Re: Making Large Images Work in Pano2VR

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009

      > Sometime around 2/7/09 (at 00:59 +0000) Dave 360texas.com said:
      >
      > >Which version of pano2vr are you using?
      > >What format are your original images?
      > >What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama?
      > >What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif?
      >
      > Also, what interpolator is set (as fiero asked),
      > and what JPEG compression setting is used?

      According to his last post about this a couple of weeks ago
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/30061

      he uses the last version 2.2.3 which has the restriction to 2880x2880.

      I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.

      Hans
    • Paul Fretheim
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
        Which version of pano2vr are you using? 2.2.3
        What format are your original images? tif or jpeg I start with tif and
        if I run into problems try jpeg too.
        What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama? PtGui
        latest pro version, I have auto updates turned on.
        What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif? 8 bit. I convert from 16
        bit just before inputting to Pano2VR.

        What interpolation filter do you use in Pano2VR? I use Lanczos 3

        > I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to
        > use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.
        >
        > Hans
        I would disagree that it is ridiculous to at least have a need for a
        means of displaying panoramic images of this size. I have a legitimate
        reason for wanting to provide my customers with a sharp clean image that
        they can navigate theough which allows them to view the features of the
        scene in the detail that my camera and stitching software can capture.
        In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
        possible with VR photography. I am going to explore the capabilities of
        krpano and in the future try it for the images that need to be displayed
        at very high resolutions.

        Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
        the Pano2VR forum. The Pano2VR web site has an awkward way of allowing
        posting that left me unsure of where to make a request for technical
        assistance.
      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
          Quoting Paul Fretheim <paul@...>:

          > In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
          > possible with VR photography.
          <cough>

          > I am going to explore the capabilities of
          > krpano and in the future try it for the images that need to be displayed
          > at very high resolutions.
          >
          > Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
          > the Pano2VR forum.

          don't have much hope of you understanding the xml then.

          mick

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
            If you have Java 1.6.14 properly installed and are using Firefox 3
            as your browser and have a fast graphics card, you can show larger
            than a 11520 cylinder -- MAYBE!!! It would be an interesting experiment.

            Email me directly at kwarner000 (at) verizon (dot) net if you want to
            try something completely useless.

            Paul Fretheim wrote:

            > Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
            > the Pano2VR forum. The Pano2VR web site has an awkward way of allowing
            > posting that left me unsure of where to make a request for technical
            > assistance.

            http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

              > Which version of pano2vr are you using? 2.2.3
              > What format are your original images? tif or jpeg I start with tif and
              > if I run into problems try jpeg too.
              > What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama? PtGui
              > latest pro version, I have auto updates turned on.
              > What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif? 8 bit. I convert from 16
              > bit just before inputting to Pano2VR.
              >
              > What interpolation filter do you use in Pano2VR? I use Lanczos 3
              >

              > > I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to
              > > use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.
              > >
              > > Hans
              > I would disagree that it is ridiculous to at least have a need for a
              > means of displaying panoramic images of this size. I have a legitimate
              > reason for wanting to provide my customers with a sharp clean image that
              > they can navigate theough which allows them to view the features of the
              > scene in the detail that my camera and stitching software can capture.
              > In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
              > possible with VR photography. I am going to explore the capabilities of
              > krpano and in the future try it for the images that need to be displayed
              > at very high resolutions.
              >
              > Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
              > the Pano2VR forum. The Pano2VR web site has an awkward way of allowing
              > posting that left me unsure of where to make a request for technical
              > assistance.

              I can understand that you want to show VR in this size but as you have been using Quicktime for years you must be aware of that there are limits for size.
              You have claimed that you want to use CD because also old computers without DVD should be able to use them.

              I find that very contra to what you do now.

              There is no way you can show a QTVR at the size you want on a computer from the CD area. It requirers more than 1.2 gigabyte ram and much more speed than the 500 mHz which was the standard before DVD was introduced.
              You have to go 9 years back to the time when CD was the only possible media.

              Hans
            • Paul Fretheim
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                With my newer products DVD is fine. It's just that I have several
                thousands of dollars of packaging for my existing products that
                describes the product as being on CD and I am concerned that people will
                purchase the product expecting a CD inside and getting angry when it's
                actually on DVD and won't work in their computers. Maybe this need not
                be of concern due to the installed base of DVD capable optical drives.
                At any rate I made some adjustments to my Grand Canyon product and it is
                out now on CD in a Flash based format.

                Instead of writing back questioning my intellect it would be more useful
                if someone told me how to request technical assistance at the Pano2vr
                site. I don't think the site makes it clear how to do this.

                Maybe something is lost in the language translation from German. I know
                the translations of Hegel could get pretty ugly when I was a philosophy
                student.

                Paul Fretheim
              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                  On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:22:27 +0900, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                  > Maybe something is lost in the language translation from German. I know
                  > the translations of Hegel could get pretty ugly when I was a philosophy
                  > student.

                  Hi, Paul.

                  GOOD translations of Hegel into English are pretty ugly, too. <grin>

                  Roger W

                  --
                  Work: www.adex-japan.com
                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                    On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                    > Instead of writing back questioning my intellect it would be more useful
                    > if someone told me how to request technical assistance at the Pano2vr
                    > site. I don't think the site makes it clear how to do this.
                    > Maybe something is lost in the language translation from German.

                    Paul
                    I'm from Brazil, and my native langage is Portuguese
                    I got so curious about your problem that I went to pano2vr website
                    I click on the forum at the left menu and it shows me the english forum !!!

                    What you don't understand ???

                    It is like all other forums ....
                    you register yourself
                    get a username and a password
                    then you write on the forum whatever yo want to know, posting a question
                    there ...

                    People will answer you back if they fell like having time and patience to
                    explain something to you ...
                    If they answer you'll be able to read it ...
                    And that's it !!!

                    Sorry if I don't get it what YOU don't get it :-)

                    best
                    AYRTON

                    I know
                    > the translations of Hegel could get pretty ugly when I was a philosophy
                    > student.
                    >
                    > Paul Fretheim

                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                      On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:22:27 +0900, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                      > With my newer products DVD is fine. It's just that I have several
                      > thousands of dollars of packaging for my existing products that
                      > describes the product as being on CD and I am concerned that people will
                      > purchase the product expecting a CD inside and getting angry when it's
                      > actually on DVD and won't work in their computers. Maybe this need not
                      > be of concern due to the installed base of DVD capable optical drives.
                      > At any rate I made some adjustments to my Grand Canyon product and it is
                      > out now on CD in a Flash based format.

                      Paul, I had a similar problem with labeling in several thousand dollars
                      worth of packaging materials following a change in the law here in Japan,
                      and my solution was a small and relatively inexpensive sticky label. I
                      imagine you could get one that says "CD upgraded to DVD at no extra cost"
                      or something else that might be more appropriate.

                      Roger W.

                      --
                      Work: www.adex-japan.com
                    • Ken Warner
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                        Well this is the third time I've given you a link to their forums which
                        is where you should ask you questions. One wonders....

                      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                          Quoting Paul Fretheim <paul@...>:

                          > Instead of writing back questioning my intellect it would be more useful
                          > if someone told me how to request technical assistance at the Pano2vr
                          > site. I don't think the site makes it clear how to do this.

                          I'm sorry but when you make a statement like

                          > In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
                          > possible with VR photography.

                          because you want to use a big input file you can expect a ribbing ;-)

                          regards

                          mck

                        • Jeffrey Martin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009

                            > Re: Making Large Images Work in Pano2VR
                            >
                            > Posted by: "Paul Fretheim" paul@...   inyopro
                            >
                            > Thu Jul 2, 2009 6:03 am (PDT)
                            >
                            > > I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to
                            > > use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.
                            > >
                            > > Hans
                            > I would disagree that it is ridiculous to at least have a need for a
                            > means of displaying panoramic images of this size. I have a legitimate
                            > reason for wanting to provide my customers with a sharp clean image that

                            I have a number of gigapixel images that are in Flash. The largest are
                            65536x32768. They load the same speed as 'normal' panos. I think it
                            would be ridiculous NOT to be able to make huge panos available in
                            Flash :-)

                            I'm on a train now and have no net access - but if you go to
                            www.360cities.net/search/gigapixel you should find some of my very
                            large images there.

                            If anyone wants to show "huge" panos somewhere, one option is to
                            publish it via 360cities and use the free embedding.

                            Jeffrey Martin
                            tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
                          • Paul Fretheim
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                              You are correct. This is the place I am complaining about. If someone
                              spends $20 to purchase one of my products and then has trouble making it
                              work and they go to my web site seeking help and choose to send an email
                              it comes to my mailbox and I answer the question and work with the
                              customer and even offer to call them until we get the problem fixed.

                              I look at the page that link sends me to and I don't see where I get
                              good service like that. Also, I have posted at these forums and
                              received no help at all and no answer at all. You don't have to have
                              that happen very often and the entire thing looks like a waste of time.

                              For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                              the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                              get help from MicroSoft.

                              Paul Fretheim

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                                > You are correct. This is the place I am complaining about. If someone
                                > spends $20 to purchase one of my products and then has trouble making it
                                > work and they go to my web site seeking help and choose to send an email
                                > it comes to my mailbox and I answer the question and work with the
                                > customer and even offer to call them until we get the problem fixed.
                                >
                                > I look at the page that link sends me to and I don't see where I get
                                > good service like that. Also, I have posted at these forums and
                                > received no help at all and no answer at all. You don't have to have
                                > that happen very often and the entire thing looks like a waste of time.
                                >
                                > For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                                > the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                                > get help from MicroSoft.

                                Paul

                                You obviously seems to just close your eyes for the answers you get.

                                I have 2 times at least explained to you that there are limits for sizes of the images used in Flash. (not just panoramas but images in general)
                                Pano2VR decreases the size to the maximum allowed by Flash.

                                I am not going to tell you everything once again.

                                The only crossplatform solution you can use currently for very large interactive immersive panoramas in flash is KRPano. KRpano uses special tiling of the images just like Zoomify and that means that you just load the tiles you need for the visible window.

                                This can not be done in one single swf file currently.
                                There might be other similar solutions on the way from FPP but I do not think you get it in Pano2VR .

                                And by the way Thomas answered you 1 year ago with the same answers I have given you.

                                Hans
                              • Robert Slade
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                  Paul Fretheim wrote:

                                  > For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                                  > the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                                  > get help from MicroSoft.

                                  You could look at this thread which seems to answer your question:

                                  http://tinyurl.com/nxka8y

                                  I use krpano to achieve the results you desire.

                                  Regards,
                                  Robert

                                  --
                                  Robert Slade, Photographer
                                  Manor Photography 07890 564889
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                    On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Robert Slade
                                    <robert@...>wrote:

                                    > Paul Fretheim wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                                    > > the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                                    > > get help from MicroSoft.
                                    >
                                    > You could look at this thread which seems to answer your question:
                                    >
                                    > http://tinyurl.com/nxka8y

                                    :-)

                                    it is a msg from PAUL !!!!
                                    :-)