[PanoToolsNG] OT: For timelapse movies I need a date and time stamper that runs in OSX

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 28, 2009
      Hello Forum,

      For timelapse movies I need a date and time stamper application that runs in
      OSX or a Photoshop plugin that grabs the data out of the EXIF header of a
      JPEG image and then put it visible, with some make-up like color, fontsize,
      etc, in the left and right bottom corners of the image.
      Applications must be able to batch process a folder containing thousands of
      images.

      Here is an example of the kind of movie I need it for:
      (besides the timelapse movie there are also 4 picts of the setup and a
      360x92 degree pano)

      http://www.dmmdh.nl/timelapse/timelapse_26072009/700px/image_001.html

      Any ideas?

      Wim

    • Jan Martin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 28, 2009
        Hi Wim,

        depending on your capabilities as a programmer you could put exiftool to
        work to get the data.
        I am sure there are tons of programs available to write to .jpg files.

        http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

        Jan

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 28, 2009
          Wim Koornneef wrote:

          > For timelapse movies I need a date and time stamper application that runs in
          > OSX or a Photoshop plugin that grabs the data out of the EXIF header of a
          > JPEG image and then put it visible, with some make-up like color, fontsize,
          > etc, in the left and right bottom corners of the image.
          > Applications must be able to batch process a folder containing thousands of
          > images.

          Irfanview will do that. Choose Batch Conversion from menu, Advanced
          options, Add overlay text Settings and press Help for a List and infos
          about placeholders.

          best regards
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 28, 2009
            Erik Krause wrote:

            > Irfanview will do that.

            Sorry, this won't run in OSX. Missed your requirement. ExifTool is a
            good point to start (ther are links to GUIs down the page) and I'm
            almost sure ImageMagick will do it.

            best regards
          • Wim Koornneef
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 28, 2009
              Hello Jan and Erik,

              Thanks for your help.
              You both pointed me to ExifTool but unfortunately I couldn't find a OSX GUI
              for it that provide the date & time stamp function I need.

              On my MacBookPro I can run Windows XP so I will try Irfanview first.

              Thanks again,
              Wim
            • bohonus
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 28, 2009
                If you are familiar with Javascript to can automate what you need to do in Photoshop.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

                > On my MacBookPro I can run Windows XP so I will try Irfanview first.
                >
                > Thanks again,
                > Wim
              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 28, 2009
                  Hello Bradford,

                  Thanks for the suggestion.
                  Unfortunately my skills in Javascripting is very limited so this isn't an
                  option for me :-(

                  Best,
                  Wim

                  bohonus wrote:

                  > If you are familiar with Javascript to can automate what you need to do in
                  > Photoshop.

                • Wim Koornneef
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
                    I just run Irfanview and with the guidance of Erik Krause adding of the
                    date/time text to the images was a piece of cake.

                    The updated movies have replaced the old ones and it is clear to see that
                    the added date/time info gives the neccesary feedback what part of the day
                    is showed in the timelapse.
                    So now it is easy to see that it started to rain at 17:15 ;-)

                    Erik, thanks again.

                    Best,
                    Wim
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
                      Oops, i made a type, its 19:15, not that it really matters ;-))

                      Wim

                      Wim Koornneef wrote:

                      > So now it is easy to see that it started to rain at 17:15 ;-)

                    • Harry van der Wolf
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 30, 2009
                        Hi Wim,

                        This could easily be achieved in applescript (or applescript studio).
                        Currently I don have a mac anymore, but you could google for applescripts
                        containing these kind of funtionality. When I had my mac I wrote an
                        applescript like that for myself. Not in batchmode, but that's easy to
                        change.
                        Just do a google search for it.

                        Harry

                        2009/7/28 Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>

                        > Hello Forum,
                        >
                        > For timelapse movies I need a date and time stamper application that runs
                        > in
                        > OSX or a Photoshop plugin that grabs the data out of the EXIF header of a
                        > JPEG image and then put it visible, with some make-up like color, fontsize,
                        > etc, in the left and right bottom corners of the image.
                        > Applications must be able to batch process a folder containing thousands of
                        > images.
                        >
                        > Here is an example of the kind of movie I need it for:
                        > (besides the timelapse movie there are also 4 picts of the setup and a
                        > 360x92 degree pano)
                        >
                        > http://www.dmmdh.nl/timelapse/timelapse_26072009/700px/image_001.html
                        >
                        > Any ideas?
                        >
                        > Wim

                      • Wim Koornneef
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 31, 2009
                          Hello Harry,

                          Thanks for the suggestion.

                          Before posting the request I did a search for OSX apps, I did found a lot of
                          apps for windows but none for OSX (very strange), so it is good to know that
                          the job can be done with AppleScript.

                          For the moment I prefer to use the windows application IrfanView, as it
                          turned out the app works fine and fast in Parallels with XP. The option to
                          set all kinds of custom settings for font, color, style, position of the
                          text, what kind of EXIF info you want to show, etc. is very handy. The app
                          can also batch process large number of files.

                          Wim