Re: [PanoToolsNG] Buying or not? 360 degree one-shot camera for 1100 USD

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
      Congratulations Jim!

      Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
      http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
      gave up on.

      In the end he purchased a Ladybug rig and went on 6 month around-the-world
      trip with his family.

      I thought about a rig like yours.

      However I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens mount
      and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.

      Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for when doing it
      again?

      Jan

      On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:

      > I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
      > I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
      > http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
      >
      > Jim Watters
      >
      > http://photocreations.ca
      >

      > Jan Martin wrote:
      > > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
      > > take a panos every 1 second.
      > > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
      > > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Jan

    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
        Jan Martin wrote:
        > Congratulations Jim!

        Thank you.

        > Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
        > http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
        > gave up on.

        Yes I have been following Bills creations and adventures for a long time.

        > I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens
        > mount and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.
        > Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for
        > when doing it again?

        Yes my next version might be that. Inexpensive was the current plan.
        Already had the web-cams.
        The Ladybug3 has 6 cameras that does 1600X1200 (2MP) at 15 fps
        compressed or 6.5 fps uncompressed using Firewire.
        The biggest gain in image size and speed will be with USB3 or gigabit
        eithernet, or saving to camera local memory.
        The cameras I am using are a combination of 4MP and 5MP but capturing
        compressed video is limited to 15 fps at 960X720.

        PointGrey does sell the cameras used in the Ladybug separately.
        Or something like this http://www.vrmagic.com/en/news_img/
        When I ordered the fisheye lenses to use with my setup I did not
        consider the position of the NPP of the lens. The Sunex DSL209A would
        make a tighter configuration, particularly on a 1/2" CCD sensor.
        http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL219.PDF
        There are the open hardware cameras, Elphel
        http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg
        http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

        Jim Watters
        > Jan
        >
        > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:
        >
        >> I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
        >> I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
        >> http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
        >>
        >> Jim Watters
        >>
        >> http://photocreations.ca
        >>

        >> Jan Martin wrote:
        >>
        >>> I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
        >>> take a panos every 1 second.
        >>> From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
        >>> Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
        >>>
        >>> Thanks,
        >>> Jan
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
          Jan Martin wrote:

          > http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
          >
          > Also nice overview on all the different panorama technologies available
          > right now.

          Nice overview, but what they write about details and drawbacks of some
          technologies is at least partly bullshit, f.e. they write: "Reflection
          off a nonplanar mirror is, in general, blurred because each perceived
          image point is actually an image of an extended region in space"

          This sentence contradicts itself, since if there is a point in the image
          it means the image is sharp. Whether this point is a larger area in
          reality is a question of resolution. It is true that the image in a
          curved mirror appears very small, but this applies to fisheyes as well.

          They write: "Single camera looking out through a fisheye lens: Images of
          nearby objects are distorted irretrievably, ..." Well, there are a lot
          of tight spaces sphericals shot with fisheye lenses out there which
          prove this wrong, f.e.: http://worldwidepanorama.org/wwp_rss/go/n3858

          I also don't understand, why a "scene must be well illuminated or slow
          changing" in order to be shot with a fisheye or spherical mirror...

          Obviously the writers of this page didn't learn much since their
          "invention" back in 1995...

          best regards
        • Milo
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
            Jan,

            I was also researching on a multiple camera one shot right. So far just pure research I haven't made any major purchases :)

            the MrotatorR panohead from Agnos can hold 3 cropped frame cameras tilted at 60 degrees. Download the examples, like the one in the gondola. But it seems you have to put this very high on your car.

            http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_lingua=ENG&v_iss_web=0000000009070301403151786994&v_categ_lista=P0000-P0005-P0509&v_cod_art_scheda=MROTATORRPE

            This link was sent by Phil Warner. There's a photo of a rig with 4 cameras. But this one was used on a helicopter. google aerial view?lol

            http://www.aplanding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2175

            We had a similar thread in the krpano forums

            http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=935

            Cheers,
            Milo