Re: [PanoToolsNG] Buying or not? 360 degree one-shot camera for 1100 USD

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
      Jan Martin wrote:
      > Congratulations Jim!

      Thank you.

      > Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
      > http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
      > gave up on.

      Yes I have been following Bills creations and adventures for a long time.

      > I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens
      > mount and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.
      > Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for
      > when doing it again?

      Yes my next version might be that. Inexpensive was the current plan.
      Already had the web-cams.
      The Ladybug3 has 6 cameras that does 1600X1200 (2MP) at 15 fps
      compressed or 6.5 fps uncompressed using Firewire.
      The biggest gain in image size and speed will be with USB3 or gigabit
      eithernet, or saving to camera local memory.
      The cameras I am using are a combination of 4MP and 5MP but capturing
      compressed video is limited to 15 fps at 960X720.

      PointGrey does sell the cameras used in the Ladybug separately.
      Or something like this http://www.vrmagic.com/en/news_img/
      When I ordered the fisheye lenses to use with my setup I did not
      consider the position of the NPP of the lens. The Sunex DSL209A would
      make a tighter configuration, particularly on a 1/2" CCD sensor.
      http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL219.PDF
      There are the open hardware cameras, Elphel
      http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg
      http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

      Jim Watters
      > Jan
      >
      > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:
      >
      >> I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
      >> I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
      >> http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
      >>
      >> Jim Watters
      >>
      >> http://photocreations.ca
      >>

      >> Jan Martin wrote:
      >>
      >>> I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
      >>> take a panos every 1 second.
      >>> From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
      >>> Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
      >>>
      >>> Thanks,
      >>> Jan
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
        Jan Martin wrote:

        > http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
        >
        > Also nice overview on all the different panorama technologies available
        > right now.

        Nice overview, but what they write about details and drawbacks of some
        technologies is at least partly bullshit, f.e. they write: "Reflection
        off a nonplanar mirror is, in general, blurred because each perceived
        image point is actually an image of an extended region in space"

        This sentence contradicts itself, since if there is a point in the image
        it means the image is sharp. Whether this point is a larger area in
        reality is a question of resolution. It is true that the image in a
        curved mirror appears very small, but this applies to fisheyes as well.

        They write: "Single camera looking out through a fisheye lens: Images of
        nearby objects are distorted irretrievably, ..." Well, there are a lot
        of tight spaces sphericals shot with fisheye lenses out there which
        prove this wrong, f.e.: http://worldwidepanorama.org/wwp_rss/go/n3858

        I also don't understand, why a "scene must be well illuminated or slow
        changing" in order to be shot with a fisheye or spherical mirror...

        Obviously the writers of this page didn't learn much since their
        "invention" back in 1995...

        best regards
      • Milo
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
          Jan,

          I was also researching on a multiple camera one shot right. So far just pure research I haven't made any major purchases :)

          the MrotatorR panohead from Agnos can hold 3 cropped frame cameras tilted at 60 degrees. Download the examples, like the one in the gondola. But it seems you have to put this very high on your car.

          http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_lingua=ENG&v_iss_web=0000000009070301403151786994&v_categ_lista=P0000-P0005-P0509&v_cod_art_scheda=MROTATORRPE

          This link was sent by Phil Warner. There's a photo of a rig with 4 cameras. But this one was used on a helicopter. google aerial view?lol

          http://www.aplanding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2175

          We had a similar thread in the krpano forums

          http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=935

          Cheers,
          Milo