Re: [PanoToolsNG] Elevated pano help

  • Eduardo Hutter
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
      > Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
      > stand and a centre column tripod.

      Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?

      > It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
      > more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?

      Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
      which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
      hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
      indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
      holes on his floor. :)

      http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
        On 7/2/2009 7:20 AM, Eduardo Hutter's hamster got loose on the keyboard
        and typed ...:
        >> Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
        >> stand and a centre column tripod.
        >
        > Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?
        >
        >> It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
        >> more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?
        >
        > Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
        > which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
        > hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
        > indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
        > holes on his floor. :)

        Use shot bags or small sand bags (shot bags are better on a weight to
        volume basis).

        > http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
          On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Robert Slade
          <robert@...>wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I've been requested to create a 360x180 virtual tour of a factory
          > assembly area. It consists of rows of desks where workers sit and
          > assemble electronic components. From ground level, all of the desks are
          > at the same height. The best viewpoint will be three or four metres
          > above the ground.
          > I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would the
          > pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow shutter speed?

          I did this one at 7.5 meters high
          It's a light stand that I adapt a home made pole solution :-)
          light was very low.

          <http://digg.com/u17FTp>

          best
          AYRTON

          > A cherry picker would have a guard rail which would interfere with the
          > image.
          >
          > A scaffold platform at that height would be too dangerous to stand on
          > without any safety rails.
          >
          > I'd be grateful for any suggestions!
          >
          > Regards,
          > Robert
          >
          > --
          > Robert Slade, Photographer
          > Manor Photography 07890 564889
          > http://www.manor-photography.com

        • Robert Slade
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 3, 2009
            Thanks Eduardo, my stand is very similar to the Manfrotto 7.3m version
            except it is only 3m in maximum height. This is enough for my application.

            It wasn't very steady at maximum elevation, so I dismantled the lower
            column and inserted it into a Manfrotto centre column tripod. Now it has
            three very stable legs (about 5ft high when spread) and another (approx)
            2.5m above this.

            Since it's a one off job, and indoors, I will probably just wait for the
            swaying motion to die down before releasing the shutter (using Canon
            LC-4 remote control).

            Regards,
            Rob