Re: Making Large Images Work in Pano2VR

  • Dave 360texas.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
      Well, gee whiz. It might be helpful to be abit more technically specific as to which settings you used to create your pano2vr output image.

      Which version of pano2vr are you using?
      What format are your original images?
      What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama?
      What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif?

      There are a lot of preliminary issues that might have caused your concerns.

      Is your browser using Flash Version 10?

      Help us ... just bit more.

      You might help us by replying here in this forum or in the Pano2vr forum.

      Our first panorama were taken back in 1989.

      dave still at 360texas.com

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

      > When I started in this business back in the mid-90s you didn't have to
      > choose between cylindricals and sphericals because cylindricals were all
      > that were available via QTVRAS the tool I was using at the time.
      > Several years ago sphericals became popular, and they certainly have
      > their place, like inside buildings, but I always felt like those pixels
      > in the sky and the dirt at your feet were wasted, that my customers were
      > better served with a panorama of a view from the top of a mountain with
      > a strip cylindrical shot with a 50 mm lens than they were with spherical
      > image shot with a 15 mm, or even worse, with the advent of the DX
      > format, a 10 mm lens. But sometimes sphericals are really good, even
      > for scenery, like for example, at the edge of the abyss at Toroweap at
      > the Grand Canyon.
      >
      > Well, on my current project, a CD offering VR Illustrated Topo Maps of
      > the Sierra Nevada, I have been stuck for a couple of weeks on a panorama
      > shot at the top of New Army Pass, a few miles south of the Mt. Whitney
      > uplift. The views from there are incredibly expansive, and I had shot a
      > 3 row with a 50 mm lens and my D200 at its highest NEF resolution. When
      > I input the finished cylinder to Pano2VR, it crashed repeatedly. Then,
      > this afternoon I tried cropping the stitched image down to more of a
      > cylindrical orientation, getting rid of a lot of clear blue sky and some
      > nondescript rocks at my feet (no plants grow at the pass, it's too
      > elevated) and now Pano2VR is able to produce a pretty good panorama.
      >
      > The Black Kaweahs, a strange and very remote range, rises about 30 miles
      > distant from New Army Pass, and that's what I used as a marker to decide
      > when the image could not be reduced any further without losing important
      > detail. So I just sized the image down with Photoshop's Image command
      > until the Black Kaweah started to diminish more than I wanted and then
      > started cropping out sky and rock until it worked. Now Pano2VR is able
      > to produce a pretty good panorama from a source tiff 26880 x 2920.
      >
      > But there is a noticeable degradation of the image. What is Pano2VR
      > doing to the image between the tif and the .swf? Could I be making
      > manual steps in creating the pieces of the spherical, or whatever it
      > does, to maintain image detail better than the automated functions of
      > Pano2VR?
      >
      > So I proved to myself what I have long felt, that there is still good
      > reason for cylindrical panoramas in the scenic art photography world.
      > Now if I could just figure out how to keep Pano2VR from turning the
      > image into a piece of crap I would be happy.
      >
      > Paul Fretheim

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

        > When I started in this business back in the mid-90s you didn't have to
        > choose between cylindricals and sphericals because cylindricals were all
        > that were available via QTVRAS the tool I was using at the time.
        > Several years ago sphericals became popular, and they certainly have
        > their place, like inside buildings, but I always felt like those pixels
        > in the sky and the dirt at your feet were wasted, that my customers were
        > better served with a panorama of a view from the top of a mountain with
        > a strip cylindrical shot with a 50 mm lens than they were with spherical
        > image shot with a 15 mm, or even worse, with the advent of the DX
        > format, a 10 mm lens. But sometimes sphericals are really good, even
        > for scenery, like for example, at the edge of the abyss at Toroweap at
        > the Grand Canyon.
        >
        > Well, on my current project, a CD offering VR Illustrated Topo Maps of
        > the Sierra Nevada, I have been stuck for a couple of weeks on a panorama
        > shot at the top of New Army Pass, a few miles south of the Mt. Whitney
        > uplift. The views from there are incredibly expansive, and I had shot a
        > 3 row with a 50 mm lens and my D200 at its highest NEF resolution. When
        > I input the finished cylinder to Pano2VR, it crashed repeatedly. Then,
        > this afternoon I tried cropping the stitched image down to more of a
        > cylindrical orientation, getting rid of a lot of clear blue sky and some
        > nondescript rocks at my feet (no plants grow at the pass, it's too
        > elevated) and now Pano2VR is able to produce a pretty good panorama.
        >
        > The Black Kaweahs, a strange and very remote range, rises about 30 miles
        > distant from New Army Pass, and that's what I used as a marker to decide
        > when the image could not be reduced any further without losing important
        > detail. So I just sized the image down with Photoshop's Image command
        > until the Black Kaweah started to diminish more than I wanted and then
        > started cropping out sky and rock until it worked. Now Pano2VR is able
        > to produce a pretty good panorama from a source tiff 26880 x 2920.
        >
        > But there is a noticeable degradation of the image. What is Pano2VR
        > doing to the image between the tif and the .swf? Could I be making
        > manual steps in creating the pieces of the spherical, or whatever it
        > does, to maintain image detail better than the automated functions of
        > Pano2VR?

        Poul

        I already answered this once before.

        If you are talking about making swf again I do not understand what you are doing.

        There is absolutelly no way you can make a full resolution panorama in flash from this size in Pano2VR
        Pano2VR sets a max cubeface size of 2880x2880 for flash panoramas.
        This is a panorama from a cylinder or a spherical which is 11520 pixels wide.

        Using a 26000 as source will cause severe degradation not just in resolution but also degradation in sharpness because the default interpolator is not supposed to do this.
        You have to reduce the size first in photoshop and I also recomend you to change the interpolator in the Pano2VR preferences to Lanczoes 3 or Blackmann Sinc. The conversion will take 3 times longer at least but you get max quality.

        The 2880x2880 maximum is a maximum size Adobe seems to have claimed once for Flash 9 but from the tests we made with FPP I can tell you that it is not true.
        You can see panoramas with FPP at cubeface sizes as large as 6000x6000 but you need the latest supercomputer and a lot of Ram.
        Actually what sets the max is also the browser as they are not at all supposed to handle this sizes.
        I recommend not using larger then 2400x2400 as that is what you can see with 512mb ram also in Explorer which is very bad handling large sizes.

        The only way to see large panoramas like this in flash is to use KRpano tiling technics which only loads the tiles you see. If the browser can not keep them in memory it unloads the tiles you do not currently see in the window.

        You may also know that Quicktime can not show these large sizes either if you do not have the memory. However Quicktime has a built in quality reduction which automatically reduces quality if you show it on a computer which does not have the memory.

        Hans
        www.panoramas.dk
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
          Sometime around 2/7/09 (at 00:59 +0000) Dave 360texas.com said:

          >Which version of pano2vr are you using?
          >What format are your original images?
          >What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama?
          >What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif?

          Also, what interpolator is set (as fiero asked),
          and what JPEG compression setting is used?

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009

            > Sometime around 2/7/09 (at 00:59 +0000) Dave 360texas.com said:
            >
            > >Which version of pano2vr are you using?
            > >What format are your original images?
            > >What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama?
            > >What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif?
            >
            > Also, what interpolator is set (as fiero asked),
            > and what JPEG compression setting is used?

            According to his last post about this a couple of weeks ago
            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/30061

            he uses the last version 2.2.3 which has the restriction to 2880x2880.

            I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.

            Hans
          • Paul Fretheim
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
              Which version of pano2vr are you using? 2.2.3
              What format are your original images? tif or jpeg I start with tif and
              if I run into problems try jpeg too.
              What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama? PtGui
              latest pro version, I have auto updates turned on.
              What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif? 8 bit. I convert from 16
              bit just before inputting to Pano2VR.

              What interpolation filter do you use in Pano2VR? I use Lanczos 3

              > I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to
              > use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.
              >
              > Hans
              I would disagree that it is ridiculous to at least have a need for a
              means of displaying panoramic images of this size. I have a legitimate
              reason for wanting to provide my customers with a sharp clean image that
              they can navigate theough which allows them to view the features of the
              scene in the detail that my camera and stitching software can capture.
              In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
              possible with VR photography. I am going to explore the capabilities of
              krpano and in the future try it for the images that need to be displayed
              at very high resolutions.

              Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
              the Pano2VR forum. The Pano2VR web site has an awkward way of allowing
              posting that left me unsure of where to make a request for technical
              assistance.
            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                Quoting Paul Fretheim <paul@...>:

                > In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
                > possible with VR photography.
                <cough>

                > I am going to explore the capabilities of
                > krpano and in the future try it for the images that need to be displayed
                > at very high resolutions.
                >
                > Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
                > the Pano2VR forum.

                don't have much hope of you understanding the xml then.

                mick

              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                  If you have Java 1.6.14 properly installed and are using Firefox 3
                  as your browser and have a fast graphics card, you can show larger
                  than a 11520 cylinder -- MAYBE!!! It would be an interesting experiment.

                  Email me directly at kwarner000 (at) verizon (dot) net if you want to
                  try something completely useless.

                  Paul Fretheim wrote:

                  > Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
                  > the Pano2VR forum. The Pano2VR web site has an awkward way of allowing
                  > posting that left me unsure of where to make a request for technical
                  > assistance.

                  http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
                • Hans Nyberg
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                    > Which version of pano2vr are you using? 2.2.3
                    > What format are your original images? tif or jpeg I start with tif and
                    > if I run into problems try jpeg too.
                    > What stitching software did you use to stitch your panorama? PtGui
                    > latest pro version, I have auto updates turned on.
                    > What file size and was it 8bit or 16bit Tif? 8 bit. I convert from 16
                    > bit just before inputting to Pano2VR.
                    >
                    > What interpolation filter do you use in Pano2VR? I use Lanczos 3
                    >

                    > > I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to
                    > > use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.
                    > >
                    > > Hans
                    > I would disagree that it is ridiculous to at least have a need for a
                    > means of displaying panoramic images of this size. I have a legitimate
                    > reason for wanting to provide my customers with a sharp clean image that
                    > they can navigate theough which allows them to view the features of the
                    > scene in the detail that my camera and stitching software can capture.
                    > In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
                    > possible with VR photography. I am going to explore the capabilities of
                    > krpano and in the future try it for the images that need to be displayed
                    > at very high resolutions.
                    >
                    > Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I can't seem to find
                    > the Pano2VR forum. The Pano2VR web site has an awkward way of allowing
                    > posting that left me unsure of where to make a request for technical
                    > assistance.

                    I can understand that you want to show VR in this size but as you have been using Quicktime for years you must be aware of that there are limits for size.
                    You have claimed that you want to use CD because also old computers without DVD should be able to use them.

                    I find that very contra to what you do now.

                    There is no way you can show a QTVR at the size you want on a computer from the CD area. It requirers more than 1.2 gigabyte ram and much more speed than the 500 mHz which was the standard before DVD was introduced.
                    You have to go 9 years back to the time when CD was the only possible media.

                    Hans
                  • Paul Fretheim
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                      With my newer products DVD is fine. It's just that I have several
                      thousands of dollars of packaging for my existing products that
                      describes the product as being on CD and I am concerned that people will
                      purchase the product expecting a CD inside and getting angry when it's
                      actually on DVD and won't work in their computers. Maybe this need not
                      be of concern due to the installed base of DVD capable optical drives.
                      At any rate I made some adjustments to my Grand Canyon product and it is
                      out now on CD in a Flash based format.

                      Instead of writing back questioning my intellect it would be more useful
                      if someone told me how to request technical assistance at the Pano2vr
                      site. I don't think the site makes it clear how to do this.

                      Maybe something is lost in the language translation from German. I know
                      the translations of Hegel could get pretty ugly when I was a philosophy
                      student.

                      Paul Fretheim
                    • Roger D. Williams
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                        On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:22:27 +0900, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                        > Maybe something is lost in the language translation from German. I know
                        > the translations of Hegel could get pretty ugly when I was a philosophy
                        > student.

                        Hi, Paul.

                        GOOD translations of Hegel into English are pretty ugly, too. <grin>

                        Roger W

                        --
                        Work: www.adex-japan.com
                      • AYRTON
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                          On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                          > Instead of writing back questioning my intellect it would be more useful
                          > if someone told me how to request technical assistance at the Pano2vr
                          > site. I don't think the site makes it clear how to do this.
                          > Maybe something is lost in the language translation from German.

                          Paul
                          I'm from Brazil, and my native langage is Portuguese
                          I got so curious about your problem that I went to pano2vr website
                          I click on the forum at the left menu and it shows me the english forum !!!

                          What you don't understand ???

                          It is like all other forums ....
                          you register yourself
                          get a username and a password
                          then you write on the forum whatever yo want to know, posting a question
                          there ...

                          People will answer you back if they fell like having time and patience to
                          explain something to you ...
                          If they answer you'll be able to read it ...
                          And that's it !!!

                          Sorry if I don't get it what YOU don't get it :-)

                          best
                          AYRTON

                          I know
                          > the translations of Hegel could get pretty ugly when I was a philosophy
                          > student.
                          >
                          > Paul Fretheim

                        • Roger D. Williams
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                            On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:22:27 +0900, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                            > With my newer products DVD is fine. It's just that I have several
                            > thousands of dollars of packaging for my existing products that
                            > describes the product as being on CD and I am concerned that people will
                            > purchase the product expecting a CD inside and getting angry when it's
                            > actually on DVD and won't work in their computers. Maybe this need not
                            > be of concern due to the installed base of DVD capable optical drives.
                            > At any rate I made some adjustments to my Grand Canyon product and it is
                            > out now on CD in a Flash based format.

                            Paul, I had a similar problem with labeling in several thousand dollars
                            worth of packaging materials following a change in the law here in Japan,
                            and my solution was a small and relatively inexpensive sticky label. I
                            imagine you could get one that says "CD upgraded to DVD at no extra cost"
                            or something else that might be more appropriate.

                            Roger W.

                            --
                            Work: www.adex-japan.com
                          • Ken Warner
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 2, 2009
                              Well this is the third time I've given you a link to their forums which
                              is where you should ask you questions. One wonders....

                            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                Quoting Paul Fretheim <paul@...>:

                                > Instead of writing back questioning my intellect it would be more useful
                                > if someone told me how to request technical assistance at the Pano2vr
                                > site. I don't think the site makes it clear how to do this.

                                I'm sorry but when you make a statement like

                                > In other words I once again find myself pushing the window of what is
                                > possible with VR photography.

                                because you want to use a big input file you can expect a ribbing ;-)

                                regards

                                mck

                              • Jeffrey Martin
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009

                                  > Re: Making Large Images Work in Pano2VR
                                  >
                                  > Posted by: "Paul Fretheim" paul@...   inyopro
                                  >
                                  > Thu Jul 2, 2009 6:03 am (PDT)
                                  >
                                  > > I also told Paul that time about this and that it was ridiculous to
                                  > > use an 26000 pixel panorama for a flash version.
                                  > >
                                  > > Hans
                                  > I would disagree that it is ridiculous to at least have a need for a
                                  > means of displaying panoramic images of this size. I have a legitimate
                                  > reason for wanting to provide my customers with a sharp clean image that

                                  I have a number of gigapixel images that are in Flash. The largest are
                                  65536x32768. They load the same speed as 'normal' panos. I think it
                                  would be ridiculous NOT to be able to make huge panos available in
                                  Flash :-)

                                  I'm on a train now and have no net access - but if you go to
                                  www.360cities.net/search/gigapixel you should find some of my very
                                  large images there.

                                  If anyone wants to show "huge" panos somewhere, one option is to
                                  publish it via 360cities and use the free embedding.

                                  Jeffrey Martin
                                  tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
                                • Paul Fretheim
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                    You are correct. This is the place I am complaining about. If someone
                                    spends $20 to purchase one of my products and then has trouble making it
                                    work and they go to my web site seeking help and choose to send an email
                                    it comes to my mailbox and I answer the question and work with the
                                    customer and even offer to call them until we get the problem fixed.

                                    I look at the page that link sends me to and I don't see where I get
                                    good service like that. Also, I have posted at these forums and
                                    received no help at all and no answer at all. You don't have to have
                                    that happen very often and the entire thing looks like a waste of time.

                                    For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                                    the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                                    get help from MicroSoft.

                                    Paul Fretheim

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                                      > You are correct. This is the place I am complaining about. If someone
                                      > spends $20 to purchase one of my products and then has trouble making it
                                      > work and they go to my web site seeking help and choose to send an email
                                      > it comes to my mailbox and I answer the question and work with the
                                      > customer and even offer to call them until we get the problem fixed.
                                      >
                                      > I look at the page that link sends me to and I don't see where I get
                                      > good service like that. Also, I have posted at these forums and
                                      > received no help at all and no answer at all. You don't have to have
                                      > that happen very often and the entire thing looks like a waste of time.
                                      >
                                      > For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                                      > the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                                      > get help from MicroSoft.

                                      Paul

                                      You obviously seems to just close your eyes for the answers you get.

                                      I have 2 times at least explained to you that there are limits for sizes of the images used in Flash. (not just panoramas but images in general)
                                      Pano2VR decreases the size to the maximum allowed by Flash.

                                      I am not going to tell you everything once again.

                                      The only crossplatform solution you can use currently for very large interactive immersive panoramas in flash is KRPano. KRpano uses special tiling of the images just like Zoomify and that means that you just load the tiles you need for the visible window.

                                      This can not be done in one single swf file currently.
                                      There might be other similar solutions on the way from FPP but I do not think you get it in Pano2VR .

                                      And by the way Thomas answered you 1 year ago with the same answers I have given you.

                                      Hans
                                    • Robert Slade
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                        Paul Fretheim wrote:

                                        > For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                                        > the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                                        > get help from MicroSoft.

                                        You could look at this thread which seems to answer your question:

                                        http://tinyurl.com/nxka8y

                                        I use krpano to achieve the results you desire.

                                        Regards,
                                        Robert

                                        --
                                        Robert Slade, Photographer
                                        Manor Photography 07890 564889
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 3, 2009
                                          On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Robert Slade
                                          <robert@...>wrote:

                                          > Paul Fretheim wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > For example today I put "Large source image fails" in the search box and
                                          > > the reply was "no suitable matches found." This reminds me of trying to
                                          > > get help from MicroSoft.
                                          >
                                          > You could look at this thread which seems to answer your question:
                                          >
                                          > http://tinyurl.com/nxka8y

                                          :-)

                                          it is a msg from PAUL !!!!
                                          :-)