult the other way.
            > >
            > > Hans
            > >

            > > > What are your thoughts?
            > > > What comes to mind?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Jan
            > > >
            > > > P.S.:
            > > > I am aware of these mulit-webcam rigs:
            > > > Jim Watters: http://www.photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
            > > > Bill Meikle: http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
            > > >
            > > > By the way does anyone know if Jim Watters is on holiday? Cannot reach
            > > him.

          • Jan Martin
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
              Can't follow you.
              Does anyone have a Quickcam 9000 Pro for Notebooks and can confirm a hfov of
              75 degree?

              Just to make sure we talk about the same thingy:

              What they look like:

              Logitech Quickcam 9000 Pro: horizontal casing
              http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-960-000048-Webcam-Pro-9000/dp/B000RZQZM0

              Logitech Quickcam 9000 Pro for Notebooks: vertical casing
              (Nice to place cameras very close to each other.)

              http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-QuickCam-Pro-Notebooks-Silver/dp/B000RZNI4S/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

              Now one could think the Quickcam 9000 Pro for Notebooks is just a Quickcam
              9000 Pro rotated from horizontal to vertical. ( I think this is what you try
              to say?)

              According to the call I made today this is not the case.
              The circuit-boards are different, because the circuit-board has been rotated
              90 degrees while the sensor has not not. So the hfov is still 75 degrees.

              Do you agree?

              Jan

              On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Jan
              > Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hans,
              > >
              > > you managed to make me nervous.
              > >
              > > So I called them and asked.
              > >
              > > According to Mr. Kolschen of German Logitech Infoline,
              > > hfov of the Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks is 75 degrees.
              > > vfov is unknow to him, so is dfov.
              > >
              > > I specifically asked if the Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks is just a
              > > Logitech 9000 Pro that has been turned from horizontal to vertical. He
              > said
              > > no, because - as you already stated -, the result would be a mere 50 deg.
              > > hfov wich is totally inappropriate for a webcam this price-range and
              > > outdated by years.
              > >
              > > Unfortunately they told me this info is not available online at Logitech.
              > >
              > > However I goggled for
              > > Logitech 9000 Pro for Notebooks "75 degree"
              > > and found a few websites stating 75 degree.
              > >
              > > And where did you get your Info from? ( I really like to know.)
              >
              > I looked at the official site and there is no info.
              > Also it is always the long side or the diagonal which you get the FOV for.
              >
              > As far as I can see you get 1200x1600 pixels so you just get 52 degree on
              > the short side.
              > That corresponds t a 25mm lens on a 35mm camera which is a very large
              > wideangle for a
              > webcam.
              >
              > Hans
              >

              > > Jan
              > >

              > > On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
              > 40yahoogroups.com>, Jan

              > create
              > > > degree
              > > >
              > > > Where do you get the info that it is 72 degree.
              > > > If it is 72 it is only around 50 on the short side and I assume you
              > want to
              > > > mount them vertically. Would be very difficult the other way.
              > > >
              > > > Hans

              > http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html

              > reach
              > > > him.

            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:

                > Now one could think the Quickcam 9000 Pro for Notebooks is just a Quickcam
                > 9000 Pro rotated from horizontal to vertical. ( I think this is what you try
                > to say?)
                >
                > According to the call I made today this is not the case.
                > The circuit-boards are different, because the circuit-board has been rotated
                > 90 degrees while the sensor has not not. So the hfov is still 75 degrees.
                >
                > Do you agree?

                A webcam with the images in portrait, no way.
                I doubt very much that.
                Remember they are for video purpose mainly.
                Have you ever seen a video in 2/3 format portrait.

                Hans

                > Jan
                >

                > On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
                >

                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Jan
                > > Martin <janmartin3@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hans,
                > > >
                > > > you managed to make me nervous.
                > > >
                > > > So I called them and asked.
                > > >
                > > > According to Mr. Kolschen of German Logitech Infoline,
                > > > hfov of the Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks is 75 degrees.
                > > > vfov is unknow to him, so is dfov.
                > > >
                > > > I specifically asked if the Logitech 9000 Pro for Netbooks is just a
                > > > Logitech 9000 Pro that has been turned from horizontal to vertical. He
                > > said
                > > > no, because - as you already stated -, the result would be a mere 50 deg.
                > > > hfov wich is totally inappropriate for a webcam this price-range and
                > > > outdated by years.
                > > >
                > > > Unfortunately they told me this info is not available online at Logitech.
                > > >
                > > > However I goggled for
                > > > Logitech 9000 Pro for Notebooks "75 degree"
                > > > and found a few websites stating 75 degree.
                > > >
                > > > And where did you get your Info from? ( I really like to know.)
                > >
                > > I looked at the official site and there is no info.
                > > Also it is always the long side or the diagonal which you get the FOV for.
                > >
                > > As far as I can see you get 1200x1600 pixels so you just get 52 degree on
                > > the short side.
                > > That corresponds t a 25mm lens on a 35mm camera which is a very large
                > > wideangle for a
                > > webcam.
                > >
                > > Hans
                > >

                > > > Jan

                > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Jan

                > > create

                > > want to

                > > http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html

                > > reach

              • Jan Martin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
                  Not the sensor is in "portrait", just the casing of the camera.
                  The sensor still is "landscape".

                  Jan

                  On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Jan
                  > Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Now one could think the Quickcam 9000 Pro for Notebooks is just a
                  > Quickcam
                  > > 9000 Pro rotated from horizontal to vertical. ( I think this is what you
                  > try
                  > > to say?)
                  > >
                  > > According to the call I made today this is not the case.
                  > > The circuit-boards are different, because the circuit-board has been
                  > rotated
                  > > 90 degrees while the sensor has not not. So the hfov is still 75 degrees.
                  > >
                  > > Do you agree?
                  >
                  > A webcam with the images in portrait, no way.
                  > I doubt very much that.
                  > Remember they are for video purpose mainly.
                  > Have you ever seen a video in 2/3 format portrait.
                  >
                  > Hans
                  >

                  > > Jan
                  >

                  > > On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
                  > 40yahoogroups.com>, Jan

                  > He
                  > > > said
                  > deg.

                  > Logitech.

                  > > > I looked at the official site and there is no info.
                  > > > Also it is always the long side or the diagonal which you get the FOV
                  > for.
                  > > >
                  > > > As far as I can see you get 1200x1600 pixels so you just get 52 degree
                  > on
                  > > > the short side.
                  > > > That corresponds t a 25mm lens on a 35mm camera which is a very large
                  > > > wideangle for a
                  > > > webcam.
                  > > >
                  > > > Hans

                  > 40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
                  >
                  > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Jan

                  > > > create
                  > 6x72-360=60

                  > > > want to

                  > > > http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html

                  > > > reach

                • Hans Nyberg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:

                    > Not the sensor is in "portrait", just the casing of the camera.
                    > The sensor still is "landscape".

                    Yes, so if you want to use it for panoramas you should use the horizontal version which will gives you the largest vertical FOV.

                    Taking the images in landscape will give you less than 50 degrees vertical fov.

                    Hans

                    > Jan
                    >
                    > On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Jan
                    > > Martin <janmartin3@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Now one could think the Quickcam 9000 Pro for Notebooks is just a
                    > > Quickcam
                    > > > 9000 Pro rotated from horizontal to vertical. ( I think this is what you
                    > > try
                    > > > to say?)
                    > > >
                    > > > According to the call I made today this is not the case.
                    > > > The circuit-boards are different, because the circuit-board has been
                    > > rotated
                    > > > 90 degrees while the sensor has not not. So the hfov is still 75 degrees.
                    > > >
                    > > > Do you agree?
                    > >
                    > > A webcam with the images in portrait, no way.
                    > > I doubt very much that.
                    > > Remember they are for video purpose mainly.
                    > > Have you ever seen a video in 2/3 format portrait.
                    > >
                    > > Hans
                    > >

                    > > > Jan

                    > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Jan

                    > > He
                    > > deg.

                    > > Logitech.

                    > > for.

                    > > on

                    > > 40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%

                    > > 6x72-360=60

                  • Jan Martin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
                      Like this:

                      QuickCam Pro 9000
                      _______
                      / \______________________
                      | _____ |
                      | |_____| |
                      | ______________________|
                      \_______/

                      QuickCam Pro for Notebooks
                      _______
                      | |
                      | |
                      | |
                      | |
                      | |
                      | |
                      / \
                      | _____ |
                      | |_____| |
                      | |
                      \________/

                      Sensor positioned the same way, therefore same hfov.
                      But a few cameras can be arranged a lot tighter to reduce parallax error.

                    • Jan Martin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
                        Well, just 50 degrees vertical fov is something I haven't thought about, to
                        be honest.
                        Thanks for the clarification.

                        I do not think one can arrange the horizontal version of the camera close
                        enough to get a acceptable parallax error. Maybe arranging the camera so
                        that dfov of the sensor is exactly vertical?

                        After all dfov of the sensor is SQRT((75^2)+(50^2))= 90 degree.
                        That would make a nice vfov.

                        But what would hfov and vfow be with a sensor arranged like that?
                        How many cameras would one need for a whole circle?

                        Jan

                        On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Jan
                        > Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Not the sensor is in "portrait", just the casing of the camera.
                        > > The sensor still is "landscape".
                        >
                        > Yes, so if you want to use it for panoramas you should use the horizontal
                        > version which will gives you the largest vertical FOV.
                        >
                        > Taking the images in landscape will give you less than 50 degrees vertical
                        > fov.
                        >
                        > Hans
                        >

                        > > Jan
                        > >
                        > > On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
                        > 40yahoogroups.com>, Jan

                        > > > Quickcam
                        > you
                        > > > try

                        > > > rotated
                        > degrees.

                        > > > A webcam with the images in portrait, no way.
                        > > > I doubt very much that.
                        > > > Remember they are for video purpose mainly.
                        > > > Have you ever seen a video in 2/3 format portrait.
                        > > >
                        > > > Hans

                        > 40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
                        >
                        > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Jan

                        > just a
                        > vertical.
                        > > > He
                        > 50
                        > > > deg.
                        > and

                        > > > Logitech.

                        > FOV
                        > > > for.

                        > degree
                        > > > on
                        > large

                        > 40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
                        > > > 40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%

                        > Netbooks
                        > > > 6x72-360=60

                        > you

                        > Cannot

                      • Jan Martin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
                          OK, stupid error of mine,

                          of course one can arrange them close enough with both sensor and casing in
                          portrait.

                          But then one would have 50 degrees hfov, with 5 degrees overlapping each
                          side, just 40 degrees remain. Which means 360/40=9 cameras. 50% (3 piece)
                          more cameras more than I thought. Also more expensive. And the larger
                          datastream probably more complicated to handle.

                          Oh my.

                          Jan