Re: Laser pointers for monopod alignment

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2009

      > > I have made a two handed camera grip for use with my laser plum bob (and general overhead handheld use)
      > > http://www.mediavr.com/lasergrip.jpg
      > >
      > > The idea is you stand a little behind the laser pointer (so your stomach doesnt obstruct the beam -- motivation to not get fat) and hold the camera overhead so that the beam goes between your arms and hits the underneath of the lens. It is easy to find the beam because you are holding the camera symmetrically. It is possible to hold the beam on the required spot without too much effort to within a few mm. But you have to keep looking at it really to keep it there. So not ideal but pretty good for very accurate stitching with just a handheld grip and a laser gadget. You can take sharp shots with it down to about 1/50th.

      I did some tests yesterday (at a local Chinese Garden) with the laser plumbbob (Dewalt)and two handed camera grip. You can see from my shadow in a couple of them what's going on. There were a couple of issues but generally the stitchability was very good for handheld panoramas. First issue, hard to see the laser dot on the underneath of the lens when looking into the sun. Second issue, I had put the laser in a camera bag (so it didnt look conspicuous), and as the breeze blew it made the bag move and the laser swing. Indoors, with no wind, if you concentrate hard you can keep the dot right where it should be and get almost perfect stitching but outdoors it is harder to do that. Here are the panoramas straight as they came out of PTGui without retouching or nadir shot incorporation.
      http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden2.htm
      http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden4.htm
      http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden5.htm

      Peter M
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2009
        On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:04:46 +0900, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:
        >>

        >> > I have made a two handed camera grip for use with my laser plum bob
        >> (and general overhead handheld use)
        >> > http://www.mediavr.com/lasergrip.jpg
        >> >
        >> > The idea is you stand a little behind the laser pointer (so your
        >> stomach doesnt obstruct the beam -- motivation to not get fat) and hold
        >> the camera overhead so that the beam goes between your arms and hits
        >> the underneath of the lens. It is easy to find the beam because you are
        >> holding the camera symmetrically. It is possible to hold the beam on
        >> the required spot without too much effort to within a few mm. But you
        >> have to keep looking at it really to keep it there. So not ideal but
        >> pretty good for very accurate stitching with just a handheld grip and a
        >> laser gadget. You can take sharp shots with it down to about 1/50th.
        >> >

        > I did some tests yesterday (at a local Chinese Garden) with the laser
        > plumbbob (Dewalt)and two handed camera grip. You can see from my shadow
        > in a couple of them what's going on. There were a couple of issues but
        > generally the stitchability was very good for handheld panoramas. First
        > issue, hard to see the laser dot on the underneath of the lens when
        > looking into the sun. Second issue, I had put the laser in a camera bag
        > (so it didnt look conspicuous), and as the breeze blew it made the bag
        > move and the laser swing. Indoors, with no wind, if you concentrate hard
        > you can keep the dot right where it should be and get almost perfect
        > stitching but outdoors it is harder to do that. Here are the panoramas
        > straight as they came out of PTGui without retouching or nadir shot
        > incorporation.
        > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden2.htm
        > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden4.htm
        > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden5.htm

        Wow! Very impressive demonstration of concept. Beautiful spot for panoramas
        and amazing results without either retouching or nadir fixing.

        I was letting alll this "laser this and that" go past me, thinking all
        the while "not for me..." but now I think I'll have to check it out.
        Especially as I prefer handheld to monopod and monopod to tripod. I
        guess it would be more difficult for panoramas that require more shots
        to square the circle--like the 10.5mm Nikor on my Fujifilm S5 Pro,
        which requires six around plus up and/or down...

        Roger W.

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com