3D models and 360's

  • robert_harshman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24 11:07 AM
      Just an FYI.

      I'm sure most if not all of you know that 360's can be extremely useful to 3D modelers. At a minimum they can be used as light probes to define realistic lighting. However, I think I just found an example of where one of my 360's was used to build an entire model of a room, it's windows, furniture, lights, walls, floors and even rugs.

      I've contacted the company offering this 3D model for sale simply to ask them if they are aware that the model they show is a close copy of a real place. Beyond that I'm not sure it would be possible to absolutely tell if the model was copied form my work or not.

      And even if it was I'm not sure how any court would view this. Is it a derivative work or ...?

      And before I post any images of it and the 360 I want to hear what the company that's selling it says.

      Have a great weekend!

      Robert
    • robert_harshman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31 11:12 AM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert_harshman" <image360@...> wrote:

        > And before I post any images of it and the 360 I want to hear what the company that's selling it says.

        Well, after a week no real response, just a " the person whom responsible for this will look into it" type response. And, perhaps it's just not a copy, I'm not sure, what do you think?

        Here's the 360, shot and posted many years ago - it's the one displayed by default:

        http://www.robertharshman.com/360vr/vr-7.html

        And here's a link to the still images of the 3D model.

        http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/baroque-grandeur?item=9440&_m=d&trid=280981508

        tiny url version

        http://tinyurl.com/nn8xcj

        Regards,

        Robert
      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31 11:46 AM
          On 31 Jul 2009 at 18:12, robert_harshman wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert_harshman" <image360@...> wrote:
          >
          > > And before I post any images of it and the 360 I want to hear what the company that's selling it says.
          > >

          > Well, after a week no real response, just a " the person whom responsible for this
          > will look into it" type response. And, perhaps it's just not a copy, I'm not sure,
          > what do you think?

          The 3D model does not look like any of your panos, as far as I can see. The floor,
          ceiling, doors, carpets, furniture etc are all different from yours.
          Actually I can't find any details in the 3D model grabbed from your pano. It's possibly
          grabbed from somewhere else though ;)
          Nice panos BTW.
          And nicely made 3D model as well...

          > Here's the 360, shot and posted many years ago - it's the one displayed by default:
          >
          > http://www.robertharshman.com/360vr/vr-7.html
          >
          > And here's a link to the still images of the 3D model.
          >
          > http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/baroque-grandeur?item=9440&_m=d&trid=280981508
          >
          > tiny url version
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/nn8xcj

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31 11:53 AM
            2009/7/31 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>

            > The 3D model does not look like any of your panos, as far as I can see. The
            > floor,
            > ceiling, doors, carpets, furniture etc are all different from yours.
            > Actually I can't find any details in the 3D model grabbed from your pano.
            > It's possibly
            > grabbed from somewhere else though ;)
            > Nice panos BTW.
            > And nicely made 3D model as well...

            I agree with all Bjørn's observations as well !

            AYRTON
            ------------
            | A Y R |
            | T O N |
          • robert_harshman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31 12:17 PM
              > > what do you think?
              >
              > The 3D model does not look like any of your panos, as far as I can see. The floor,
              > ceiling, doors, carpets, furniture etc are all different from yours.
              > Actually I can't find any details in the 3D model grabbed from your pano. It's possibly
              > grabbed from somewhere else though ;)
              > Nice panos BTW.
              > And nicely made 3D model as well...

              thanks for the input, and compliment.

              And I agree with you that the details are not quite the same, but the overall room is, the windows, columns, carpet, chandeliers and even the chairs and tables bear a similar look and feel. At least by my eyes I think the 3D model was based on this room and at least should give some credit to it. The same 3D modeler has another version of this room on the site that uses windows that are definitely more explicit copies from this room. But if you and others do not see that then that's that.

              regards,

              Robert
            • Ian Wood
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31 1:04 PM
                On 31 Jul 2009, at 20:17, robert_harshman wrote:

                > And I agree with you that the details are not quite the same, but
                > the overall room is, the windows, columns, carpet, chandeliers and
                > even the chairs and tables bear a similar look and feel. At least by
                > my eyes I think the 3D model was based on this room and at least
                > should give some credit to it. The same 3D modeler has another
                > version of this room on the site that uses windows that are
                > definitely more explicit copies from this room. But if you and
                > others do not see that then that's that.

                Definitely nice panos, but I have to agree that the 3D model is not
                based on the panorama. It's not that *some* of the details are not
                wuite the same, it's that *all* the details are different.

                I'm not sure how many dealings you've had with creating 3D models from
                panoramas but I'd be very surprised if they had used your pano as the
                basis for the model. Things like the differences in the shape of the
                seat backs (and having detail on the rear of the seats), different
                carpet designs etc. would have made it *more* work for the modeller to
                start from your panorama than to start from scratch and/or their own
                reference photos.

                It's also unlikely that your pano was used as a source for textures,
                as every surface I've looked at closely is different from the actual
                room - for instance herringbone parquet in the panorama and straight
                floorboards in the model, different paintings in the panels, most of
                the flat surfaces such as wooden surfaces using stock textures etc.

                The model is clearly based on that room, but then so is the
                panorama. ;-)

                Ian
              • Bjørn K Nilssen
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
                  On 31 Jul 2009 at 21:04, Ian Wood wrote:

                  > On 31 Jul 2009, at 20:17, robert_harshman wrote:
                  >
                  > > And I agree with you that the details are not quite the same, but
                  > > the overall room is, the windows, columns, carpet, chandeliers and
                  > > even the chairs and tables bear a similar look and feel. At least by
                  > > my eyes I think the 3D model was based on this room and at least
                  > > should give some credit to it. The same 3D modeler has another
                  > > version of this room on the site that uses windows that are
                  > > definitely more explicit copies from this room. But if you and
                  > > others do not see that then that's that.
                  >
                  > Definitely nice panos, but I have to agree that the 3D model is not
                  > based on the panorama. It's not that *some* of the details are not
                  > wuite the same, it's that *all* the details are different.
                  >
                  > I'm not sure how many dealings you've had with creating 3D models from
                  > panoramas but I'd be very surprised if they had used your pano as the
                  > basis for the model. Things like the differences in the shape of the
                  > seat backs (and having detail on the rear of the seats), different
                  > carpet designs etc. would have made it *more* work for the modeller to
                  > start from your panorama than to start from scratch and/or their own
                  > reference photos.
                  >
                  > It's also unlikely that your pano was used as a source for textures,
                  > as every surface I've looked at closely is different from the actual
                  > room - for instance herringbone parquet in the panorama and straight
                  > floorboards in the model, different paintings in the panels, most of
                  > the flat surfaces such as wooden surfaces using stock textures etc.
                  >
                  > The model is clearly based on that room, but then so is the
                  > panorama. ;-)

                  And/or that room in Chicago (as well as the 3D model) is most likely based on one or more
                  different, similar rooms in Europe ;)