Sunex super fisheye lenses and hugin

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 20, 2009
      Hi all,

      I am doing some research for alternative camera rig for my
      www.DIYstreetview.org open source project.

      I just stumbled about the Sunex super fisheye lenses with a Field of View
      (FOV) greater then 180 degrees for just 99 USD:

      http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_fisheye.asp

      Namely these two lenses:
      DSL216A
      DSL215B
      <http://www.optics-online.com/Detail.asp?PN=DSL216A>
      They even provide unaltered sample pictures taken with their super fisheye
      lenses:
      http://www.sunex.com/dslr/files/2shots.zip

      And what the resulting 360 degree panorama should look like (Swimming pool
      example):
      http://www.sunex.com/dslr/virtualtour.htm

      I am interested in recreating that panorama using Hugin.

      Unfortunately I have no experience with Hugin.
      Anyone fancy to give it a try and tell about it in detail?

      Thanks,
      Jan

    • Thomas Demolliens
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
        Hi Jan

        See my comments below.

        Kind regards,
        Thomas

        > I just stumbled about the Sunex super fisheye lenses with a Field of
        View
        > (FOV) greater then 180 degrees for just 99 USD:
        >
        > http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_fisheye.asp
        >
        > Namely these two lenses:
        > DSL216A
        > DSL215B
        > <http://www.optics-online.com/Detail.asp?PN=DSL216A>

        The two lenses you mention are mini fisheye designed mainly for security
        applications.
        They are different from the superfisheye designed for Canon APS-C or
        Nikon DX format DSLRs (see http://www.superfisheye.com)

        This was done with the superfisheye @ $799.

        > And what the resulting 360 degree panorama should look like (Swimming
        pool
        > example):
        > http://www.sunex.com/dslr/virtualtour.htm

        This was done with the superfisheye @ $799.

        > Unfortunately I have no experience with Hugin.
        > Anyone fancy to give it a try and tell about it in detail?

        Sorry, I used PTGui and AutoPano Pro, no experience with Hugin.

      • Jan Martin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
          Hi Thomas,

          yes I already guessed they didn't put images from the smaller lenses online,
          wich is a real shame.
          I will have to ask them again.

          Meanwhile I am still looking for a step-by-step on how to recreate the
          swimming pool panorama from the two 187 degree fov fisheye images.

          Thanks,
          Jan

          On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Thomas Demolliens <bemol73@...>wrote:

          > Hi Jan
          >
          > See my comments below.
          >
          > Kind regards,
          > Thomas
          >

          > > I just stumbled about the Sunex super fisheye lenses with a Field of
          > View
          > > (FOV) greater then 180 degrees for just 99 USD:
          > >
          > > http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_fisheye.asp
          > >
          > > Namely these two lenses:
          > > DSL216A
          > > DSL215B
          > > <http://www.optics-online.com/Detail.asp?PN=DSL216A>
          >
          > The two lenses you mention are mini fisheye designed mainly for security
          > applications.
          > They are different from the superfisheye designed for Canon APS-C or
          > Nikon DX format DSLRs (see http://www.superfisheye.com)
          >
          > > They even provide unaltered sample pictures taken with their super
          > fisheye
          > > lenses:
          > > http://www.sunex.com/dslr/files/2shots.zip
          >
          > This was done with the superfisheye @ $799.
          >

          > > And what the resulting 360 degree panorama should look like (Swimming
          > pool
          > > example):
          > > http://www.sunex.com/dslr/virtualtour.htm
          >
          > This was done with the superfisheye @ $799.
          >
          > > Unfortunately I have no experience with Hugin.
          > > Anyone fancy to give it a try and tell about it in detail?
          >
          > Sorry, I used PTGui and AutoPano Pro, no experience with Hugin.

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
            I did a quick try at stitching the two Sunnex images
            at the pool. I got a good stitch which suprised me because
            my stitching skills are modest at best.

            PTGui couldn't find control points so I added a few by
            hand. Adding control points by hand was real hard with so
            little overlap but I did manage to add a few.

            Cropping was difficult because it's hard to tell where
            the crop circle should go at the bottom and around the
            edges because the background is black and the fall off
            at the edges of the image just sort of blurs into the
            background.

            I set the lens FOV to 185 and set the yaw, roll, pitch
            parameters to what the ideal settings should be and got
            a good stitch.

            If I had that lens I'd use 3 around to make the stitching
            easier. But the images from it look good to me.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
              Ken,

              in the meanwhile I managed to install Hugin and related tools on my Ubuntu
              PC.

              I then followed
              http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/enfuse-360/en.shtml
              with no success.

              Always got a message like "one redundant image skipped".

              What did you use for yaw, roll, pitch?

              Anyone to provide a step-by step how-to to a Hugin dummie?

              Thanks,
              Jan

              Data for the Canon lens according to
              http://www.superfisheye.com/SuperFisheye-Lens-Kit-Canon?sc=1&category=-101

              Focal length 5.6mm
              Fixed aperture F/5.6, optimized for both indoor and outdoor uses.
              185° field of view
              Image circle: ~14.5mm
              Fixed focus with a depth of field: ~0.5m to infinity with one pixel blur
              (Calculate the depth of field for other blur circle).
              Size: ~70mmx90mm (dia x length)
              Weight: ~470g
              Mount: Canon (SuperFisheye on Canon 40D).

              On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

              > I did a quick try at stitching the two Sunnex images
              > at the pool. I got a good stitch which suprised me because
              > my stitching skills are modest at best.
              >
              > PTGui couldn't find control points so I added a few by
              > hand. Adding control points by hand was real hard with so
              > little overlap but I did manage to add a few.
              >
              > Cropping was difficult because it's hard to tell where
              > the crop circle should go at the bottom and around the
              > edges because the background is black and the fall off
              > at the edges of the image just sort of blurs into the
              > background.
              >
              > I set the lens FOV to 185 and set the yaw, roll, pitch
              > parameters to what the ideal settings should be and got
              > a good stitch.
              >
              > If I had that lens I'd use 3 around to make the stitching
              > easier. But the images from it look good to me.
              >

              > Thomas Demolliens wrote:
              > > Hi Jan
              > >
              > > See my comments below.
              > >
              > > Kind regards,
              > > Thomas
              > >

              > >>I just stumbled about the Sunex super fisheye lenses with a Field of
              > >
              > > View
              > >
              > >>(FOV) greater then 180 degrees for just 99 USD:
              > >>
              > >>http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_fisheye.asp
              > >>
              > >>Namely these two lenses:
              > >>DSL216A
              > >>DSL215B
              > >><http://www.optics-online.com/Detail.asp?PN=DSL216A>
              > >

              > > The two lenses you mention are mini fisheye designed mainly for security
              > > applications.
              > > They are different from the superfisheye designed for Canon APS-C or
              > > Nikon DX format DSLRs (see http://www.superfisheye.com)
              > >

              > >>They even provide unaltered sample pictures taken with their super
              > >
              > > fisheye
              > >
              > >>lenses:
              > >>http://www.sunex.com/dslr/files/2shots.zip
              > >

              > > This was done with the superfisheye @ $799.
              > >

              > >>And what the resulting 360 degree panorama should look like (Swimming
              > >
              > > pool
              > >
              > >>example):
              > >>http://www.sunex.com/dslr/virtualtour.htm
              > >

              > > This was done with the superfisheye @ $799.
              > >

              > >>Unfortunately I have no experience with Hugin.
              > >>Anyone fancy to give it a try and tell about it in detail?
              > >

              > > Sorry, I used PTGui and AutoPano Pro, no experience with Hugin.

            • Jim Watters
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
                Do you have a camera picked out to use these small lenses?
                If you are going to try two cameras back to back panoramas, I would go
                for as much resolution as possible.
                Maybe the DSL215 with a 1/2-inch sensor.

                For an inexpensive camera consider a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. It has
                a 1/3-inch image sensor and depending on the exact model supports raw
                bayer pattern streaming. It should work with the DSL216
                http://www.quickcamteam.net/devices/logitech_uvc_device_feature_list_by_feature.pdf
                You will also need to replace the mount on the camera with a M12.

                The max transfer is 48 MB/sec per USB2.0 host.
                Expect max transfer rates using raw data around
                12 fps for 2048X1536
                20 fps for 1600X1200

                I believe the fastest speeds will be with Gigabit Ethernet cameras.

                I have done some experimenting with the DSL209 and DSL219 using older
                Logitech cameras.
                http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html

                I am using Hugin and Panotools to batch process the images. I am still
                working out the exact process. I will be documenting it, once I have a
                comfortable work flow.

                At some point in the near future we will replace the current cameras,
                but right now I want to perfect the work flow.

                Jim Watters

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
                  > Step 1: Get PTGui...
                  +1
                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
                    Step 1: Get PTGui...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
                      PTGui has no Linux version.

                      Also I'd like to provide a ready-to-run virtual machine based on Ubuntu
                      Linux with all the tools needed for my www.DIYstreetview.org project
                      somewhere in the future.

                      Therefore I cannot use Windows programs at all.

                      Thanks for the suggestion.

                      Anyone for a Hugin step-by-step Howto?

                      Jan

                      On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Thomas Demolliens <bemol73@...>wrote:

                      > > Step 1: Get PTGui...
                      > +1

                    • John Houghton
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:

                        > Anyone for a Hugin step-by-step Howto?

                        I obtained a good stitch of the two images, but it would be difficult to describe all the steps taken in Hugin for a newbie. It's actually quite tricky to get the paving stones undistorted at the nadir because of the small overlap. Really, you need some good lens parameters from a stitch of 3 images where there is adequate overlap for the optimizer to evaluate the lens parameters accurately. Otherwise, you have to make do with straightening the lines of the paving with various line control points, but there are complications because the t1/t2/t3 points don't generally work on an equirectangular stitch.

                        I've emailed a copy of the project file to Jan, so that the panorama can at least be be generated with Hugin.

                        John
                      • Ken Warner
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
                          John,

                          Were you able to make the paving stones square? In my stitch they
                          are rhombohedral. Not by much. And one or two of the seams don't quite
                          match but are very close. But I didn't try hard to make it perfect
                          because I don't think I can.

                          Ken

                          John Houghton wrote:
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >>Anyone for a Hugin step-by-step Howto?
                          >>

                          > I obtained a good stitch of the two images, but it would be difficult to describe all the steps taken in Hugin for a newbie. It's actually quite tricky to get the paving stones undistorted at the nadir because of the small overlap. Really, you need some good lens parameters from a stitch of 3 images where there is adequate overlap for the optimizer to evaluate the lens parameters accurately. Otherwise, you have to make do with straightening the lines of the paving with various line control points, but there are complications because the t1/t2/t3 points don't generally work on an equirectangular stitch.
                          >
                          > I've emailed a copy of the project file to Jan, so that the panorama can at least be be generated with Hugin.
                          >
                          > John

                        • panovrx
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Demolliens" <bemol73@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Jan
                            >
                            > See my comments below.
                            >
                            > Kind regards,
                            > Thomas
                            >

                            > > I just stumbled about the Sunex super fisheye lenses with a Field of
                            > View
                            > > (FOV) greater then 180 degrees for just 99 USD:
                            > >
                            > > http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_fisheye.asp
                            > >
                            > > Namely these two lenses:
                            > > DSL216A
                            > > DSL215B
                            > > <http://www.optics-online.com/Detail.asp?PN=DSL216A>
                            >
                            > The two lenses you mention are mini fisheye designed mainly for security
                            > applications.
                            > They are different from the superfisheye designed for Canon APS-C or
                            > Nikon DX format DSLRs (see http://www.superfisheye.com)

                            Here is a pic made with the Sunex DSL219 on a hacked Aiptek A-HD+
                            http://www.mediavr.com/aiptek2.jpg

                            If you want a high quality 1/4" to 1/2" sensor fisheye you should look at the Fujinon fisheyes

                            cf.
                            http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/74194

                            Peter M
                          • Jan Martin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009
                              John,
                              everybody,

                              After having a look at the settings that came up in Hugin when loading your
                              project file I am convinced I'd never been able to do it myself.

                              And I didn't knew about the problems caused from just 2 shots.

                              Sunex does indeed offer a 3 shot version of the exact same motive (3 MB each
                              picture):
                              http://www.sunex.com/dslr/files/3shots.zip

                              As well as Canon 40D RAW files for both 2 and 3 shots (10 MB each picture):
                              http://www.sunex.com/dslr/files/poolraw.zip

                              All to be found at the bottom of:
                              http://www.sunex.com/dslr/virtualtour.htm

                              It would be nice to compare project files and results.
                              Again, I couldn't get it to work.
                              But croping and control points generation works.
                              So a bit closer.

                              Also I just changed the settings at the www.DIYstreetview.org forum to allow
                              larger and more attachments per posting.

                              A testposting using 3 MB jpg file went well.
                              Larger files might fail due to timeout, not because of the filesize.

                              Be sure to have a local copy of the text of your posting when trying to
                              upload large files in the same posting!

                              Fire away gentlemen.
                              The "Alternative Cameras" forum over at www.DIYstreetview.org is yours:

                              http://diystreetview.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

                              Jan

                              On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM, John Houghton <j.houghton@...>wrote:

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Jan
                              > Martin <janmartin3@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Anyone for a Hugin step-by-step Howto?
                              > >
                              > I obtained a good stitch of the two images, but it would be difficult to
                              > describe all the steps taken in Hugin for a newbie. It's actually quite
                              > tricky to get the paving stones undistorted at the nadir because of the
                              > small overlap. Really, you need some good lens parameters from a stitch of 3
                              > images where there is adequate overlap for the optimizer to evaluate the
                              > lens parameters accurately. Otherwise, you have to make do with
                              > straightening the lines of the paving with various line control points, but
                              > there are complications because the t1/t2/t3 points don't generally work on
                              > an equirectangular stitch.
                              >
                              > I've emailed a copy of the project file to Jan, so that the panorama can at
                              > least be be generated with Hugin.
                              >
                              > John

                            • John Houghton
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 21, 2009

                                > John,
                                >
                                > Were you able to make the paving stones square?

                                Yes. What I did was to use the numerical transform option to temporarily make the output panorama a rectilinear view of the nadir, so that you can optimize with t1/t2/tn points on the lines of the paving stones. Then return the output view to normal and generate the panorama.

                                John
                              • Ken Warner
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 22, 2009
                                  Very clever. I'll try that. One thing I noticed in my effort
                                  was that optimizing the FOV resulted in a 196 degree FOV. And
                                  if I force it to 185 (the supposed FOV of the Sunnex) everthing
                                  gets distorted. Any idea how to get around the FOV problem. I
                                  think that's why the paving stones get distorted.

                                  John Houghton wrote:
                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >>John,
                                  >>
                                  >>Were you able to make the paving stones square?
                                  >

                                  > Yes. What I did was to use the numerical transform option to temporarily make the output panorama a rectilinear view of the nadir, so that you can optimize with t1/t2/tn points on the lines of the paving stones. Then return the output view to normal and generate the panorama.
                                  >
                                  > John

                                • John Houghton
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 22, 2009

                                    > One thing I noticed in my effort was that optimizing the FOV resulted
                                    > in a 196 degree FOV. And if I force it to 185 (the supposed FOV of
                                    > the Sunnex) everthing gets distorted. Any idea how to get around the
                                    > FOV problem.

                                    Calibrate the lens, then apply the lens parameters (and crop) to the 2shot images via a template. Assign some cps and optimize y,p,r of one image together with the lens Fov and shift parameters. When I tried this by first stitching the 3shot set to evaluate lens parameters (not necessarily ideal calibration), I got 184.4 as the FOV. This will depend to some extent on the crop circle chosen. The paving was properly rendered too - and without using line control points! I did use my usual PTGui rather than Hugin for this exercise.

                                    John