Re: [PanoToolsNG] Buying or not? 360 degree one-shot camera for 1100 USD

  • Bruno Postle
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1 11:26 AM
      On Wed 01-Jul-2009 at 20:11 +0200, Jan Martin wrote:

      >What compact cameras can take (or has) fisheye lens?
      >And for just 250 USD per camera and lens together?

      Probably three or four GoPro Wide cameras could take a full 360
      panorama:

      http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=4

      I'm sure someone is doing this already.

      >And I don't get the "sequence the shots so that the back camera moves
      >forward to the front camera's old position before the shot." idea.

      If the car is moving, the back of the car is soon at the same
      location as the front.

      >Could one really get 360 degree panos in a 100% automated way using 4
      >cameras?
      >No manual stitching or correction or entering of points for matching!
      >Free Open Source software only.

      Yes you can template and script it with the hugin toolset or the
      libpano13 toolset:

      http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_scripting_in_a_nutshell

      --
      Bruno

      >On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
      >
      >> You could do the same thing with a compact camera and a cheap
      >> fisheye pointed straight up -- if you have a low car. And if
      >> you don't, you could put one on the front and one on the back and
      >> sequence the shots so that the back camera moves forward to the
      >> front camera's old position before the shot.

      >> Jan Martin wrote:
      >> > I am in the process of purchasing a 360 degree one-shot camera.
      >> > May I ask for your input?
      >> >
      >> > Please find a few examples (raw doughnuts and processed panoramas) at:
      >> >
      >> > http://mybestprojects.com/examples
      >> >
      >> > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
      >> > take a panos every 1 second.
      >> > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
    • Robert Fisher
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1 11:28 AM
        Well I wouldn't do it unless you can't afford anything else. The
        quality is very low on single shot solutions due the angular
        resolution of the mirror, which is the limiting factor these days.
        Cameras have decent resolution but small mirrors can't resolve that
        so your images will be fuzzy and noisy.

        A better solution is going to cost some money though. I have been
        working on something like this and it costs something like
        $6,000-16,000 to put together a decent rig with good resolution. To
        shoot from a moving vehicle you need cameras that can shoot high ISO
        so the shutter speed can be very high to reduce motion blur. A lot of
        considerations in doing something like this. Good quality work costs
        a certain amount of money. If you can get enough money for the
        project to write off the costs of the rig and still make money then
        that's the perfect situation.

        On Jul 1, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Jan Martin wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am in the process of purchasing a 360 degree one-shot camera.
        > May I ask for your input?
        >
        > Please find a few examples (raw doughnuts and processed panoramas) at:
        >
        > http://mybestprojects.com/examples
        >
        > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore
        > need to
        > take a panos every 1 second.
        > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
        >
        > What do you think?
        > Is this worth 1100 USD?
        >
        > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jan
        >
        > You will find 3 types of images:
        > -d frame extracted from the video the camera takes: 500-700kb
        > -p jpg pano made from doughnut: 450 kb
        > -sm smaller pano made with 75% setting from jpeg: 90-110 kb
        >
        > Please use the picture numbers for you comments:
        > 1,3,4,6,15,32.

        Cheers
        Robert Fisher
        VR Photography / Cinematography

      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1 11:32 AM
          Ken,

          Wow, that got my brain moving! If you had a Coolpix with their fisheye lens
          attached, that gives you about 185 fov, right? If you had a particular
          location that you wanted to cover TOTALLY, would the following scenario
          work?

          1. Mount the camera on a motorized platform, pointing forward so that the
          platform isn't in the photo.

          2. Set up a local GPS system that gives you perhaps centimeter or even
          millimeter accuracy. (An engineer friend of mine told me about a site he was
          working on where they had a local GPS system set up with several
          transmitters and several receivers mounted on a bulldozer. They fed in what
          they wanted the topology to be, and the bulldozer automatically adjusted the
          pitch and height of the blade.)

          3. Drive the platform around the area to be covered, taking photos at
          regular intervals in a grid pattern so that you end up with four views taken
          at each intersection of the grid.

          4. Group the images together based on their local GPS coordinates, which
          should give you four fisheye images that you can stitch together.

          5. Navigate the final array of panos which should give you a fully immersive
          tour.

          Mark
          www.pinnacle-vr.com
          www.northernlight.net
          www.360cities.net

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1 11:34 AM
            Do you want me to drive the car too?
            Here's the lens --
            http://store.nodalninja.com/category_s/30.htm
            Ebay has lots of cameras.

            Or not -- you still have the $1100 to spend on your first choice.

            Jan Martin wrote:
            > Details please.
            >
            > What compact cameras can take (or has) fisheye lens?
            > And for just 250 USD per camera and lens together?
            >
            > And I don't get the "sequence the shots so that the back camera moves
            > forward to the front camera's old position before the shot." idea.
            >
            > Could one really get 360 degree panos in a 100% automated way using 4
            > cameras?
            > No manual stitching or correction or entering of points for matching!
            > Free Open Source software only.
            >
            > Anyone done something like this?
            > ULRs of Examples please?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jan
            >
            > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
            >

            >>You could do the same thing with a compact camera and a cheap
            >>fisheye pointed straight up -- if you have a low car. And if
            >>you don't, you could put one on the front and one on the back and
            >>sequence the shots so that the back camera moves forward to the
            >>front camera's old position before the shot.
            >>
            >>Or for $1100, you could put 4 of them on your car...
            >>

            >>Jan Martin wrote:
            >>
            >>>Hi all,
            >>>
            >>>I am in the process of purchasing a 360 degree one-shot camera.
            >>>May I ask for your input?
            >>>
            >>>Please find a few examples (raw doughnuts and processed panoramas) at:
            >>>
            >>>http://mybestprojects.com/examples
            >>>
            >>>I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
            >>>take a panos every 1 second.
            >>>
            >>>What do you think?
            >>>Is this worth 1100 USD?
            >>>
            >>>Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
            >>>
            >>>Thanks,
            >>>Jan
            >>>

            >>>You will find 3 types of images:
            >>>-d frame extracted from the video the camera takes: 500-700kb
            >>>-p jpg pano made from doughnut: 450 kb
            >>>-sm smaller pano made with 75% setting from jpeg: 90-110 kb
            >>>
            >>>Please use the picture numbers for you comments:
            >>>1,3,4,6,15,32.

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1 11:52 AM
              The IPIX has about 185 degree FOV but the edges have a strong rolloff so
              you really only can use about 175 degrees.

              And I doubt that you will get cm or mm GPS accuracy. Bulldozers are not
              really mm accurate in their work :-)

              A smart guy with money to burn could do a lot of things like you suggest.
              Unfortuantely, I miss both requirements :-))))

            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1 12:05 PM
                Ah, but it's fun to dream. :o)

                How about this one then:

                Take three of the IPIX lenses, mount them back to back with a periscope
                assembly on each of them. The periscope transfers the image circles down to
                a full frame camera. I did a quick test in Photoshop, and there is room for
                three of these 14.9mm image circles on a full frame, with a tiny bit of
                overlap.

                So, instead of pointing a camera up into a mirror, you point it up into an
                array of three lenses, each of which records to a 14.9mm circle on the
                sensor at the same time.

                That would give you enough overlap between the lenses to compensate for the
                light falloff. Then, write actions in Photoshop to extract the three areas
                into separate images and stitch them together. Might even work for video?

                Mark
                www.pinnacle-vr.com
                www.northernlight.net
                www.360cities.net

              • Jan Martin
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1 12:37 PM
                  Hi all,

                  thanks for your input.

                  Ken:
                  I am aware of the GoPro cameras.

                  One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                  - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for hugin all
                  the time.
                  - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                  - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                  - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.

                  And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own car and
                  gas. ;)

                  Robert:
                  Of course I could spend more.
                  But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                  project.
                  So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight hurdle for
                  anyone to join.

                  There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better one in a
                  few months.

                  6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                  Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.

                  The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no motion blur
                  problem at all.

                  Mark:
                  GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                  Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.

                  There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its 50.000
                  USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.

                  All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do the best
                  (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that scenario.

                  Jan

                • Jan Martin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1 12:48 PM
                    Mark,

                    just found the link:

                    http://www.fullview.com/technology.html

                    Also nice overview on all the different panorama technologies available
                    right now.

                    Jan

                    On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...>wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > thanks for your input.
                    >
                    > Ken:
                    > I am aware of the GoPro cameras.
                    >
                    > One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                    > - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for hugin all
                    > the time.
                    > - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                    > - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                    > - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.
                    >
                    > And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own car and
                    > gas. ;)
                    >
                    > Robert:
                    > Of course I could spend more.
                    > But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                    > project.
                    > So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight hurdle for
                    > anyone to join.
                    >
                    > There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better one in a
                    > few months.
                    >
                    > 6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                    > Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.
                    >
                    > The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no motion blur
                    > problem at all.
                    >
                    > Mark:
                    > GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                    > Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.
                    >
                    > There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its 50.000
                    > USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.
                    >
                    > All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do the best
                    > (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that scenario.
                    >
                    > Jan

                  • Robert Fisher
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1 1:22 PM
                      Last time I checked the ladybug is $25k. I am talking about 3-4 still
                      cameras with lenses. cosumer cameras and the ladybug don't have the
                      resolution but if your goal is to do the same as Streetview then
                      that's a pretty low standard of quality. I would aim higher.

                      Also I would bet that crazy looking lens has a mirror in it otherwise
                      the image would be shaped differently.

                      On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Jan Martin wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > thanks for your input.
                      >
                      > Ken:
                      > I am aware of the GoPro cameras.
                      >
                      > One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                      > - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for
                      > hugin all
                      > the time.
                      > - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                      > - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                      > - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.
                      >
                      > And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own
                      > car and
                      > gas. ;)
                      >
                      > Robert:
                      > Of course I could spend more.
                      > But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                      > project.
                      > So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight
                      > hurdle for
                      > anyone to join.
                      >
                      > There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better
                      > one in a
                      > few months.
                      >
                      > 6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                      > Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.
                      >
                      > The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no
                      > motion blur
                      > problem at all.
                      >
                      > Mark:
                      > GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                      > Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.
                      >
                      > There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its
                      > 50.000
                      > USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.
                      >
                      > All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do
                      > the best
                      > (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that
                      > scenario.
                      >
                      > Jan

                      Cheers
                      Robert Fisher
                      VR Photography / Cinematography

                    • panovrx
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1 2:18 PM
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Fisher <bob@...> wrote:

                        > Last time I checked the ladybug is $25k. I am talking about 3-4 still
                        > cameras with lenses. cosumer cameras and the ladybug don't have the
                        > resolution but if your goal is to do the same as Streetview then
                        > that's a pretty low standard of quality. I would aim higher.
                        >
                        > Also I would bet that crazy looking lens has a mirror in it otherwise
                        > the image would be shaped differently.
                        >
                        > On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Jan Martin wrote:
                        >

                        > > Hi all,
                        > >
                        > > thanks for your input.
                        > >
                        > > Ken:
                        > > I am aware of the GoPro cameras.
                        > >
                        > > One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                        > > - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for
                        > > hugin all
                        > > the time.
                        > > - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                        > > - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                        > > - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.
                        > >
                        > > And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own
                        > > car and
                        > > gas. ;)
                        > >
                        > > Robert:
                        > > Of course I could spend more.
                        > > But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                        > > project.
                        > > So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight
                        > > hurdle for
                        > > anyone to join.
                        > >
                        > > There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better
                        > > one in a
                        > > few months.
                        > >
                        > > 6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                        > > Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.
                        > >
                        > > The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no
                        > > motion blur
                        > > problem at all.
                        > >
                        > > Mark:
                        > > GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                        > > Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.
                        > >
                        > > There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its
                        > > 50.000
                        > > USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.
                        > >
                        > > All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do
                        > > the best
                        > > (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that
                        > > scenario.
                        > >
                        > > Jan

                        > Cheers
                        > Robert Fisher
                        > VR Photography / Cinematography

                        There is a community of radio controlled model aeroplane fanatics interested in monitoring their flights in realtime via a video feed and they are working on hacking the cheap Aiptek A-HD+ video camera so that the tiny camera sensor part of the video camera can be detached and tethered with a cable to the rest of the camera. This sensor has a M12 lens mount and can be fitted with a miniature Sunex fisheye lens. Quality for stills and video with this is much better in my tests than the GoPro. (5M stills) When the detaching problem is solved (soon apparently) it will be possible to build a 3 lens fisheye module that will fit in a 1" cube I think (for about $1000US). The only problem then will be overriding the automatic exposure of the camera.
                        http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936068&page=44

                        Peter M
                      • Jim Watters
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1 9:25 PM
                          I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
                          I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
                          http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html

                          Jim Watters

                          http://photocreations.ca

                          Jan Martin wrote:
                          > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                          > take a panos every 1 second.
                          > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
                          > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Jan
                        • Jan Martin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1 10:06 PM
                            Congratulations Jim!

                            Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
                            http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
                            gave up on.

                            In the end he purchased a Ladybug rig and went on 6 month around-the-world
                            trip with his family.

                            I thought about a rig like yours.

                            However I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens mount
                            and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.

                            Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for when doing it
                            again?

                            Jan

                            On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:

                            > I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
                            > I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
                            > http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
                            >
                            > Jim Watters
                            >
                            > http://photocreations.ca
                            >

                            > Jan Martin wrote:
                            > > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                            > > take a panos every 1 second.
                            > > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
                            > > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > > Jan

                          • Jim Watters
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 2 8:42 AM
                              Jan Martin wrote:
                              > Congratulations Jim!

                              Thank you.

                              > Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
                              > http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
                              > gave up on.

                              Yes I have been following Bills creations and adventures for a long time.

                              > I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens
                              > mount and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.
                              > Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for
                              > when doing it again?

                              Yes my next version might be that. Inexpensive was the current plan.
                              Already had the web-cams.
                              The Ladybug3 has 6 cameras that does 1600X1200 (2MP) at 15 fps
                              compressed or 6.5 fps uncompressed using Firewire.
                              The biggest gain in image size and speed will be with USB3 or gigabit
                              eithernet, or saving to camera local memory.
                              The cameras I am using are a combination of 4MP and 5MP but capturing
                              compressed video is limited to 15 fps at 960X720.

                              PointGrey does sell the cameras used in the Ladybug separately.
                              Or something like this http://www.vrmagic.com/en/news_img/
                              When I ordered the fisheye lenses to use with my setup I did not
                              consider the position of the NPP of the lens. The Sunex DSL209A would
                              make a tighter configuration, particularly on a 1/2" CCD sensor.
                              http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL219.PDF
                              There are the open hardware cameras, Elphel
                              http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg
                              http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

                              Jim Watters
                              > Jan
                              >
                              > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:
                              >
                              >> I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
                              >> I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
                              >> http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
                              >>
                              >> Jim Watters
                              >>
                              >> http://photocreations.ca
                              >>

                              >> Jan Martin wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                              >>> take a panos every 1 second.
                              >>> From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
                              >>> Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                              >>>
                              >>> Thanks,
                              >>> Jan
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 2 12:26 PM
                                Jan Martin wrote:

                                > http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
                                >
                                > Also nice overview on all the different panorama technologies available
                                > right now.

                                Nice overview, but what they write about details and drawbacks of some
                                technologies is at least partly bullshit, f.e. they write: "Reflection
                                off a nonplanar mirror is, in general, blurred because each perceived
                                image point is actually an image of an extended region in space"

                                This sentence contradicts itself, since if there is a point in the image
                                it means the image is sharp. Whether this point is a larger area in
                                reality is a question of resolution. It is true that the image in a
                                curved mirror appears very small, but this applies to fisheyes as well.

                                They write: "Single camera looking out through a fisheye lens: Images of
                                nearby objects are distorted irretrievably, ..." Well, there are a lot
                                of tight spaces sphericals shot with fisheye lenses out there which
                                prove this wrong, f.e.: http://worldwidepanorama.org/wwp_rss/go/n3858

                                I also don't understand, why a "scene must be well illuminated or slow
                                changing" in order to be shot with a fisheye or spherical mirror...

                                Obviously the writers of this page didn't learn much since their
                                "invention" back in 1995...

                                best regards
                              • Milo
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 2 4:48 PM
                                  Jan,

                                  I was also researching on a multiple camera one shot right. So far just pure research I haven't made any major purchases :)

                                  the MrotatorR panohead from Agnos can hold 3 cropped frame cameras tilted at 60 degrees. Download the examples, like the one in the gondola. But it seems you have to put this very high on your car.

                                  http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_lingua=ENG&v_iss_web=0000000009070301403151786994&v_categ_lista=P0000-P0005-P0509&v_cod_art_scheda=MROTATORRPE

                                  This link was sent by Phil Warner. There's a photo of a rig with 4 cameras. But this one was used on a helicopter. google aerial view?lol

                                  http://www.aplanding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2175

                                  We had a similar thread in the krpano forums

                                  http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=935

                                  Cheers,
                                  Milo