Re: Michael Jackson, Neverland Ranch

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
      Here's showing the more down to earth human side of this event.
      http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/michael4.html

      Roger Berry

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

      > Some of you didn't make it to the Neverland Ranch for the Michael Jackson media circus today. I enjoyed seeing all of the equipment and talking to some of the professionals there.
      > When I got there no-parking signs were being placed along the road for miles, when leaving they had set up a road block about 2 miles away and were not allowing anyone down the road. Here's my first pano, sorry the quality setting had to be set low in Photoshop and even the file is larger that I would like.
      > http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/jackson4.html

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

        > Here's showing the more down to earth human side of this event.
        > http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/michael4.html
        >
        > Roger Berry
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Some of you didn't make it to the Neverland Ranch for the Michael Jackson media circus today. I enjoyed seeing all of the equipment and talking to some of the professionals there.
        > > When I got there no-parking signs were being placed along the road for miles, when leaving they had set up a road block about 2 miles away and were not allowing anyone down the road. Here's my first pano, sorry the quality setting had to be set low in Photoshop and even the file is larger that I would like.
        > > http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/jackson4.html

        Hans has Jook's Michael Jackson New York scene too on panoramas.dk
        In Sydney there was a kind of flash mob memorial gathering in the city last night
        http://www.mediavr.com/flash/mjackson.htm
        This was a kind of a hassle to stitch and it reminded me of an issue with Smartblend and Enfuse in PTGui. Smartblend treats each of the extracted images from a raw file as separate images and will often blend them differently -- which is not what you want. So sometimes you need to Enfuse each pair first and then put them into PTGui. But PTGui wont do a simple Enfuse operation on an image pair. It always wants to transform the images into some kind of "panorama".
        So I made pairwise Enfused 360 equis from each extracted pair of jpgs and then created alphas on these in Photoshop for the image areas and then loaded these alpha-ed equis into PTGui to stitch and Smartblend into the final equi. (Who says that panorama makers use excessive jargon ;-))

        Peter M
      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2009
          On 7/4/2009 8:12 PM, panovrx's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
          typed ...:
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:
          >> Here's showing the more down to earth human side of this event.
          >> http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/michael4.html
          >>
          >> Roger Berry
          >>
          >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@> wrote:
          >>> Some of you didn't make it to the Neverland Ranch for the Michael
          >>> Jackson media circus today. I enjoyed seeing all of the equipment
          >>> and talking to some of the professionals there.
          >>> When I got there no-parking signs were being placed along the road
          >>> for miles, when leaving they had set up a road block about 2 miles
          >>> away and were not allowing anyone down the road. Here's my first
          >>> pano, sorry the quality setting had to be set low in Photoshop and
          >>> even the file is larger that I would like.
          >>> http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/jackson4.html
          >>>
          > Hans has Jook's Michael Jackson New York scene too on panoramas.dk
          > In Sydney there was a kind of flash mob memorial gathering in the city
          > last night
          > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/mjackson.htm
          > This was a kind of a hassle to stitch and it reminded me of an issue
          > with Smartblend and Enfuse in PTGui. Smartblend treats each of the
          > extracted images from a raw file as separate images and will often
          > blend them differently -- which is not what you want. So sometimes you
          > need to Enfuse each pair first and then put them into PTGui. But PTGui
          > wont do a simple Enfuse operation on an image pair. It always wants to
          > transform the images into some kind of "panorama".
          > So I made pairwise Enfused 360 equis from each extracted pair of jpgs
          > and then created alphas on these in Photoshop for the image areas and
          > then loaded these alpha-ed equis into PTGui to stitch and Smartblend
          > into the final equi. (Who says that panorama makers use excessive
          > jargon ;-))

          No trick questions!

          Nice work, Peter.

          > Peter M

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • Roger Berry
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2009
            Hi very nice work Peter.
            Can you tell me what type of lighting you where using?

            Cheers,
            Roger Berry

            > > Hans has Jook's Michael Jackson New York scene too on panoramas.dk
            > > In Sydney there was a kind of flash mob memorial gathering in the city
            > > last night
            > > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/mjackson.htm
            > > This was a kind of a hassle to stitch and it reminded me of an issue
            > > with Smartblend and Enfuse in PTGui. Smartblend treats each of the
            > > extracted images from a raw file as separate images and will often
            > > blend them differently -- which is not what you want. So sometimes you
            > > need to Enfuse each pair first and then put them into PTGui. But PTGui
            > > wont do a simple Enfuse operation on an image pair. It always wants to
            > > transform the images into some kind of "panorama".
            > > So I made pairwise Enfused 360 equis from each extracted pair of jpgs
            > > and then created alphas on these in Photoshop for the image areas and
            > > then loaded these alpha-ed equis into PTGui to stitch and Smartblend
            > > into the final equi. (Who says that panorama makers use excessive
            > > jargon ;-))

            > > Peter M
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

              > Hi very nice work Peter.
              > Can you tell me what type of lighting you where using?
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Roger Berry
              >
              > > > Hans has Jook's Michael Jackson New York scene too on panoramas.dk
              > > > In Sydney there was a kind of flash mob memorial gathering in the city
              > > > last night
              > > > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/mjackson.htm

              Roger, it was a regular on-camera flash with a homemade diffuser (from the bottom of a plastic soft drink bottle) that I tape on when I need a bulb flash look. Main issue with it is flare on the lens being so wide angle - so you need to keep it back, but then the camera starts to shadow the scene. PseudoHDR multi-EV extraction and Enfuse help even out the lighting from near to far.

              Ive put a video of one of the scene on Youtube
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkCaqyYU1Vc

              -- you can see it was pretty lively sometimes, but I didnt manage to get a stitchable pano of those moments. This video (and sound) were with the Canon 5D Mk II at 6400 ISO btw.

              Peter M