Re: [PanoToolsNG] New Stitching Software

  • mrjimbo
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2009
      Roger..
      FYI... The issue you pointed out is a solvable issue but it will require a second step. Their is a fella that developed an incredible piece of software that will remove an object or person in the scene once you set some boundries for it.. I remember seeing examples of it being used. Adobe, bought it and as I understand it is further developing it at this time.

      jimbo

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2009
        Sometime around 3/7/09 (at 08:10 -0600) mrjimbo said:

        >Their is a fella that developed an incredible piece of software that
        >will remove an object or person in the scene once you set some
        >boundries for it..

        Of course, it cannot do anything but fake the missing part of the
        image. No matter how good it is there will be cases where it creates
        an incorrect final result, much like the old, old story from when
        monochrome prints were hand-painted to produce faux colour photos. In
        one picture, postboxes were painted red, but they were in Ireland and
        should have been green. Probably apocryphal, but an amusing
        cautionary tale regarding faking stuff in photography.

      • Jan Martin
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2009
          Keith,

          I did understand that the program needs a few pictures of the same motive
          and then will compare them and use only those parts of images with not
          tourist on them to create the final picture.

          So no "guessing", just recombining of intelligently picked parts of of real
          pictures.

          Jan

          On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

          > Sometime around 3/7/09 (at 08:10 -0600) mrjimbo said:
          >
          > >Their is a fella that developed an incredible piece of software that
          > >will remove an object or person in the scene once you set some
          > >boundries for it..
          >
          > Of course, it cannot do anything but fake the missing part of the
          > image. No matter how good it is there will be cases where it creates
          > an incorrect final result, much like the old, old story from when
          > monochrome prints were hand-painted to produce faux colour photos. In
          > one picture, postboxes were painted red, but they were in Ireland and
          > should have been green. Probably apocryphal, but an amusing
          > cautionary tale regarding faking stuff in photography.

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2009
            Sometime around 4/7/09 (at 13:33 +0200) Jan Martin said:

            >I did understand that the program needs a few pictures of the same motive
            >and then will compare them and use only those parts of images with not
            >tourist on them to create the final picture.

            Oh, absolutely, as long as there is a total of 100% of the desired
            area visible somewhere across the collection of photos. If not, then
            nothing will produce the goods.

            BTW, Photoshop's Photomerge has been able do this task since CS3, and
            it can be done in Photoshop Elements 7.
            http://creativetechs.com/tipsblog/remove-unwanted-people-from-public-photos/
            http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1324791&seqNum=4

          • paul womack
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6, 2009
              mrjimbo wrote:
              > Their is a fella that developed an incredible piece of software that will remove an object or person in the scene once you set some boundries for it.

              "Tourist Remover"

              http://www.snapmania.com/info/en/trm/index.html

              BugBear
            • RobLee
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6, 2009
                do you have to work online and upload your images to use this tool?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2009
                  Sometime around 6/7/09 (at 09:44 -0700) RobLee said:

                  >do you have to work online and upload your images to use this tool?

                  Yep. Also, each photo cannot exceed 8MB, the free storage service
                  tops out at 2GB, and this is from the license agreement:

                  >"The user irrevocably confers to the Company all rights with respect
                  >to the data that the user transfers to the Company or its systems
                  >which are necessary for the Company to be able to offer the Service
                  >and which are necessary for implementation of these terms and
                  >conditions."

                  I've seen worse, and this item from the FAQ is reassuring:

                  >What if I want my originals back?
                  >No problem. They are your photos. [etc...]

                  but I'm still steering well clear of it.