Re: Control Nikon from Mac?

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Volker Fischer <v-fischer@...> wrote:

      > Hans Nyberg schrieb:
      > >

      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Is gphoto2 not available on Mac OS X?
      > > >
      > > > CU Lars.
      > > >

      > > Commandline software?
      > > Uff!
      > >
      > > You do not know much about commercial photographers.
      > > Most of us hate these things.
      > >
      > > Hans
      >
      > gtkam is a gui/frontend for gphoto2

      Checked it
      Not really what I call userfriendly.
      Most Mac users will never be able to figure out how to install it and get it working.

      Hans
    • Rodolpho Pajuaba
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
        Don't know if this was already mentioned:
        http://stefan.hafeneger.name/2009/02/18/nikon-control-beta-1/
        Regards,
        Rodolpho Pajuaba

        2009/7/2 Hans Nyberg <hans@...>:

        > Checked it
        > Not really what I call userfriendly.
        > Most Mac users will never be able to figure out how to install it and get it working.
        >
        > Hans
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Rodolpho Pajuaba <rpajuaba@...> wrote:

          > Don't know if this was already mentioned:
          > http://stefan.hafeneger.name/2009/02/18/nikon-control-beta-1/
          > Regards,
          > Rodolpho Pajuaba

          Yes thats what I linked to.
          Here is the actual website, http://www.sofortbildapp.com/

          Looks like a very young developer.
          I have downloaded it but discovered that I need Leopard.

          Hans

          > 2009/7/2 Hans Nyberg <hans@...>:
          >

          > > Checked it
          > > Not really what I call userfriendly.
          > > Most Mac users will never be able to figure out how to install it and get it working.
          > >
          > > Hans

        • Lars O. Grobe
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
            >> Is gphoto2 not available on Mac OS X?
            (...)
            > Commandline software?
            > Uff!
            >
            > You do not know much about commercial photographers.
            > Most of us hate these things.
            >
            > Hans

            I guess it depends on how you define commercial photographers ;-) The
            set-up sounds quite advanced to me, far beyond what someone who is
            somewhat intuitively handling a camera is working with. And we are on a
            panorama-list. So if you e.g. want to have a automatic process of
            capturing from four cameras and assembling this into a panoramic
            projection, being command-line would be a requirement, not a drawback
            for software. A GUI software set-up would require you to repeat the
            exactly same mouseclicks every time you want to shoot and assemble. I am
            sure in such a use-case, any commercially working photographer would
            "hate these thing". ;-) So I guess the problem here is that we do not
            really know what you want to do.

            Cheers, Lars.
          • Rodolpho Pajuaba
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
              Thank you, Hans, The one I sent was the only I had, and I hadn't
              clicked on the links everyone sent.
              Regards,
              Rodolpho Pajuaba

              2009/7/2 Hans Nyberg <hans@...>:

              > Yes thats what I linked to.
              > Here is the actual website, http://www.sofortbildapp.com/
              >
              > Looks like a very young developer.
              > I have downloaded it but discovered that I need Leopard.
              >
              > Hans

            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
                Sometime around 3/7/09 (at 01:43 +0800) Lars O. Grobe said:

                >if you e.g. want to have a automatic process of
                >capturing from four cameras and assembling this into a panoramic
                >projection, being command-line would be a requirement, not a drawback
                >for software. A GUI software set-up would require you to repeat the
                >exactly same mouseclicks every time you want to shoot and assemble.

                Not necessarily - it all depends on what features the GUI was
                designed to make available. It could be that a GUI would offer the
                ability to control 'N' cameras with the same visually-picked
                settings, simply driving the command line behind the scenes. (As so
                many GUIs do, in fact.)