Re: Making Large Images Work in Pano2VR

  • Paul Fretheim
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
      Which version of pano2vr are you using? 2.2.3
      What format are your original images? tif or jpeg I start with tif and
      if I run into problems try jpeg too.
      What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama? PtGui
      latest pro version, I have auto updates turned on.
      What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif? 8 bit. I convert from 16
      bit just before inputting to Pano2VR.

      What interpolation filter do you use in Pano2VR? I use Lanczos 3

      > I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to
      > use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.
      >
      > Hans
      I would disagree that it is ridiculous to at least have a need for a
      means of displaying panoramic images of this size. I have a legitimate
      reason for wanting to provide my customers with a sharp clean image that
      they can navigate theough which allows them to view the features of the
      scene in the detail that my camera and stitching software can capture.
      In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
      possible with VR photography. I am going to explore the capabilities of
      krpano and in the future try it for the images that need to be displayed
      at very high resolutions.

      Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
      the Pano2VR forum. The Pano2VR web site has an awkward way of allowing
      posting that left me unsure of where to make a request for technical
      assistance.
    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
        Quoting Paul Fretheim <paul@...>:

        > In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
        > possible with VR photography.
        <cough>

        > I am going to explore the capabilities of
        > krpano and in the future try it for the images that need to be displayed
        > at very high resolutions.
        >
        > Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
        > the Pano2VR forum.

        don't have much hope of you understanding the xml then.

        mick

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
          If you have Java 1.6.14 properly installed and are using Firefox 3
          as your browser and have a fast graphics card, you can show larger
          than a 11520 cylinder -- MAYBE!!! It would be an interesting experiment.

          Email me directly at kwarner000 (at) verizon (dot) net if you want to
          try something completely useless.

          Paul Fretheim wrote:

          > Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
          > the Pano2VR forum. The Pano2VR web site has an awkward way of allowing
          > posting that left me unsure of where to make a request for technical
          > assistance.

          http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

            > Which version of pano2vr are you using? 2.2.3
            > What format are your original images? tif or jpeg I start with tif and
            > if I run into problems try jpeg too.
            > What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama? PtGui
            > latest pro version, I have auto updates turned on.
            > What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif? 8 bit. I convert from 16
            > bit just before inputting to Pano2VR.
            >
            > What interpolation filter do you use in Pano2VR? I use Lanczos 3
            >

            > > I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to
            > > use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.
            > >
            > > Hans
            > I would disagree that it is ridiculous to at least have a need for a
            > means of displaying panoramic images of this size. I have a legitimate
            > reason for wanting to provide my customers with a sharp clean image that
            > they can navigate theough which allows them to view the features of the
            > scene in the detail that my camera and stitching software can capture.
            > In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
            > possible with VR photography. I am going to explore the capabilities of
            > krpano and in the future try it for the images that need to be displayed
            > at very high resolutions.
            >
            > Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
            > the Pano2VR forum. The Pano2VR web site has an awkward way of allowing
            > posting that left me unsure of where to make a request for technical
            > assistance.

            I can understand that you want to show VR in this size but as you have been using Quicktime for years you must be aware of that there are limits for size.
            You have claimed that you want to use CD because also old computers without DVD should be able to use them.

            I find that very contra to what you do now.

            There is no way you can show a QTVR at the size you want on a computer from the CD area. It requirers more than 1.2 gigabyte ram and much more speed than the 500 mHz which was the standard before DVD was introduced.
            You have to go 9 years back to the time when CD was the only possible media.

            Hans
          • Paul Fretheim
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
              With my newer products DVD is fine. It's just that I have several
              thousands of dollars of packaging for my existing products that
              describes the product as being on CD and I am concerned that people will
              purchase the product expecting a CD inside and getting angry when it's
              actually on DVD and won't work in their computers. Maybe this need not
              be of concern due to the installed base of DVD capable optical drives.
              At any rate I made some adjustments to my Grand Canyon product and it is
              out now on CD in a Flash based format.

              Instead of writing back questioning my intellect it would be more useful
              if someone told me how to request technical assistance at the Pano2vr
              site. I don't think the site makes it clear how to do this.

              Maybe something is lost in the language translation from German. I know
              the translations of Hegel could get pretty ugly when I was a philosophy
              student.

              Paul Fretheim
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:22:27 +0900, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                > Maybe something is lost in the language translation from German. I know
                > the translations of Hegel could get pretty ugly when I was a philosophy
                > student.

                Hi, Paul.

                GOOD translations of Hegel into English are pretty ugly, too. <grin>

                Roger W

                --
                Work: www.adex-japan.com
              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                  On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                  > Instead of writing back questioning my intellect it would be more useful
                  > if someone told me how to request technical assistance at the Pano2vr
                  > site. I don't think the site makes it clear how to do this.
                  > Maybe something is lost in the language translation from German.

                  Paul
                  I'm from Brazil, and my native langage is Portuguese
                  I got so curious about your problem that I went to pano2vr website
                  I click on the forum at the left menu and it shows me the english forum !!!

                  What you don't understand ???

                  It is like all other forums ....
                  you register yourself
                  get a username and a password
                  then you write on the forum whatever yo want to know, posting a question
                  there ...

                  People will answer you back if they fell like having time and patience to
                  explain something to you ...
                  If they answer you'll be able to read it ...
                  And that's it !!!

                  Sorry if I don't get it what YOU don't get it :-)

                  best
                  AYRTON

                  I know
                  > the translations of Hegel could get pretty ugly when I was a philosophy
                  > student.
                  >
                  > Paul Fretheim

                • Roger D. Williams
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                    On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:22:27 +0900, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                    > With my newer products DVD is fine. It's just that I have several
                    > thousands of dollars of packaging for my existing products that
                    > describes the product as being on CD and I am concerned that people will
                    > purchase the product expecting a CD inside and getting angry when it's
                    > actually on DVD and won't work in their computers. Maybe this need not
                    > be of concern due to the installed base of DVD capable optical drives.
                    > At any rate I made some adjustments to my Grand Canyon product and it is
                    > out now on CD in a Flash based format.

                    Paul, I had a similar problem with labeling in several thousand dollars
                    worth of packaging materials following a change in the law here in Japan,
                    and my solution was a small and relatively inexpensive sticky label. I
                    imagine you could get one that says "CD upgraded to DVD at no extra cost"
                    or something else that might be more appropriate.

                    Roger W.

                    --
                    Work: www.adex-japan.com
                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                      Well this is the third time I've given you a link to their forums which
                      is where you should ask you questions. One wonders....

                    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                        Quoting Paul Fretheim <paul@...>:

                        > Instead of writing back questioning my intellect it would be more useful
                        > if someone told me how to request technical assistance at the Pano2vr
                        > site. I don't think the site makes it clear how to do this.

                        I'm sorry but when you make a statement like

                        > In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
                        > possible with VR photography.

                        because you want to use a big input file you can expect a ribbing ;-)

                        regards

                        mck

                      • Jeffrey Martin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009

                          > Re: Making Large Images Work in Pano2VR
                          >
                          > Posted by: "Paul Fretheim" paul@...   inyopro
                          >
                          > Thu Jul 2, 2009 6:03 am (PDT)
                          >
                          > > I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to
                          > > use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.
                          > >
                          > > Hans
                          > I would disagree that it is ridiculous to at least have a need for a
                          > means of displaying panoramic images of this size. I have a legitimate
                          > reason for wanting to provide my customers with a sharp clean image that

                          I have a number of gigapixel images that are in Flash. The largest are
                          65536x32768. They load the same speed as 'normal' panos. I think it
                          would be ridiculous NOT to be able to make huge panos available in
                          Flash :-)

                          I'm on a train now and have no net access - but if you go to
                          www.360cities.net/search/gigapixel you should find some of my very
                          large images there.

                          If anyone wants to show "huge" panos somewhere, one option is to
                          publish it via 360cities and use the free embedding.

                          Jeffrey Martin
                          tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
                        • Paul Fretheim
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                            You are correct. This is the place I am complaining about. If someone
                            spends $20 to purchase one of my products and then has trouble making it
                            work and they go to my web site seeking help and choose to send an email
                            it comes to my mailbox and I answer the question and work with the
                            customer and even offer to call them until we get the problem fixed.

                            I look at the page that link sends me to and I don't see where I get
                            good service like that. Also, I have posted at these forums and
                            received no help at all and no answer at all. You don't have to have
                            that happen very often and the entire thing looks like a waste of time.

                            For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                            the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                            get help from MicroSoft.

                            Paul Fretheim

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                              > You are correct. This is the place I am complaining about. If someone
                              > spends $20 to purchase one of my products and then has trouble making it
                              > work and they go to my web site seeking help and choose to send an email
                              > it comes to my mailbox and I answer the question and work with the
                              > customer and even offer to call them until we get the problem fixed.
                              >
                              > I look at the page that link sends me to and I don't see where I get
                              > good service like that. Also, I have posted at these forums and
                              > received no help at all and no answer at all. You don't have to have
                              > that happen very often and the entire thing looks like a waste of time.
                              >
                              > For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                              > the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                              > get help from MicroSoft.

                              Paul

                              You obviously seems to just close your eyes for the answers you get.

                              I have 2 times at least explained to you that there are limits for sizes of the images used in Flash. (not just panoramas but images in general)
                              Pano2VR decreases the size to the maximum allowed by Flash.

                              I am not going to tell you everything once again.

                              The only crossplatform solution you can use currently for very large interactive immersive panoramas in flash is KRPano. KRpano uses special tiling of the images just like Zoomify and that means that you just load the tiles you need for the visible window.

                              This can not be done in one single swf file currently.
                              There might be other similar solutions on the way from FPP but I do not think you get it in Pano2VR .

                              And by the way Thomas answered you 1 year ago with the same answers I have given you.

                              Hans
                            • Robert Slade
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                Paul Fretheim wrote:

                                > For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                                > the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                                > get help from MicroSoft.

                                You could look at this thread which seems to answer your question:

                                http://tinyurl.com/nxka8y

                                I use krpano to achieve the results you desire.

                                Regards,
                                Robert

                                --
                                Robert Slade, Photographer
                                Manor Photography 07890 564889
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                  On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Robert Slade
                                  <robert@...>wrote:

                                  > Paul Fretheim wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                                  > > the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                                  > > get help from MicroSoft.
                                  >
                                  > You could look at this thread which seems to answer your question:
                                  >
                                  > http://tinyurl.com/nxka8y

                                  :-)

                                  it is a msg from PAUL !!!!
                                  :-)