Re: [PanoToolsNG] Elevated pano help

  • Willy Kaemena
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
      Robert when you are a bit away from near objects the NPP is of no big
      issue anymore:

      here some examples:

      at least about 15m off NPP http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm/
      see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

      and the cherry picker was about 1.5m off NPP
      > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Innotrans2008/InnotransOutdoor/

      Making some shots from the guard-rail around the platform.

      or here http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Berkeley2007/Campanile/
      and the corresponding platform
      http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Berkeley2007/Campanile3/

      So don't worry about NPP when in heights . This is also valid from
      a 3 m pole a little bit swaying makes no big difference.

      Willy Kaemena

      On Jul 2, 2009, at 8:57, Robert Slade wrote:

      > Hi Willy,
      >
      > Thanks for the links - stunning panoramics!
      >
      > I've made a 3m pole from a lighting stand and centre column tripod.
      > Haven't tried it yet, but will give it a test run today.
      >
      > I am curious about the cherry picker platform. How did you rotatate
      > about the NPP? Did you move the camera, or the cherry picker?
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > Robert
      > --
      >
      > Willy Kaemena wrote:
      > > Some ideas :
      > >
      > > here from a Cherry Picker kind of platform
      > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Innotrans2008/InnotransOutdoor/
      > >
      > > or from a Cam boom
      > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Photokina/Cambo
      > >
      > > or simply a monopod tripod combo
      > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Bremen/MarktLichtshow3/
      > >
      > > Willy Kaemena
      > >
      > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
      > > http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
      > > http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
      > > http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
      > > http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
      > > http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal
      > >

      > > On Jun 30, 2009, at 22:54, Sacha Griffin wrote:
      > >

      > >> You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move
      > >> the cherry
      > >> picker around your nadir.
      > >>
      > >> I've done this with a fork lift to success.
      > >>
      > >> Sacha Griffin
      > >>
      > >> Southern Digital Solutions LLC
      > >>
      > >> http://www.southern-digital.com
      > >>
      > >> http://www.seeit360.net
      > >>
      > >> GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
      > >>
      > >> 404-551-4275

      (0049) 0177 327 2935
      http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
      http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
      http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
      http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
      http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

    • Robert Slade
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
        Thanks Willy - I did wonder about the importance of NPP position further
        away, the parallax error decreasing with distance. But I've never shot a
        pano under these conditions before.

        That's an amazing pano of the Olympic Park - taken from a helicopter?

        Regards,
        Rob

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
          noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
            Willy Kaemena wrote:

            > noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

            Hi Willy - sorry, didn't make the connection between the two links
            initially.

            That must be you in the platform pano? What big hands you have! ;-)

            Regards,
            Rob
            --

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
              transplanted hands..,..

              On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:53, Robert Slade wrote:

              > Willy Kaemena wrote:
              >
              > > noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/
              >
              > Hi Willy - sorry, didn't make the connection between the two links
              > initially.
              >
              > That must be you in the platform pano? What big hands you have! ;-)
              >
              > Regards,
              > Rob
              > --
              >
              > > On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:25, Robert Slade wrote:
              > >
              > >> Thanks Willy - I did wonder about the importance of NPP position
              > >> further
              > >> away, the parallax error decreasing with distance. But I've never
              > >> shot a
              > >> pano under these conditions before.
              > >>
              > >> That's an amazing pano of the Olympic Park - taken from a
              > helicopter?
              > >>
              > >> Regards,
              > >> Rob
              > >> --
              >
              > --
              > Robert Slade, Photographer
              > Manor Photography 07890 564889
              > http://www.manor-photography.com

            • Eduardo Hutter
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                > Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
                > stand and a centre column tripod.

                Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?

                > It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
                > more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?

                Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
                which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
                hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
                indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
                holes on his floor. :)

                http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

              • Pat Swovelin
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                  On 7/2/2009 7:20 AM, Eduardo Hutter's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                  and typed ...:
                  >> Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
                  >> stand and a centre column tripod.
                  >
                  > Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?
                  >
                  >> It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
                  >> more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?
                  >
                  > Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
                  > which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
                  > hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
                  > indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
                  > holes on his floor. :)

                  Use shot bags or small sand bags (shot bags are better on a weight to
                  volume basis).

                  > http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

                  Pat Swovelin
                  Cool Guy @ Large
                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                    On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Robert Slade
                    <robert@...>wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    > I've been requested to create a 360x180 virtual tour of a factory
                    > assembly area. It consists of rows of desks where workers sit and
                    > assemble electronic components. From ground level, all of the desks are
                    > at the same height. The best viewpoint will be three or four metres
                    > above the ground.
                    > I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would the
                    > pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow shutter speed?

                    I did this one at 7.5 meters high
                    It's a light stand that I adapt a home made pole solution :-)
                    light was very low.

                    <http://digg.com/u17FTp>

                    best
                    AYRTON

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 3, 2009
                      Thanks Eduardo, my stand is very similar to the Manfrotto 7.3m version
                      except it is only 3m in maximum height. This is enough for my application.

                      It wasn't very steady at maximum elevation, so I dismantled the lower
                      column and inserted it into a Manfrotto centre column tripod. Now it has
                      three very stable legs (about 5ft high when spread) and another (approx)
                      2.5m above this.

                      Since it's a one off job, and indoors, I will probably just wait for the
                      swaying motion to die down before releasing the shutter (using Canon
                      LC-4 remote control).

                      Regards,
                      Rob