Re: [PanoToolsNG] Elevated pano help

  • Willy Kaemena
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 2 1:57 AM
      transplanted hands..,..

      On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:53, Robert Slade wrote:

      > Willy Kaemena wrote:
      >
      > > noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/
      >
      > Hi Willy - sorry, didn't make the connection between the two links
      > initially.
      >
      > That must be you in the platform pano? What big hands you have! ;-)
      >
      > Regards,
      > Rob
      > --
      >
      > > On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:25, Robert Slade wrote:
      > >
      > >> Thanks Willy - I did wonder about the importance of NPP position
      > >> further
      > >> away, the parallax error decreasing with distance. But I've never
      > >> shot a
      > >> pano under these conditions before.
      > >>
      > >> That's an amazing pano of the Olympic Park - taken from a
      > helicopter?
      > >>
      > >> Regards,
      > >> Rob
      > >> --
      >
      > --
      > Robert Slade, Photographer
      > Manor Photography 07890 564889
      > http://www.manor-photography.com

    • Eduardo Hutter
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2 7:20 AM
        > Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
        > stand and a centre column tripod.

        Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?

        > It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
        > more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?

        Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
        which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
        hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
        indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
        holes on his floor. :)

        http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2 12:34 PM
          On 7/2/2009 7:20 AM, Eduardo Hutter's hamster got loose on the keyboard
          and typed ...:
          >> Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
          >> stand and a centre column tripod.
          >
          > Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?
          >
          >> It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
          >> more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?
          >
          > Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
          > which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
          > hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
          > indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
          > holes on his floor. :)

          Use shot bags or small sand bags (shot bags are better on a weight to
          volume basis).

          > http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2 4:55 PM
            On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Robert Slade
            <robert@...>wrote:

            > Hello,
            > I've been requested to create a 360x180 virtual tour of a factory
            > assembly area. It consists of rows of desks where workers sit and
            > assemble electronic components. From ground level, all of the desks are
            > at the same height. The best viewpoint will be three or four metres
            > above the ground.
            > I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would the
            > pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow shutter speed?

            I did this one at 7.5 meters high
            It's a light stand that I adapt a home made pole solution :-)
            light was very low.

            <http://digg.com/u17FTp>

            best
            AYRTON

            > A cherry picker would have a guard rail which would interfere with the
            > image.
            >
            > A scaffold platform at that height would be too dangerous to stand on
            > without any safety rails.
            >
            > I'd be grateful for any suggestions!
            >
            > Regards,
            > Robert
            >
            > --
            > Robert Slade, Photographer
            > Manor Photography 07890 564889
            > http://www.manor-photography.com

          • Robert Slade
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 3 1:39 AM
              Thanks Eduardo, my stand is very similar to the Manfrotto 7.3m version
              except it is only 3m in maximum height. This is enough for my application.

              It wasn't very steady at maximum elevation, so I dismantled the lower
              column and inserted it into a Manfrotto centre column tripod. Now it has
              three very stable legs (about 5ft high when spread) and another (approx)
              2.5m above this.

              Since it's a one off job, and indoors, I will probably just wait for the
              swaying motion to die down before releasing the shutter (using Canon
              LC-4 remote control).

              Regards,
              Rob