Vivitar, Bower, Polar, Falcon or Samyang fisheye

  • michel thoby
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2009
      Hi all,

      I have shaved a 8 mm f3.5 Samyang "aspherical" fisheye lens and have
      tested it on the Canon EOS 5D.
      The results applicable for panorama making are surprisingly good so
      far and this is probably mainly due to the uncommon projection
      (Stereographic).

      To complete a good review that was posted in May 2009 on the
      www.lenstip.com web site, my early test report can be read at:
      http://tinyurl.com/n2hqna
      I have intensively shot with the lens principally measurement
      purposes. I plan to post some sample images from the "shaved" lens in
      a couple of days but in the meanwhile you can peer to dozen of images
      from "unshaved" lenses by Googling the web.
      Beware: the same lens is available under many different brand labels
      (read the title for an incomplete list). The Vivitar model is sold as
      a... 7 mm (Series 1) fisheye.

      Regards,

      Michel Thoby
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2009
        Could you please post a link to some of your test images?

        The images on Flickr seem to be some sort of HDR and it's
        hard to see what the lens is actually doing.

        The price is good -- I guess.

        michel thoby wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have shaved a 8 mm f3.5 Samyang "aspherical" fisheye lens and have
        > tested it on the Canon EOS 5D.
        > The results applicable for panorama making are surprisingly good so
        > far and this is probably mainly due to the uncommon projection
        > (Stereographic).
        >
        > To complete a good review that was posted in May 2009 on the
        > www.lenstip.com web site, my early test report can be read at:
        > http://tinyurl.com/n2hqna
        > I have intensively shot with the lens principally measurement
        > purposes. I plan to post some sample images from the "shaved" lens in
        > a couple of days but in the meanwhile you can peer to dozen of images
        > from "unshaved" lenses by Googling the web.
        > Beware: the same lens is available under many different brand labels
        > (read the title for an incomplete list). The Vivitar model is sold as
        > a... 7 mm (Series 1) fisheye.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Michel Thoby

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2009

          > Could you please post a link to some of your test images?
          >
          > The images on Flickr seem to be some sort of HDR and it's
          > hard to see what the lens is actually doing.
          >
          > The price is good -- I guess.
          >
          > michel thoby wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I have shaved a 8 mm f3.5 Samyang "aspherical" fisheye lens and have
          > > tested it on the Canon EOS 5D.
          > > The results applicable for panorama making are surprisingly good so
          > > far and this is probably mainly due to the uncommon projection
          > > (Stereographic).
          > >
          > > To complete a good review that was posted in May 2009 on the
          > > www.lenstip.com web site, my early test report can be read at:
          > > http://tinyurl.com/n2hqna
          > > I have intensively shot with the lens principally measurement
          > > purposes. I plan to post some sample images from the "shaved" lens in
          > > a couple of days but in the meanwhile you can peer to dozen of images
          > > from "unshaved" lenses by Googling the web.
          > > Beware: the same lens is available under many different brand labels
          > > (read the title for an incomplete list). The Vivitar model is sold as
          > > a... 7 mm (Series 1) fisheye.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Michel Thoby

          There are test images at the end of the lenstip report
          http://www.lenstip.com/160.11-Lens_review-Samyang_8_mm_f_3.5_Aspherical_IF_MC_Fish-eye_Summary.html

          It is a really interesting lens and thanks for the test Michel! but the chromatic aberration at f8 in one of those pics seems high to me.
          And the flare pattern with the sun in the picture has distributed small flare areas. I think I prefer flare with lenses like the Nikkor 10.5 where the flare is mostly in a large patch with no sharp edges or the Sigma 15mm where it is more a veiling haze. But I would really like to see some shots on a 20M sensor. The image geometry and overall contrast seem really nice though.

          Peter M
        • michel thoby
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 27, 2009

            Le 24 juil. 09 à 19:46, panovrx a écrit :

            > It is a really interesting lens and thanks for the test Michel! but
            > the chromatic aberration at f8 in one of those pics seems high to me.
            > The image geometry and overall contrast seem really nice though.
            >
            > Peter M

            Ken,
            I have complemented my article with a panorama that was outputted
            with PTGui Pro then processed with Pano2VR and you might download a
            set of the three source images (RAW):
            http://tinyurl.com/n2hqna

            Peter,
            The chromatic aberration isn't really more pregnant than for our
            other fisheyes but it is somewhat differently colored. It's still
            quite easy to correct.
            The geometry is more than nice and pleasing as it allows to have a
            much higher (+16%) panorama native resolution than the Nikkor and
            better IQ at the nadir and zenith of a 3 or 4-shot panorama.
            I still have to test for flare and glare.

            Image sharpness and contrast seem to be quite constant from full
            aperture till f/16. The claimed f/3.5 value may be a little over-
            optimistic though.

            Michel