Buying or not? 360 degree one-shot camera for 1100 USD

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi all,

      I am in the process of purchasing a 360 degree one-shot camera.
      May I ask for your input?

      Please find a few examples (raw doughnuts and processed panoramas) at:

      http://mybestprojects.com/examples

      I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
      take a panos every 1 second.
      From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.

      What do you think?
      Is this worth 1100 USD?

      Alternatives (that are robust enough)?

      Thanks,
      Jan

      You will find 3 types of images:
      -d frame extracted from the video the camera takes: 500-700kb
      -p jpg pano made from doughnut: 450 kb
      -sm smaller pano made with 75% setting from jpeg: 90-110 kb

      Please use the picture numbers for you comments:
      1,3,4,6,15,32.

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
        You could do the same thing with a compact camera and a cheap
        fisheye pointed straight up -- if you have a low car. And if
        you don't, you could put one on the front and one on the back and
        sequence the shots so that the back camera moves forward to the
        front camera's old position before the shot.

        Or for $1100, you could put 4 of them on your car...

        Jan Martin wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am in the process of purchasing a 360 degree one-shot camera.
        > May I ask for your input?
        >
        > Please find a few examples (raw doughnuts and processed panoramas) at:
        >
        > http://mybestprojects.com/examples
        >
        > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
        > take a panos every 1 second.
        >>From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
        >
        > What do you think?
        > Is this worth 1100 USD?
        >
        > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jan
        >

        > You will find 3 types of images:
        > -d frame extracted from the video the camera takes: 500-700kb
        > -p jpg pano made from doughnut: 450 kb
        > -sm smaller pano made with 75% setting from jpeg: 90-110 kb
        >
        > Please use the picture numbers for you comments:
        > 1,3,4,6,15,32.

      • Jan Martin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
          Details please.

          What compact cameras can take (or has) fisheye lens?
          And for just 250 USD per camera and lens together?

          And I don't get the "sequence the shots so that the back camera moves
          forward to the front camera's old position before the shot." idea.

          Could one really get 360 degree panos in a 100% automated way using 4
          cameras?
          No manual stitching or correction or entering of points for matching!
          Free Open Source software only.

          Anyone done something like this?
          ULRs of Examples please?

          Thanks,
          Jan

          On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

          > You could do the same thing with a compact camera and a cheap
          > fisheye pointed straight up -- if you have a low car. And if
          > you don't, you could put one on the front and one on the back and
          > sequence the shots so that the back camera moves forward to the
          > front camera's old position before the shot.
          >
          > Or for $1100, you could put 4 of them on your car...
          >

          > Jan Martin wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I am in the process of purchasing a 360 degree one-shot camera.
          > > May I ask for your input?
          > >
          > > Please find a few examples (raw doughnuts and processed panoramas) at:
          > >
          > > http://mybestprojects.com/examples
          > >
          > > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
          > > take a panos every 1 second.
          > >>From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
          > >
          > > What do you think?
          > > Is this worth 1100 USD?
          > >
          > > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jan
          > >

          > > You will find 3 types of images:
          > > -d frame extracted from the video the camera takes: 500-700kb
          > > -p jpg pano made from doughnut: 450 kb
          > > -sm smaller pano made with 75% setting from jpeg: 90-110 kb
          > >
          > > Please use the picture numbers for you comments:
          > > 1,3,4,6,15,32.

        • Bruno Postle
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
            On Wed 01-Jul-2009 at 20:11 +0200, Jan Martin wrote:

            >What compact cameras can take (or has) fisheye lens?
            >And for just 250 USD per camera and lens together?

            Probably three or four GoPro Wide cameras could take a full 360
            panorama:

            http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=4

            I'm sure someone is doing this already.

            >And I don't get the "sequence the shots so that the back camera moves
            >forward to the front camera's old position before the shot." idea.

            If the car is moving, the back of the car is soon at the same
            location as the front.

            >Could one really get 360 degree panos in a 100% automated way using 4
            >cameras?
            >No manual stitching or correction or entering of points for matching!
            >Free Open Source software only.

            Yes you can template and script it with the hugin toolset or the
            libpano13 toolset:

            http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_scripting_in_a_nutshell

            --
            Bruno

            >On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
            >
            >> You could do the same thing with a compact camera and a cheap
            >> fisheye pointed straight up -- if you have a low car. And if
            >> you don't, you could put one on the front and one on the back and
            >> sequence the shots so that the back camera moves forward to the
            >> front camera's old position before the shot.

            >> Jan Martin wrote:
            >> > I am in the process of purchasing a 360 degree one-shot camera.
            >> > May I ask for your input?
            >> >
            >> > Please find a few examples (raw doughnuts and processed panoramas) at:
            >> >
            >> > http://mybestprojects.com/examples
            >> >
            >> > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
            >> > take a panos every 1 second.
            >> > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
          • Robert Fisher
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
              Well I wouldn't do it unless you can't afford anything else. The
              quality is very low on single shot solutions due the angular
              resolution of the mirror, which is the limiting factor these days.
              Cameras have decent resolution but small mirrors can't resolve that
              so your images will be fuzzy and noisy.

              A better solution is going to cost some money though. I have been
              working on something like this and it costs something like
              $6,000-16,000 to put together a decent rig with good resolution. To
              shoot from a moving vehicle you need cameras that can shoot high ISO
              so the shutter speed can be very high to reduce motion blur. A lot of
              considerations in doing something like this. Good quality work costs
              a certain amount of money. If you can get enough money for the
              project to write off the costs of the rig and still make money then
              that's the perfect situation.

              On Jul 1, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Jan Martin wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I am in the process of purchasing a 360 degree one-shot camera.
              > May I ask for your input?
              >
              > Please find a few examples (raw doughnuts and processed panoramas) at:
              >
              > http://mybestprojects.com/examples
              >
              > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore
              > need to
              > take a panos every 1 second.
              > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
              >
              > What do you think?
              > Is this worth 1100 USD?
              >
              > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Jan
              >
              > You will find 3 types of images:
              > -d frame extracted from the video the camera takes: 500-700kb
              > -p jpg pano made from doughnut: 450 kb
              > -sm smaller pano made with 75% setting from jpeg: 90-110 kb
              >
              > Please use the picture numbers for you comments:
              > 1,3,4,6,15,32.

              Cheers
              Robert Fisher
              VR Photography / Cinematography

            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                Ken,

                Wow, that got my brain moving! If you had a Coolpix with their fisheye lens
                attached, that gives you about 185 fov, right? If you had a particular
                location that you wanted to cover TOTALLY, would the following scenario
                work?

                1. Mount the camera on a motorized platform, pointing forward so that the
                platform isn't in the photo.

                2. Set up a local GPS system that gives you perhaps centimeter or even
                millimeter accuracy. (An engineer friend of mine told me about a site he was
                working on where they had a local GPS system set up with several
                transmitters and several receivers mounted on a bulldozer. They fed in what
                they wanted the topology to be, and the bulldozer automatically adjusted the
                pitch and height of the blade.)

                3. Drive the platform around the area to be covered, taking photos at
                regular intervals in a grid pattern so that you end up with four views taken
                at each intersection of the grid.

                4. Group the images together based on their local GPS coordinates, which
                should give you four fisheye images that you can stitch together.

                5. Navigate the final array of panos which should give you a fully immersive
                tour.

                Mark
                www.pinnacle-vr.com
                www.northernlight.net
                www.360cities.net

              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Do you want me to drive the car too?
                  Here's the lens --
                  http://store.nodalninja.com/category_s/30.htm
                  Ebay has lots of cameras.

                  Or not -- you still have the $1100 to spend on your first choice.

                  Jan Martin wrote:
                  > Details please.
                  >
                  > What compact cameras can take (or has) fisheye lens?
                  > And for just 250 USD per camera and lens together?
                  >
                  > And I don't get the "sequence the shots so that the back camera moves
                  > forward to the front camera's old position before the shot." idea.
                  >
                  > Could one really get 360 degree panos in a 100% automated way using 4
                  > cameras?
                  > No manual stitching or correction or entering of points for matching!
                  > Free Open Source software only.
                  >
                  > Anyone done something like this?
                  > ULRs of Examples please?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Jan
                  >
                  > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>You could do the same thing with a compact camera and a cheap
                  >>fisheye pointed straight up -- if you have a low car. And if
                  >>you don't, you could put one on the front and one on the back and
                  >>sequence the shots so that the back camera moves forward to the
                  >>front camera's old position before the shot.
                  >>
                  >>Or for $1100, you could put 4 of them on your car...
                  >>

                  >>Jan Martin wrote:
                  >>
                  >>>Hi all,
                  >>>
                  >>>I am in the process of purchasing a 360 degree one-shot camera.
                  >>>May I ask for your input?
                  >>>
                  >>>Please find a few examples (raw doughnuts and processed panoramas) at:
                  >>>
                  >>>http://mybestprojects.com/examples
                  >>>
                  >>>I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                  >>>take a panos every 1 second.
                  >>>
                  >>>What do you think?
                  >>>Is this worth 1100 USD?
                  >>>
                  >>>Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                  >>>
                  >>>Thanks,
                  >>>Jan
                  >>>

                  >>>You will find 3 types of images:
                  >>>-d frame extracted from the video the camera takes: 500-700kb
                  >>>-p jpg pano made from doughnut: 450 kb
                  >>>-sm smaller pano made with 75% setting from jpeg: 90-110 kb
                  >>>
                  >>>Please use the picture numbers for you comments:
                  >>>1,3,4,6,15,32.

                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                    The IPIX has about 185 degree FOV but the edges have a strong rolloff so
                    you really only can use about 175 degrees.

                    And I doubt that you will get cm or mm GPS accuracy. Bulldozers are not
                    really mm accurate in their work :-)

                    A smart guy with money to burn could do a lot of things like you suggest.
                    Unfortuantely, I miss both requirements :-))))

                  • Mark D. Fink
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                      Ah, but it's fun to dream. :o)

                      How about this one then:

                      Take three of the IPIX lenses, mount them back to back with a periscope
                      assembly on each of them. The periscope transfers the image circles down to
                      a full frame camera. I did a quick test in Photoshop, and there is room for
                      three of these 14.9mm image circles on a full frame, with a tiny bit of
                      overlap.

                      So, instead of pointing a camera up into a mirror, you point it up into an
                      array of three lenses, each of which records to a 14.9mm circle on the
                      sensor at the same time.

                      That would give you enough overlap between the lenses to compensate for the
                      light falloff. Then, write actions in Photoshop to extract the three areas
                      into separate images and stitch them together. Might even work for video?

                      Mark
                      www.pinnacle-vr.com
                      www.northernlight.net
                      www.360cities.net

                    • Jan Martin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Hi all,

                        thanks for your input.

                        Ken:
                        I am aware of the GoPro cameras.

                        One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                        - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for hugin all
                        the time.
                        - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                        - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                        - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.

                        And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own car and
                        gas. ;)

                        Robert:
                        Of course I could spend more.
                        But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                        project.
                        So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight hurdle for
                        anyone to join.

                        There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better one in a
                        few months.

                        6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                        Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.

                        The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no motion blur
                        problem at all.

                        Mark:
                        GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                        Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.

                        There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its 50.000
                        USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.

                        All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do the best
                        (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that scenario.

                        Jan

                      • Jan Martin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                          Mark,

                          just found the link:

                          http://www.fullview.com/technology.html

                          Also nice overview on all the different panorama technologies available
                          right now.

                          Jan

                          On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Jan Martin <janmartin3@...>wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > thanks for your input.
                          >
                          > Ken:
                          > I am aware of the GoPro cameras.
                          >
                          > One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                          > - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for hugin all
                          > the time.
                          > - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                          > - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                          > - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.
                          >
                          > And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own car and
                          > gas. ;)
                          >
                          > Robert:
                          > Of course I could spend more.
                          > But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                          > project.
                          > So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight hurdle for
                          > anyone to join.
                          >
                          > There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better one in a
                          > few months.
                          >
                          > 6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                          > Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.
                          >
                          > The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no motion blur
                          > problem at all.
                          >
                          > Mark:
                          > GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                          > Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.
                          >
                          > There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its 50.000
                          > USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.
                          >
                          > All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do the best
                          > (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that scenario.
                          >
                          > Jan

                        • Robert Fisher
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                            Last time I checked the ladybug is $25k. I am talking about 3-4 still
                            cameras with lenses. cosumer cameras and the ladybug don't have the
                            resolution but if your goal is to do the same as Streetview then
                            that's a pretty low standard of quality. I would aim higher.

                            Also I would bet that crazy looking lens has a mirror in it otherwise
                            the image would be shaped differently.

                            On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Jan Martin wrote:

                            > Hi all,
                            >
                            > thanks for your input.
                            >
                            > Ken:
                            > I am aware of the GoPro cameras.
                            >
                            > One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                            > - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for
                            > hugin all
                            > the time.
                            > - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                            > - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                            > - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.
                            >
                            > And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own
                            > car and
                            > gas. ;)
                            >
                            > Robert:
                            > Of course I could spend more.
                            > But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                            > project.
                            > So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight
                            > hurdle for
                            > anyone to join.
                            >
                            > There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better
                            > one in a
                            > few months.
                            >
                            > 6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                            > Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.
                            >
                            > The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no
                            > motion blur
                            > problem at all.
                            >
                            > Mark:
                            > GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                            > Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.
                            >
                            > There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its
                            > 50.000
                            > USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.
                            >
                            > All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do
                            > the best
                            > (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that
                            > scenario.
                            >
                            > Jan

                            Cheers
                            Robert Fisher
                            VR Photography / Cinematography

                          • panovrx
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Fisher <bob@...> wrote:

                              > Last time I checked the ladybug is $25k. I am talking about 3-4 still
                              > cameras with lenses. cosumer cameras and the ladybug don't have the
                              > resolution but if your goal is to do the same as Streetview then
                              > that's a pretty low standard of quality. I would aim higher.
                              >
                              > Also I would bet that crazy looking lens has a mirror in it otherwise
                              > the image would be shaped differently.
                              >
                              > On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Jan Martin wrote:
                              >

                              > > Hi all,
                              > >
                              > > thanks for your input.
                              > >
                              > > Ken:
                              > > I am aware of the GoPro cameras.
                              > >
                              > > One would "just" have to solve these problems:
                              > > - Reliably adjust the cameras so one could use same templates for
                              > > hugin all
                              > > the time.
                              > > - Arrange power supply while in water-proof casing.
                              > > - Control 4 cameras to fire at once.
                              > > - Get the pictures out of 4 cameras without disassembling everything.
                              > >
                              > > And yes, I need drivers very soon, but you need to bring your own
                              > > car and
                              > > gas. ;)
                              > >
                              > > Robert:
                              > > Of course I could spend more.
                              > > But I am building a prototype and complete workflow for a grass-root
                              > > project.
                              > > So a 15.000 USD entry fee for a Ladybug rig is a pretty hight
                              > > hurdle for
                              > > anyone to join.
                              > >
                              > > There is no mirror, just a crazy-looking lens. And I get an better
                              > > one in a
                              > > few months.
                              > >
                              > > 6.000- 16.000 USD that is the price range of a Ladybug rig.
                              > > Therefore I wouldn't construct a rig for that money myself anymore.
                              > >
                              > > The example pictures have been taken from a moving car, so no
                              > > motion blur
                              > > problem at all.
                              > >
                              > > Mark:
                              > > GPS-idea not going to work for lots of GPS reasons.
                              > > Periscope idea not working for lots of die-hard-math optical reasons.
                              > >
                              > > There is a commercial solution for the periscope idea of yours. Its
                              > > 50.000
                              > > USD minimum. Used on aircraft carriers mostly. So no luck.
                              > >
                              > > All you can hope for is to put 3 or 4 cameras back to back and do
                              > > the best
                              > > (e.g. blending) to cover for parallax problems arising from that
                              > > scenario.
                              > >
                              > > Jan

                              > Cheers
                              > Robert Fisher
                              > VR Photography / Cinematography

                              There is a community of radio controlled model aeroplane fanatics interested in monitoring their flights in realtime via a video feed and they are working on hacking the cheap Aiptek A-HD+ video camera so that the tiny camera sensor part of the video camera can be detached and tethered with a cable to the rest of the camera. This sensor has a M12 lens mount and can be fitted with a miniature Sunex fisheye lens. Quality for stills and video with this is much better in my tests than the GoPro. (5M stills) When the detaching problem is solved (soon apparently) it will be possible to build a 3 lens fisheye module that will fit in a 1" cube I think (for about $1000US). The only problem then will be overriding the automatic exposure of the camera.
                              http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936068&page=44

                              Peter M
                            • Jim Watters
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                                I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
                                I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
                                http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html

                                Jim Watters

                                http://photocreations.ca

                                Jan Martin wrote:
                                > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                                > take a panos every 1 second.
                                > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
                                > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Jan
                              • Jan Martin
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
                                  Congratulations Jim!

                                  Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
                                  http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
                                  gave up on.

                                  In the end he purchased a Ladybug rig and went on 6 month around-the-world
                                  trip with his family.

                                  I thought about a rig like yours.

                                  However I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens mount
                                  and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.

                                  Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for when doing it
                                  again?

                                  Jan

                                  On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:

                                  > I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
                                  > I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
                                  > http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
                                  >
                                  > Jim Watters
                                  >
                                  > http://photocreations.ca
                                  >

                                  > Jan Martin wrote:
                                  > > I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                                  > > take a panos every 1 second.
                                  > > From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
                                  > > Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks,
                                  > > Jan

                                • Jim Watters
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
                                    Jan Martin wrote:
                                    > Congratulations Jim!

                                    Thank you.

                                    > Seems you managed to do what Bill Meikle over at
                                    > http://www.vrhotwires.com/InexpensivePanoramicVideo.html
                                    > gave up on.

                                    Yes I have been following Bills creations and adventures for a long time.

                                    > I would have gone for circuit board cameras with a proper lens
                                    > mount and machine the rack from a block of aluminum.
                                    > Given your experience, what camera and setup would you got for
                                    > when doing it again?

                                    Yes my next version might be that. Inexpensive was the current plan.
                                    Already had the web-cams.
                                    The Ladybug3 has 6 cameras that does 1600X1200 (2MP) at 15 fps
                                    compressed or 6.5 fps uncompressed using Firewire.
                                    The biggest gain in image size and speed will be with USB3 or gigabit
                                    eithernet, or saving to camera local memory.
                                    The cameras I am using are a combination of 4MP and 5MP but capturing
                                    compressed video is limited to 15 fps at 960X720.

                                    PointGrey does sell the cameras used in the Ladybug separately.
                                    Or something like this http://www.vrmagic.com/en/news_img/
                                    When I ordered the fisheye lenses to use with my setup I did not
                                    consider the position of the NPP of the lens. The Sunex DSL209A would
                                    make a tighter configuration, particularly on a 1/2" CCD sensor.
                                    http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL219.PDF
                                    There are the open hardware cameras, Elphel
                                    http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg
                                    http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

                                    Jim Watters
                                    > Jan
                                    >
                                    > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Jim Watters <jwatters@...>wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> I have been working on a multi-camera rig for shooting panorama video.
                                    >> I used inexpensive web-cams because we already had them.
                                    >> http://photocreations.ca/panhead/index.html
                                    >>
                                    >> Jim Watters
                                    >>
                                    >> http://photocreations.ca
                                    >>

                                    >> Jan Martin wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> I'd like to do a kind of Google streetview website and therefore need to
                                    >>> take a panos every 1 second.
                                    >>> From rooftop of a moving car, motorbike, bicycle or on foot.
                                    >>> Alternatives (that are robust enough)?
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Thanks,
                                    >>> Jan
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
                                      Jan Martin wrote:

                                      > http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
                                      >
                                      > Also nice overview on all the different panorama technologies available
                                      > right now.

                                      Nice overview, but what they write about details and drawbacks of some
                                      technologies is at least partly bullshit, f.e. they write: "Reflection
                                      off a nonplanar mirror is, in general, blurred because each perceived
                                      image point is actually an image of an extended region in space"

                                      This sentence contradicts itself, since if there is a point in the image
                                      it means the image is sharp. Whether this point is a larger area in
                                      reality is a question of resolution. It is true that the image in a
                                      curved mirror appears very small, but this applies to fisheyes as well.

                                      They write: "Single camera looking out through a fisheye lens: Images of
                                      nearby objects are distorted irretrievably, ..." Well, there are a lot
                                      of tight spaces sphericals shot with fisheye lenses out there which
                                      prove this wrong, f.e.: http://worldwidepanorama.org/wwp_rss/go/n3858

                                      I also don't understand, why a "scene must be well illuminated or slow
                                      changing" in order to be shot with a fisheye or spherical mirror...

                                      Obviously the writers of this page didn't learn much since their
                                      "invention" back in 1995...

                                      best regards
                                    • Milo
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
                                        Jan,

                                        I was also researching on a multiple camera one shot right. So far just pure research I haven't made any major purchases :)

                                        the MrotatorR panohead from Agnos can hold 3 cropped frame cameras tilted at 60 degrees. Download the examples, like the one in the gondola. But it seems you have to put this very high on your car.

                                        http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_lingua=ENG&v_iss_web=0000000009070301403151786994&v_categ_lista=P0000-P0005-P0509&v_cod_art_scheda=MROTATORRPE

                                        This link was sent by Phil Warner. There's a photo of a rig with 4 cameras. But this one was used on a helicopter. google aerial view?lol

                                        http://www.aplanding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2175

                                        We had a similar thread in the krpano forums

                                        http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=935

                                        Cheers,
                                        Milo