sears tower glass box on the 103rd floor

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2009
      Ok, I did it.

      1. Wait in 1/2 hour line with 2 little kids in (and out of) stroller in
      baking sunshine
      2. Take elevator DOWN. Wait in a second line in basement, in the name of
      security - metal detector, etc. another half hour or so. 1 kid is now
      sleeping :)
      3. through the metal detector, now there is a movie - some historical short
      film about the tower. our two babies aren't so interested in this. however
      it's required. only if you pay EXTRA you are able to NOT WATCH the movie :-D
      :-D So instead we wait outside. we cannot go straight to the elevator. only
      those who bought the "fast pass" can really skip it. We wait outside until
      it's finished
      4. another pretty short line to the elevator.
      5. Elevator going up. Breast feeding the little one to avoid painful ears.
      The bigger one sleeps.
      6. At the top! It's a busy day (monday morning!). Lots and lots of people.
      Look for the glass box.
      7. Another line. Everyone wants to see the damn glass box. Is it worth it?
      I'm guessing not.
      8. Our line halts. Some video camera man has cut to the front and has his
      tripod set up with the blessing of the security guards.
      9. Line isn't moving. lots of people in front. We switch to another line.
      (there are 3 of these windows - 1 is out of order)
      10. Finally. At the edge. This won't be scary at all, I think to myself.
      Camera ready. (no tripod)

      Looking down.... Holy shit, this is scary. Whooooaaaa this is really
      scary!!! Take a very cautious step, and another. Ohmygod this is crazy.
      Wow... Snap snap snap snap.

      I shot about 3 or 4 panos inside the box. handheld. Lots of glare on the
      nadir shot. We'll see. I'm on holiday. I'll stitch it when I get home. Soon!

      It was worth the wait :-) If any chicago folks want to do it, I'd advise
      getting there before it opens - the wait really is long. But yes, it's worth
      it....

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

    • Leonard Evens
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2009
        On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 22:45 +0200, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:
        > Ok, I did it.
        >
        > 1. Wait in 1/2 hour line with 2 little kids in (and out of) stroller in
        > baking sunshine
        > 2. Take elevator DOWN. Wait in a second line in basement, in the name of
        > security - metal detector, etc. another half hour or so. 1 kid is now
        > sleeping :)
        > 3. through the metal detector, now there is a movie - some historical short
        > film about the tower. our two babies aren't so interested in this. however
        > it's required. only if you pay EXTRA you are able to NOT WATCH the movie :-D
        > :-D So instead we wait outside. we cannot go straight to the elevator. only
        > those who bought the "fast pass" can really skip it. We wait outside until
        > it's finished
        > 4. another pretty short line to the elevator.
        > 5. Elevator going up. Breast feeding the little one to avoid painful ears.
        > The bigger one sleeps.
        > 6. At the top! It's a busy day (monday morning!). Lots and lots of people.
        > Look for the glass box.
        > 7. Another line. Everyone wants to see the damn glass box. Is it worth it?
        > I'm guessing not.
        > 8. Our line halts. Some video camera man has cut to the front and has his
        > tripod set up with the blessing of the security guards.
        > 9. Line isn't moving. lots of people in front. We switch to another line.
        > (there are 3 of these windows - 1 is out of order)
        > 10. Finally. At the edge. This won't be scary at all, I think to myself.
        > Camera ready. (no tripod)
        >
        > Looking down.... Holy shit, this is scary. Whooooaaaa this is really
        > scary!!! Take a very cautious step, and another. Ohmygod this is crazy.
        > Wow... Snap snap snap snap.
        >
        > I shot about 3 or 4 panos inside the box. handheld. Lots of glare on the
        > nadir shot. We'll see. I'm on holiday. I'll stitch it when I get home. Soon!
        >
        > It was worth the wait :-) If any chicago folks want to do it, I'd advise
        > getting there before it opens - the wait really is long. But yes, it's worth
        > it....

        I live in the Chicago area, but with my fear of heights and my spinal
        stenosis, which makes it difficult to stand in line waiting, I think I
        will skip it.

        > Jeffrey Martin
        > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
        > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

      • Willy Kaemena
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2009
          here is the result of that visit.
          made of 4 shots handheld

          http://www.360cities.net/image/sears-tower-skydeck-window-chicago

          Willy Kaemena on behalf of Jeffrey Martin who is at this moment at
          30000 ft between ORD and SFO.

        • Juergen Schrader
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2009
            bless your wife, man ;)

          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 29, 2009
              Quoting Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>:

              > here is the result of that visit.
              > made of 4 shots handheld
              >
              > http://www.360cities.net/image/sears-tower-skydeck-window-chicago
              totally unfazed kid in the blue and yellow dress is funny.

              mick

            • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 30, 2009
                http://www.360cities.net/image/sears-tower-skydeck-window-chicago

                THANK YOU to Willy Kaemena for stitching this for me :-)

                Jeffrey Martin
                tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
                  @ Jeffrey,

                  Indeed scary, only the kids are without fear.
                  Nice pano, thanks for sharing.

                  @ Willy,
                  Nice stitch job.

                  To both of you,