Re: [PanoToolsNG] Buying or not? 360 degree one-shot camera for 1100 USD

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
      I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
      I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
      http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html

      Jim Watters

      http://photocreations.ca

      Jan Martin wrote:
      > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
      > take a panos every 1 second.
      > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
      > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jan
    • Jan Martin
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
        Congratulations Jim!

        Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
        http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
        gave up on.

        In the end he purchased a Ladybug rig and went on 6 month around-the-world
        trip with his family.

        I thought about a rig like yours.

        However I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens mount
        and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.

        Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for when doing it
        again?

        Jan

        On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:

        > I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
        > I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
        > http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
        >
        > Jim Watters
        >
        > http://photocreations.ca
        >

        > Jan Martin wrote:
        > > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
        > > take a panos every 1 second.
        > > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
        > > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Jan

      • Jim Watters
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
          Jan Martin wrote:
          > Congratulations Jim!

          Thank you.

          > Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
          > http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
          > gave up on.

          Yes I have been following Bills creations and adventures for a long time.

          > I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens
          > mount and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.
          > Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for
          > when doing it again?

          Yes my next version might be that. Inexpensive was the current plan.
          Already had the web-cams.
          The Ladybug3 has 6 cameras that does 1600X1200 (2MP) at 15 fps
          compressed or 6.5 fps uncompressed using Firewire.
          The biggest gain in image size and speed will be with USB3 or gigabit
          eithernet, or saving to camera local memory.
          The cameras I am using are a combination of 4MP and 5MP but capturing
          compressed video is limited to 15 fps at 960X720.

          PointGrey does sell the cameras used in the Ladybug separately.
          Or something like this http://www.vrmagic.com/en/news_img/
          When I ordered the fisheye lenses to use with my setup I did not
          consider the position of the NPP of the lens. The Sunex DSL209A would
          make a tighter configuration, particularly on a 1/2" CCD sensor.
          http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL219.PDF
          There are the open hardware cameras, Elphel
          http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg
          http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

          Jim Watters
          > Jan
          >
          > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:
          >
          >> I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
          >> I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
          >> http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
          >>
          >> Jim Watters
          >>
          >> http://photocreations.ca
          >>

          >> Jan Martin wrote:
          >>
          >>> I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
          >>> take a panos every 1 second.
          >>> From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
          >>> Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
          >>>
          >>> Thanks,
          >>> Jan
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
            Jan Martin wrote:

            > http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
            >
            > Also nice overview on all the different panorama technologies available
            > right now.

            Nice overview, but what they write about details and drawbacks of some
            technologies is at least partly bullshit, f.e. they write: "Reflection
            off a nonplanar mirror is, in general, blurred because each perceived
            image point is actually an image of an extended region in space"

            This sentence contradicts itself, since if there is a point in the image
            it means the image is sharp. Whether this point is a larger area in
            reality is a question of resolution. It is true that the image in a
            curved mirror appears very small, but this applies to fisheyes as well.

            They write: "Single camera looking out through a fisheye lens: Images of
            nearby objects are distorted irretrievably, ..." Well, there are a lot
            of tight spaces sphericals shot with fisheye lenses out there which
            prove this wrong, f.e.: http://worldwidepanorama.org/wwp_rss/go/n3858

            I also don't understand, why a "scene must be well illuminated or slow
            changing" in order to be shot with a fisheye or spherical mirror...

            Obviously the writers of this page didn't learn much since their
            "invention" back in 1995...

            best regards
          • Milo
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
              Jan,

              I was also researching on a multiple camera one shot right. So far just pure research I haven't made any major purchases :)

              the MrotatorR panohead from Agnos can hold 3 cropped frame cameras tilted at 60 degrees. Download the examples, like the one in the gondola. But it seems you have to put this very high on your car.

              http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_lingua=ENG&v_iss_web=0000000009070301403151786994&v_categ_lista=P0000-P0005-P0509&v_cod_art_scheda=MROTATORRPE

              This link was sent by Phil Warner. There's a photo of a rig with 4 cameras. But this one was used on a helicopter. google aerial view?lol

              http://www.aplanding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2175

              We had a similar thread in the krpano forums

              http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=935

              Cheers,
              Milo