Re: [PanoToolsNG] Elevated pano help

  • Willy Kaemena
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
      noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

      On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:25, Robert Slade wrote:

      > Thanks Willy - I did wonder about the importance of NPP position
      > further
      > away, the parallax error decreasing with distance. But I've never
      > shot a
      > pano under these conditions before.
      >
      > That's an amazing pano of the Olympic Park - taken from a helicopter?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Rob
      > --
      >
      > Willy Kaemena wrote:
      > > Robert when you are a bit away from near objects the NPP is of no
      > big
      > > issue anymore:
      > >
      > > here some examples:
      > >
      > > at least about 15m off NPP http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm/
      > > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/
      > >
      > > and the cherry picker was about 1.5m off NPP
      > >> http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Innotrans2008/InnotransOutdoor/
      > >>
      > > Making some shots from the guard-rail around the platform.

      Willy Kaemena

    • Robert Slade
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
        Willy Kaemena wrote:

        > noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

        Hi Willy - sorry, didn't make the connection between the two links
        initially.

        That must be you in the platform pano? What big hands you have! ;-)

        Regards,
        Rob
        --

        --
        Robert Slade, Photographer
        Manor Photography 07890 564889
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
          transplanted hands..,..

          On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:53, Robert Slade wrote:

          > Willy Kaemena wrote:
          >
          > > noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/
          >
          > Hi Willy - sorry, didn't make the connection between the two links
          > initially.
          >
          > That must be you in the platform pano? What big hands you have! ;-)
          >
          > Regards,
          > Rob
          > --
          >
          > > On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:25, Robert Slade wrote:
          > >
          > >> Thanks Willy - I did wonder about the importance of NPP position
          > >> further
          > >> away, the parallax error decreasing with distance. But I've never
          > >> shot a
          > >> pano under these conditions before.
          > >>
          > >> That's an amazing pano of the Olympic Park - taken from a
          > helicopter?
          > >>
          > >> Regards,
          > >> Rob
          > >> --
          >
          > --
          > Robert Slade, Photographer
          > Manor Photography 07890 564889
          > http://www.manor-photography.com

        • Eduardo Hutter
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
            > Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
            > stand and a centre column tripod.

            Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?

            > It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
            > more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?

            Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
            which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
            hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
            indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
            holes on his floor. :)

            http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

          • Pat Swovelin
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
              On 7/2/2009 7:20 AM, Eduardo Hutter's hamster got loose on the keyboard
              and typed ...:
              >> Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
              >> stand and a centre column tripod.
              >
              > Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?
              >
              >> It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
              >> more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?
              >
              > Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
              > which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
              > hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
              > indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
              > holes on his floor. :)

              Use shot bags or small sand bags (shot bags are better on a weight to
              volume basis).

              > http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
            • AYRTON
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Robert Slade
                <robert@...>wrote:

                > Hello,
                > I've been requested to create a 360x180 virtual tour of a factory
                > assembly area. It consists of rows of desks where workers sit and
                > assemble electronic components. From ground level, all of the desks are
                > at the same height. The best viewpoint will be three or four metres
                > above the ground.
                > I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would the
                > pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow shutter speed?

                I did this one at 7.5 meters high
                It's a light stand that I adapt a home made pole solution :-)
                light was very low.

                <http://digg.com/u17FTp>

                best
                AYRTON

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 3, 2009
                  Thanks Eduardo, my stand is very similar to the Manfrotto 7.3m version
                  except it is only 3m in maximum height. This is enough for my application.

                  It wasn't very steady at maximum elevation, so I dismantled the lower
                  column and inserted it into a Manfrotto centre column tripod. Now it has
                  three very stable legs (about 5ft high when spread) and another (approx)
                  2.5m above this.

                  Since it's a one off job, and indoors, I will probably just wait for the
                  swaying motion to die down before releasing the shutter (using Canon
                  LC-4 remote control).

                  Regards,
                  Rob