RE: [PanoToolsNG] Buying or not? 360 degree one-shot camera for 1100 USD

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
      Ken,

      Wow, that got my brain moving! If you had a Coolpix with their fisheye lens
      attached, that gives you about 185 fov, right? If you had a particular
      location that you wanted to cover TOTALLY, would the following scenario
      work?

      1. Mount the camera on a motorized platform, pointing forward so that the
      platform isn't in the photo.

      2. Set up a local GPS system that gives you perhaps centimeter or even
      millimeter accuracy. (An engineer friend of mine told me about a site he was
      working on where they had a local GPS system set up with several
      transmitters and several receivers mounted on a bulldozer. They fed in what
      they wanted the topology to be, and the bulldozer automatically adjusted the
      pitch and height of the blade.)

      3. Drive the platform around the area to be covered, taking photos at
      regular intervals in a grid pattern so that you end up with four views taken
      at each intersection of the grid.

      4. Group the images together based on their local GPS coordinates, which
      should give you four fisheye images that you can stitch together.

      5. Navigate the final array of panos which should give you a fully immersive
      tour.

      Mark
      www.pinnacle-vr.com
      www.northernlight.net
      www.360cities.net

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
        The IPIX has about 185 degree FOV but the edges have a strong rolloff so
        you really only can use about 175 degrees.

        And I doubt that you will get cm or mm GPS accuracy. Bulldozers are not
        really mm accurate in their work :-)

        A smart guy with money to burn could do a lot of things like you suggest.
        Unfortuantely, I miss both requirements :-))))

      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
          Ah, but it's fun to dream. :o)

          How about this one then:

          Take three of the IPIX lenses, mount them back to back with a periscope
          assembly on each of them. The periscope transfers the image circles down to
          a full frame camera. I did a quick test in Photoshop, and there is room for
          three of these 14.9mm image circles on a full frame, with a tiny bit of
          overlap.

          So, instead of pointing a camera up into a mirror, you point it up into an
          array of three lenses, each of which records to a 14.9mm circle on the
          sensor at the same time.

          That would give you enough overlap between the lenses to compensate for the
          light falloff. Then, write actions in Photoshop to extract the three areas
          into separate images and stitch them together. Might even work for video?

          Mark
          www.pinnacle-vr.com
          www.northernlight.net
          www.360cities.net

        • Jan Martin
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
            Hi all,

            thanks for your input.

            Ken:
            I am aware of the GoPro cameras.

            One would "just" have to solve these problems:
            - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for hugin all
            the time.
            - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
            - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
            - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.

            And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own car and
            gas. ;)

            Robert:
            Of course I could spend more.
            But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
            project.
            So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight hurdle for
            anyone to join.

            There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better one in a
            few months.

            6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
            Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.

            The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no motion blur
            problem at all.

            Mark:
            GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
            Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.

            There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its 50.000
            USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.

            All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do the best
            (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that scenario.

            Jan

          • Jan Martin
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
              Mark,

              just found the link:

              http://www.fullview.com/technology.html

              Also nice overview on all the different panorama technologies available
              right now.

              Jan

              On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...>wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > thanks for your input.
              >
              > Ken:
              > I am aware of the GoPro cameras.
              >
              > One would "just" have to solve these problems:
              > - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for hugin all
              > the time.
              > - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
              > - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
              > - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.
              >
              > And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own car and
              > gas. ;)
              >
              > Robert:
              > Of course I could spend more.
              > But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
              > project.
              > So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight hurdle for
              > anyone to join.
              >
              > There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better one in a
              > few months.
              >
              > 6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
              > Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.
              >
              > The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no motion blur
              > problem at all.
              >
              > Mark:
              > GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
              > Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.
              >
              > There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its 50.000
              > USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.
              >
              > All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do the best
              > (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that scenario.
              >
              > Jan

            • Robert Fisher
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                Last time I checked the ladybug is $25k. I am talking about 3-4 still
                cameras with lenses. cosumer cameras and the ladybug don't have the
                resolution but if your goal is to do the same as Streetview then
                that's a pretty low standard of quality. I would aim higher.

                Also I would bet that crazy looking lens has a mirror in it otherwise
                the image would be shaped differently.

                On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Jan Martin wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > thanks for your input.
                >
                > Ken:
                > I am aware of the GoPro cameras.
                >
                > One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                > - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for
                > hugin all
                > the time.
                > - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                > - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                > - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.
                >
                > And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own
                > car and
                > gas. ;)
                >
                > Robert:
                > Of course I could spend more.
                > But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                > project.
                > So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight
                > hurdle for
                > anyone to join.
                >
                > There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better
                > one in a
                > few months.
                >
                > 6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                > Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.
                >
                > The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no
                > motion blur
                > problem at all.
                >
                > Mark:
                > GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                > Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.
                >
                > There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its
                > 50.000
                > USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.
                >
                > All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do
                > the best
                > (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that
                > scenario.
                >
                > Jan

                Cheers
                Robert Fisher
                VR Photography / Cinematography

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Fisher <bob@...> wrote:

                  > Last time I checked the ladybug is $25k. I am talking about 3-4 still
                  > cameras with lenses. cosumer cameras and the ladybug don't have the
                  > resolution but if your goal is to do the same as Streetview then
                  > that's a pretty low standard of quality. I would aim higher.
                  >
                  > Also I would bet that crazy looking lens has a mirror in it otherwise
                  > the image would be shaped differently.
                  >
                  > On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Jan Martin wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hi all,
                  > >
                  > > thanks for your input.
                  > >
                  > > Ken:
                  > > I am aware of the GoPro cameras.
                  > >
                  > > One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                  > > - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for
                  > > hugin all
                  > > the time.
                  > > - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                  > > - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                  > > - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.
                  > >
                  > > And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own
                  > > car and
                  > > gas. ;)
                  > >
                  > > Robert:
                  > > Of course I could spend more.
                  > > But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                  > > project.
                  > > So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight
                  > > hurdle for
                  > > anyone to join.
                  > >
                  > > There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better
                  > > one in a
                  > > few months.
                  > >
                  > > 6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                  > > Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.
                  > >
                  > > The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no
                  > > motion blur
                  > > problem at all.
                  > >
                  > > Mark:
                  > > GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                  > > Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.
                  > >
                  > > There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its
                  > > 50.000
                  > > USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.
                  > >
                  > > All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do
                  > > the best
                  > > (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that
                  > > scenario.
                  > >
                  > > Jan

                  > Cheers
                  > Robert Fisher
                  > VR Photography / Cinematography

                  There is a community of radio controlled model aeroplane fanatics interested in monitoring their flights in realtime via a video feed and they are working on hacking the cheap Aiptek A-HD+ video camera so that the tiny camera sensor part of the video camera can be detached and tethered with a cable to the rest of the camera. This sensor has a M12 lens mount and can be fitted with a miniature Sunex fisheye lens. Quality for stills and video with this is much better in my tests than the GoPro. (5M stills) When the detaching problem is solved (soon apparently) it will be possible to build a 3 lens fisheye module that will fit in a 1" cube I think (for about $1000US). The only problem then will be overriding the automatic exposure of the camera.
                  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936068&page=44

                  Peter M
                • Jim Watters
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                    I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
                    I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
                    http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html

                    Jim Watters

                    http://photocreations.ca

                    Jan Martin wrote:
                    > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                    > take a panos every 1 second.
                    > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
                    > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Jan
                  • Jan Martin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                      Congratulations Jim!

                      Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
                      http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
                      gave up on.

                      In the end he purchased a Ladybug rig and went on 6 month around-the-world
                      trip with his family.

                      I thought about a rig like yours.

                      However I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens mount
                      and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.

                      Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for when doing it
                      again?

                      Jan

                      On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:

                      > I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
                      > I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
                      > http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
                      >
                      > Jim Watters
                      >
                      > http://photocreations.ca
                      >

                      > Jan Martin wrote:
                      > > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                      > > take a panos every 1 second.
                      > > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
                      > > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Jan

                    • Jim Watters
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
                        Jan Martin wrote:
                        > Congratulations Jim!

                        Thank you.

                        > Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
                        > http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
                        > gave up on.

                        Yes I have been following Bills creations and adventures for a long time.

                        > I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens
                        > mount and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.
                        > Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for
                        > when doing it again?

                        Yes my next version might be that. Inexpensive was the current plan.
                        Already had the web-cams.
                        The Ladybug3 has 6 cameras that does 1600X1200 (2MP) at 15 fps
                        compressed or 6.5 fps uncompressed using Firewire.
                        The biggest gain in image size and speed will be with USB3 or gigabit
                        eithernet, or saving to camera local memory.
                        The cameras I am using are a combination of 4MP and 5MP but capturing
                        compressed video is limited to 15 fps at 960X720.

                        PointGrey does sell the cameras used in the Ladybug separately.
                        Or something like this http://www.vrmagic.com/en/news_img/
                        When I ordered the fisheye lenses to use with my setup I did not
                        consider the position of the NPP of the lens. The Sunex DSL209A would
                        make a tighter configuration, particularly on a 1/2" CCD sensor.
                        http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL219.PDF
                        There are the open hardware cameras, Elphel
                        http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg
                        http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

                        Jim Watters
                        > Jan
                        >
                        > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:
                        >
                        >> I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
                        >> I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
                        >> http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
                        >>
                        >> Jim Watters
                        >>
                        >> http://photocreations.ca
                        >>

                        >> Jan Martin wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                        >>> take a panos every 1 second.
                        >>> From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
                        >>> Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                        >>>
                        >>> Thanks,
                        >>> Jan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
                          Jan Martin wrote:

                          > http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
                          >
                          > Also nice overview on all the different panorama technologies available
                          > right now.

                          Nice overview, but what they write about details and drawbacks of some
                          technologies is at least partly bullshit, f.e. they write: "Reflection
                          off a nonplanar mirror is, in general, blurred because each perceived
                          image point is actually an image of an extended region in space"

                          This sentence contradicts itself, since if there is a point in the image
                          it means the image is sharp. Whether this point is a larger area in
                          reality is a question of resolution. It is true that the image in a
                          curved mirror appears very small, but this applies to fisheyes as well.

                          They write: "Single camera looking out through a fisheye lens: Images of
                          nearby objects are distorted irretrievably, ..." Well, there are a lot
                          of tight spaces sphericals shot with fisheye lenses out there which
                          prove this wrong, f.e.: http://worldwidepanorama.org/wwp_rss/go/n3858

                          I also don't understand, why a "scene must be well illuminated or slow
                          changing" in order to be shot with a fisheye or spherical mirror...

                          Obviously the writers of this page didn't learn much since their
                          "invention" back in 1995...

                          best regards
                        • Milo
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
                            Jan,

                            I was also researching on a multiple camera one shot right. So far just pure research I haven't made any major purchases :)

                            the MrotatorR panohead from Agnos can hold 3 cropped frame cameras tilted at 60 degrees. Download the examples, like the one in the gondola. But it seems you have to put this very high on your car.

                            http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_lingua=ENG&v_iss_web=0000000009070301403151786994&v_categ_lista=P0000-P0005-P0509&v_cod_art_scheda=MROTATORRPE

                            This link was sent by Phil Warner. There's a photo of a rig with 4 cameras. But this one was used on a helicopter. google aerial view?lol

                            http://www.aplanding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2175

                            We had a similar thread in the krpano forums

                            http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=935

                            Cheers,
                            Milo